Author Topic: Does anybody add seasoning to their dough?  (Read 1192 times)

Offline yakfish

• I Love Pizza!
Does anybody add seasoning to their dough?
« on: April 18, 2013, 04:45:33 PM »
We have a good recipe for dough I really like the texture and it rises nicely (yeast dough) but it is lacking flavor. I have been considering adding some Italian style seasoning ( basil, oregano rosemary, ect.) to the dough maybe some garlic as well. Would this have much of an effect on the texture or effect the dough ability to rise?

Thanks

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
Re: Does anybody add seasoning to their dough?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 04:57:45 PM »
Yak;
A number of years ago all of the big box chains were offering an herb crust, then there was the "dirty" crust with the herbs tacked on to the outside of the dough. We have made herb dough by using the packaged Italian seasoning mix and just blending it into the dough and we have also made it by making our own herb blend consisting of dried basil, oregano, garlic, onion, sundried tomato, dried red and green pepper and a little ground white pepper. Depending upon how much onion and garlic that you use the dough might be a little softer than normal, but if you do any hand kneading you can just knead in a little additional flour to compensate for the softening effect of the onion/garlic. Aside form that, no real surprises.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 11:16:05 PM »
by flavor, do you mean it tastes like an unsalted, saltless generic soup cracker?
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 07:39:30 AM »
Flavor is the combination of aroma and taste. An herb flavored crust is just the opposite of a saltless soup cracker. It is loaded with flavor from the herbs that are added even if the dough itself doesn't contain and salt, the herbs can still carry the flavor of the finished crust. This is how the salt substitute "Mrs. Dash" works, at least from a flavor stand point.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 08:02:26 AM »
How about adding some msg to the dough ? Should it be blended with the flours or water ?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 08:23:50 AM »
As a pizza professional, I suspect that c0mpl3x was being facetious or speaking with tongue in cheek. There are now quite a few pizzerias that offer flavored crusts, including Hungry Howie's and Jet's, to name a couple. Maybe those flavored crusts are uninspiring, although Hungry Howie's seems to the leader of the pack on flavored crusts: http://www.hungryhowies.com/.

Peter

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 08:46:13 AM »
We have a good recipe for dough I really like the texture and it rises nicely (yeast dough) but it is lacking flavor. I have been considering adding some Italian style seasoning ( basil, oregano rosemary, ect.) to the dough maybe some garlic as well. Would this have much of an effect on the texture or effect the dough ability to rise?

Thanks
I went totally off the norm with my dough for tonight and made it with Coors lite beer, dried basil & garlic granules so I'll see how it turns out tonight and post here.
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Offline yakfish

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 11:52:17 AM »
Thanks for the replies so far. Our crust does taste kind of bland. The pizza I think is very good, but when you are finished with the pizza part and left with just the crust in your hand there is no taste to look forward to. I think we might try butter in the dough in place of EVOO along with some other seasonings and see how that turns out...

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 12:26:10 PM »
Yakfish;
You might want to check the salt level in your dough since salt is a major flavor contributor to the finished crust. We normally look for the salt level to be a minimum of 1.5% of the total flour weight. I personally like to use 1.75 or 2%. Fermentation is also responsible for a good chunk of the finished crust flavor too. Can you share with us how you are managing your dough? By this I mean, what you do with the dough from the time it is mixed until you actually use it. Substitution of the olive oil with butter will add a dairy note to the finished crust. Some other options are to brush the finished crust with olive oil or butter to impart some additional flavor.

Offline yakfish

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 01:46:51 PM »
Yakfish;
You might want to check the salt level in your dough since salt is a major flavor contributor to the finished crust. We normally look for the salt level to be a minimum of 1.5% of the total flour weight. I personally like to use 1.75 or 2%. Fermentation is also responsible for a good chunk of the finished crust flavor too. Can you share with us how you are managing your dough? By this I mean, what you do with the dough from the time it is mixed until you actually use it. Substitution of the olive oil with butter will add a dairy note to the finished crust. Some other options are to brush the finished crust with olive oil or butter to impart some additional flavor.

The recipe we are using calls for 780 total grams of flour and 25 grams of salt.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 02:25:01 PM »
Yakfish;
Never mind the salt, you're at 3.2% already. I would think the crust might be tasting slightly salty.
Is there a possibility that all that salt is inhibiting fermentation to the point of impacting flavor?

Offline yakfish

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 04:05:49 PM »
Yakfish;
Never mind the salt, you're at 3.2% already. I would think the crust might be tasting slightly salty.
Is there a possibility that all that salt is inhibiting fermentation to the point of impacting flavor?

I don't know enough about the subject to be able to say one way or the other.

We just tried a new batch of dough that turned out much better. I re-read the recipe we put together and the 3.2% is what we were going to try with the new batch, not what we used previously. Previously we were only half that, so 1.6% salt.  this batch tastes much better. In addition to increasing the salt we substituted the oil for butter. pretty happy with the result so far! The next batch we will use garlic salt instead of just plain salt and see what happens.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 10:28:50 PM »
As a pizza professional, I suspect that c0mpl3x was being facetious or speaking with tongue in cheek. There are now quite a few pizzerias that offer flavored crusts, including Hungry Howie's and Jet's, to name a couple. Maybe those flavored crusts are uninspiring, although Hungry Howie's seems to the leader of the pack on flavored crusts: http://www.hungryhowies.com/.

Peter

pete, I was referring to what Dr. Dough answered after you replied to this.  seasonings are irrelevant if there isn't salt to make the 'taste', if you follow.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.