Author Topic: Where can I get Grande for CHEAP???  (Read 1832 times)

Offline tdub154420

Where can I get Grande for CHEAP???
« on: April 19, 2013, 12:54:01 AM »
So I made a topic about 6 months ago about trying to find substitutes for Grande...well there are none.  The pizzas that I have made with Grande cheese (the 50/50) have been the best pizzas I have ever made.  It really is what makes my pizzas taste like genuine NY pizzas.  That and my cans of 6 in 1's.   

So I've given up on finding a substitute.  In my mind, a substitute doesn't exist.  I need to find where I can get some of the real stuff, but for CHEAP. 

My most reliable Italian Deli (which is 20 miles from me  :( ) has all varieties of Grande cheese but not for cheap.  So I did do my research and I went straight to Grande and asked them who they distribute to in my area.  Well I live in Denver, Colorado and the list that was sent to me was not extensive.  This list did lead me to a deli that was less than a mile from my house....but it only sold Grande provolone and at nearly $8 a pound none the less.  The other deli's I tried out were the same, they didn't sell a variety of Grande cheese and the cheese they did sell wasn't cheap.  I even went to one deli where I was viciously interrogated by an elderly Italian woman who was suspicious as to why I was buying such a large quantity of their cheese.  At this deli they were so frightened of culinary espionage that they actually left all of their supplies in unmarked bags, I only knew it was Grande cause I had info from Grande themselves. 

Well needless to say I only have one option if I want to make real NY Pizzas.  And thats to pay.  By the time I drive 20 miles and pay for expensive cheese though, I'm almost paying more to make the pizzas than I would just to buy the pizzas from a pizzeria. 

Does anybody know of any online retailers or perhaps a chain that Grande neglected to mention to me where I could get some Grande cheese at a reasonable price??
- Trevor

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Where can I get Grande for CHEAP???
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 06:10:56 AM »
Trevor,

I canít even purchase Grande cheese from Grande because I am not a big enough pizza business.  I tried a couple of times and although Grande said they would help me find a distributor they never did find me one.  The only options I had if I wanted to purchase Grande was to purchase it from a local pizza shop at 5.00 a lb. (they may even have upped the price now, because that was awhile ago), or the other option was maybe travel over an hour to purchase some.  Maybe there is pizza shop in your area that might sell you some of their mozzarella although it might be a different brand than Grande.  Most foodservice mozzarellas are good.  Mozzarellas, even for me have gone up in price in the past week.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 06:32:32 AM »
For what it's worth, I've had Grande and wasn't all that impressed by it, especially for the extra cost. I buy 5# blocks of Sorrento whole milk mozzarella from a local restaurant supplier for market price. That can fluctuate with the season and the cheese market, but I've never had to pay over about $2.40 a pound. Look up some local businesses that supply restaurants and see if they will sell to you and find out what they offer. I don't think you're going to find Grande for cheap, the $5 that Norma mentioned is a hell of a good price.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 06:35:15 AM »
BTW, I have a local Walmart which sells Dragone for $3.57 a pound, it's a very good mozzarella, check it out.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 08:01:53 AM »
$8lb for grande provolone?  What a ripoff.  I get it for $5 in my Chicago Italian delis.  I'd take Norma's advice and go to the pizzerias with the cheese you like the best and see if u can strike up a deal.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 09:52:40 AM »
FYI I checked GFS today.  Here are their prices by the case ordered online delivered to our door. I know it is cheaper if you order it from the store and pick up.  Walter

50/50 - 30 pounds - 5- 6lb  bags -  $96.90
whole milk loaf- $2.95/lb
part skim loaf - $3.00/lb
provolone loaf - $3.25/lb

Offline tdub154420

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 03:05:31 PM »

Maybe there is pizza shop in your area that might sell you some of their mozzarella although it might be a different brand than Grande.  Most foodservice mozzarellas are good.  Mozzarellas, even for me have gone up in price in the past week.

Norma

I would love to do that, but I'm afraid of my local pizzeria's getting very angry with me.  I asked one pizza place for a bunch of red sauce once and he wasn't to happy.  I had to come up with a story about how I was gonna use it for party dip. 

I would love to try foodservice mozzarellas, I just can't seem to find access to foodservices in Colorado.  When I look it up I just get page after page of Restaurant Equipment stores.  Are there any well known, nationwide food service companies I could use?

I buy 5# blocks of Sorrento whole milk mozzarella from a local restaurant supplier for market price. That can fluctuate with the season and the cheese market, but I've never had to pay over about $2.40 a pound. Look up some local businesses that supply restaurants and see if they will sell to you and find out what they offer.

I've wanted to try Sorrento for a while but could not find a supplier.  What supplier do you use? 

