Author Topic: Sourdough pizza with smoked mortadella  (Read 561 times)

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Sourdough pizza with smoked mortadella
« on: April 18, 2013, 11:55:31 PM »
This from Easter Sunday when I was in a baking frenzy.  6:15am or so, my dough had fermented for +/- 24 hours, looking very alive, and as I was preparing the oven, stone, etc, I realized that I had no flour... All I needed was a little bench flour... No worries, there's a bakery on the corner a block away. They didn't have any packaged flour in stock on the shelves, so I talked one of the girls into selling me a kilo from the production supply.  While I was waiting, I had 200 grams of smoked mortadella sliced.  I mentioned that I was going to make some pizza, to which they seemed a bit surprised (possible because it was 6:45am, Easter Sunday :-D). One of the workers mentioned  "bring us a slice later on", and I thought to myself, "why not?".

Back home, I opened the disk and topped it with hand crushed canned tomatoes and olive oil, light sprinkling of mozzarella and baked it for about 6 minutes with the broiler on.  I was reminded as to how well sourdough resists browning! I let the pie cool a bit, then added chopped grape tomatoes that were tossed in EVOO, basil, oregano and sea salt, a loose layer of smoked mortadella, then dusted it all with finely grated pecorino. The combination of sour, sweet and savory/salty worked for me. The crumb wasn't as open as I'd like, in fact I thought it was pretty flat - but the flavor was good.  I brought a warm slice for each of the bakery staff, and wished them a Happy Easter.

Recipe:

100% AP flour
67% water
3% active homemade grapeskin s.dough culture
2% salt
Il miglior fabbro

Offline PizzaJerk

Re: Sourdough pizza with smoked mortadella
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 11:39:42 AM »
Nice looking pie  :pizza:
From your experience, what kind of difference does your grapeskin culture yield over a preferment made with cake yeast or even ADY for that matter? In terms of flavor, overall texture and spring.

Anthony
May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 01:47:44 PM »
Nice looking pizza, and I bet it ate even better.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 06:20:38 PM »
Nice looking pie  :pizza:
From your experience, what kind of difference does your grapeskin culture yield over a preferment made with cake yeast or even ADY for that matter? In terms of flavor, overall texture and spring.

Anthony

Thanks Anthony!  I'm no sourdough expert, nor do I play one on TV ;D, but the biggest difference is flavor. SD produces a lactic tang that CY/ADY can't alone.  I do like the reliability of CY/IDY/ADY. SD requires a lot more attention to get right. As to texture - they're pretty close, but this is  a tough one since I usually use little to no oil for my SD breads/pizzas.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 06:25:06 PM »
Nice looking pizza, and I bet it ate even better.

It wasn't too shabby. The other day I bought some more CY at the bakery and asked one of the girls what they thought of the pizza. She mentioned something to the effect of "It was good, I never had a pizza with mortadella before, and such little toppings....different, but good."  :-D
Il miglior fabbro

pizzapan