Author Topic: Neopolitan pizza in a Marsal brick oven  (Read 2262 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Neopolitan pizza in a Marsal brick oven
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 12:41:48 AM »
Supino here in Detroit makes New York Style pies with more artisan toppings in a Marsal oven.  Their pies would sell like hot cakes in any high end restaurant. Want some proof?  Zagat's actually ranks them as Detroit's top Restaurant, that's not just pizzerias, the best of all eateries in the Metro Detroit area.  Pretty serious stuff.

I would take any advice Scott gives you, work on some artisan style toppings, increase the pies from 12" to 14", and be prepared to make a lot of pizza because you will have a serious winner.

Some advice from a different scott here.....     My sister lives in San Fran, so I have been to delfina.    Dave at pizzeria supino in detroit paid me to help him pick the right oven and develop his pizza recipe (toppings are all his, tho) , so I know that pizza pretty well too.   Bottom line is, both pizzas are very different and both viable options to serve at any professional pizzeria.       

My advice is listen to chau.....    try his thing, but also listen to scott and try a malted american flour as well...   If your interested, Supino is using pillsbury xxxx, so their track record has proven that it works well in that oven.       

I honestly think you can get a great pizza either way, but of course a bromated malted flour is going to be a little easier to deal with, and caputo will be a little more pale.   (although dave actually pulls the pies at supino pretty early, so they are on the pale side too even though they have the malt).     
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 02:20:08 PM by scott r »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 01:29:52 AM »
Thanks for posting the photo. A photo speaks a 1000 words. I appreciate your willingness to share for the benefit of everyone on the forum. Only wish i could taste your pizza. Thanks again.

TomN

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 12:23:42 PM »
Here's a pizza from the oven this morning not quite hot enough yet. Decent cornicione and quite tender with nice crumb.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 12:36:05 PM »
Nice.  I like the way the cheese melts.  What is the flour and bake time?

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 12:43:07 PM »
Flour is all trumps as that's all I had besides caputo. As I said oven was only at 520 when I baked it and it took around 6 minutes.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 01:41:36 PM »
Oh, if you have all trumps try going right down the middle.... 50/50 caputo all trumps.... somewhere in the 60's for hydration.... minimal mixing, well fermented dough......  I do this all the time with 650 degree bakes.     You can blow people away with pies like that.    good luck!   

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2013, 02:12:04 PM »
Good idea Scott r.  I think Di Fara does something similar.  75/25 00/AT.  It's about making a moderate well hydrated dough and developing the gluten pretty well.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2013, 03:01:35 PM »
your right, he was blending the two for many years,  but its possible Dom has stopped blending in the AT.... he has almost no char any more unfortunately.     

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2013, 03:24:20 PM »
Here's another shot. Very pleased with the outcome.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2013, 03:56:22 PM »
My neck is getting stiff, looking at your wonderful picks, sideways. :(
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline nyyankees325

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2013, 07:24:26 PM »
looks good aim for a luzzos style maybe,  even though they use coal

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2013, 08:56:13 PM »
Luzzos is always tweaking and changing their dough in subtle ways.   At one time they were definitely blending an italian 00 flour (san felice) and all trumps, but now they are supposedly 100% bromated malted flour (another brand now, not all trumps).    Great pizzeria, and nice call, thats a good place to try to emulate for a high class pizza.   Their oven is definitely hotter than 650, though.   

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2013, 09:02:43 AM »
Luzzos is always tweaking and changing their dough in subtle ways.   At one time they were definitely blending an italian 00 flour (san felice) and all trumps, but now they are supposedly 100% bromated malted flour (another brand now, not all trumps).    Great pizzeria, and nice call, thats a good place to try to emulate for a high class pizza.   Their oven is definitely hotter than 650, though.

I've noticed minor changes each time I've been to Luzzos. A Margherita I had there three years or so back is still on my top five all-time best list. One thing that has been consistent is a ~2:00 bake, so I'd guess 750-775F.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2013, 11:03:06 PM »
Weird thing happened to me during a test batch that had never happened to me before. I made a batch as normal and bulk rose for an hour balled and then let rest 1 hour before cold rise of 24 hours. When I went to stretch a ball the dough was very tough kind of fighting me. What can cause this?