FYI I checked GFS today.  Here are their prices by the case ordered online delivered to our door. I know it is cheaper if you order it from the store and pick up.  Walter

50/50 - 30 pounds - 5- 6lb  bags -  $96.90
whole milk loaf- $2.95/lb
part skim loaf - $3.00/lb
provolone loaf - $3.25/lb

Those prices are incredible!! Unfortunately GFS is nowhere near CO  :'(

ALSO, Thank you everybody for your input!
- Trevor

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 03:51:22 PM »
I just did a mock order at Penn(the Pirate)Mac's website......20lb. East Coast blend...$4.20lb.
                                                                                                                       Shipping.$1.60lb
                                                                                                                          Total....$5.80 lb
I guess that's not too bad. But still...25% + extra for your shipping cost?  >:(

Around here I pay $4.98 lb. for PollyO and Sorrento 1lb chubs and that is crappy retail level cheese. Dang, Penn the Pirate is actually looking more Robin Hoodish the longer I think about this whole dealio... :-\

Bob  :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 03:59:33 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline tdub154420

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 04:37:40 PM »
I just did a mock order at Penn(the Pirate)Mac's website......20lb. East Coast blend...$4.20lb.
                                                                                                                       Shipping.$1.60lb
                                                                                                                          Total....$5.80 lb
I guess that's not too bad. But still...25% + extra for your shipping cost?  >:(

Around here I pay $4.98 lb. for PollyO and Sorrento 1lb chubs and that is crappy retail level cheese. Dang, Penn the Pirate is actually looking more Robin Hoodish the longer I think about this whole dealio... :-\

Bob  :)

So I checked Penn Mac as soon as I read your post and the shipping costs are outrageous for me.  I have attached below what the lowest shipping cost for me turned out to be. 

I threw a 5lb bag of 50/50 into my cart, which is $22 before shipping.  Well shipping then came to $17 and as you can see in the image, that was the cheapest method of shipping. 

:o

There's gotta be a better way! 
- Trevor

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 05:11:47 PM »
So I checked Penn Mac as soon as I read your post and the shipping costs are outrageous for me.  I have attached below what the lowest shipping cost for me turned out to be. 

I threw a 5lb bag of 50/50 into my cart, which is $22 before shipping.  Well shipping then came to $17 and as you can see in the image, that was the cheapest method of shipping. 

:o

There's gotta be a better way!
tdub154420,
It is the same for me too....but if you'll notice on the first page of check out they tell you "the shipping probably looks high and if you go back and order a couple more items the shipping will become more reasonable"

That's why my mock order had 4 items.

FWIW...that is what it says and it does work but only to an extent. You are not going to get below 20-25% tacked on for S&H no matter how much you buy. 

Bob

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 06:42:39 PM »
I would love to do that, but I'm afraid of my local pizzeria's getting very angry with me.  I asked one pizza place for a bunch of red sauce once and he wasn't to happy.  I had to come up with a story about how I was gonna use it for party dip. 

I would love to try foodservice mozzarellas, I just can't seem to find access to foodservices in Colorado.  When I look it up I just get page after page of Restaurant Equipment stores.  Are there any well known, nationwide food service companies I could use?

tdub154420,

You could just tell your local pizzeria that you really like their pizzas and say you especially like their cheese.  I would just say that I wanted to make some good lasagna and donít like any mozzarellas I could purchase at a supermarket.  That line worked for me before when I wanted some cheese to try. 

Foodservice mozzarellas are sometimes hard to purchase unless you have a business.  Some places do offer cash and carry though.  There is a restaurant depot in Denver, Colorado.  http://www.restaurantdepot.com/locations#northwesttherockies  Check and see if you need a membership or not. http://www.restaurantdepot.com/locations?Id=652  You could also search on the web for cash and carry restaurant foods in your area.  Some places do let you purchase by cash and carry. 

Costcoís might also be another place you can try. 

Norma

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 06:55:26 PM »
tdub154420,

You could just tell your local pizzeria that you really like their pizzas and say you especially like their cheese.  I would just say that I wanted to make some good lasagna and donít like any mozzarellas I could purchase at a supermarket. 
That's pretty "cheesy" Norma   :D  And exactly what I have successfully done before too!  :chef:

I guess brilliant cheesy minds think alike.  8)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 06:59:17 PM »
That's pretty "cheesy" Norma   :D  And exactly what I have successfully done before too!  :chef:

I guess brilliant cheesy minds think alike.  8)

Bob,

I agree that our minds think somewhat alike.  Were there is a will there is a way sometimes.   :-D

Norma

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 09:09:20 PM »
I think I am paying anywhere from $13-$14 per 5 lb bag of Grande East Coast Blend shreded
Too me its kinda cheap.
You just have too find a distributor in your area where you can pay cash......JT

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 08:00:28 AM »
This probably won't help very many, but a Grande distributor in NY state is    http://www.quandts.com/products/dairy/

Offline grathan

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 07:31:58 PM »
I just did an order at Penn as well. Except I put like 50# of cheese on this order( freezing 1 loaf to see how well it compares to non-frozen ) as well as 50# of flour and #10 or so of tomatoes. As they suggest, this brings the shipping way down. I got 3x the cheese and a 50# sack of flour for only double the shipping of my last order.

If it freezes well I will move up to !00# cheese order next time.

Offline tdub154420

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 01:03:32 AM »
Norma thank you very much for the suggestion, I'm looking into restaurantdepot as we speak. 

As for pennmac, I'll have to try out shopping cart combos to see if i can get the shipping down to a reasonable price. 

Thanks guys!
- Trevor

pizzapan