Author Topic: Funny little wfo  (Read 1362 times)

Offline Morgan

Funny little wfo
« on: April 24, 2013, 05:29:06 AM »
I saw this oven on ebay a while ago, for sure seems like a nice thing and probably is working too. What do you think guys ?
It looks like a cast iron to me, not sure about that.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 05:31:02 AM by Morgan »

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Funny little wfo
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 09:10:29 AM »
I saw this oven on ebay a while ago, for sure seems like a nice thing and probably is working too. What do you think guys ?
It looks like a cast iron to me, not sure about that.

I'm guessing it's not cast iron.

I think it is safe to say it will not stay very hot once you start baking as there will be no room for fire and it is not insulated.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline oknewell

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 05:04:22 PM »
Looks great for camping/RV-ing

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 05:10:20 PM »
I'm confused how having an oven that doesn't work be great for anything? Wouldn't that be like having a thorny lemon tree that doesn't bear any fruit?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 05:14:18 PM »
I'm confused how having an oven that doesn't work be great for anything? Wouldn't that be like having a thorny lemon tree that doesn't bear any fruit?

Have you tested similar oven ?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 05:56:57 PM »
Have you tested similar oven ?

No, I have not, and if I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it. Notwithstanding, I know a little bit about ovens and what it takes to bake a good pizza.

That oven is simply too small to hold a pizza and enough fire to overcome the lack of insulation and a chimney that is all but in the center of the dome. The flames coming out the chimney show you where what little heat there is is going. Even if you only made a 6" pizza, I don't think you could have enough fire - and even if I'm wrong about that, I think you would have one heck of a hard time not burning the edges to a carbon crisp.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 01:58:54 AM »
Do you think it would work better without the chimney ?

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 07:19:56 AM »
Morgan, this is not a European vs. American criticism... size matters.   There are minimum limits on a wood-fired hearth oven.   The size of that chamber may work for a propane-fueled oven, but there is simply not enough room in it for a wood fire and what you are cooking at the same time, and not enough mass to retain heat long enough to cook without a fire.   

The chimney does not matter.

You can still make it work if you can somehow (safely!) mount a propane burner on it.

I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline MaximusTG

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 07:25:52 AM »
Ebay ad lists dimensions as 50 cm diameter and 50 cm height (= 19,6 inches). Cooking area of 47 cm.

Offline nyyankees325

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 11:53:35 AM »
Ebay ad lists dimensions as 50 cm diameter and 50 cm height (= 19,6 inches). Cooking area of 47 cm.

So, let's think about this for a minute.

Assumptions:
- 9" (22.8cm) pies - that's tiny!
- bake 2" (4.9cm) from the fire - that's too close!
- you can't bake at the mouth of the oven because of the relative volume of cold air rushing in,
- you can't bake too far towards the back, or there will be no room for a fire given the size of the mouth relative to the size of the oven,
- the fire will have to be at the side.

That leaves about 0.057m2 or area for a fire. Let's say the fire is on average 10cm deep (given the size of the oven, that would be really deep Ė you can only stack the coals so high at the edge). Letís assume the volume occupied by the fire is 1/3 air. You could theoretically load it up with about 6 pounds of wood (0.006m3 x 2/3 x 1625lbs/m3). At 6,140BTU/lb, and maybe you turn the entire volume of wood every 90 minutes, thatís a 25,000BTU oven (with a lot of generous assumptions). To put that into perspective, my old grill mod was 65,000BTU+ with no chimney and it still needed 10 layers of insulation to maintain enough heat. This oven has no insulation and a chimney that sucks heat straight out of the dome.

Now add considerations such as the volume of cold air entering the oven relative to the volume of hot air in the oven. It's almost 1:1.

Iím standing by my original assessment.
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan