Author Topic: Need help experimenting with PH style; for a birthday party.  (Read 714 times)

Offline Miami_Pizzaman

Need help experimenting with PH style; for a birthday party.
« on: April 27, 2013, 08:41:31 AM »

Hello members. I'm back after being away for a while and I'm a bit rusty.

I have a birthday party for 40 people next week and we've decided that my homemade pizza will be the food offered.

Last time I made it, which was years ago, it was a big success. (pizza hut style).

How many grams of pizza will feed 40 people with margin left over?

How many grams of pizza would be made in a 9 inch round pan? 9 inch square pan?

...or in general, how many grams of pizza per square inch of surface area?

I'm planning to make some "test pizzas" today and this week to get the process right before next weekend.

What should I experiment with?  Hydration percent?  Salt to dough ratio?  Yeast to dough ratio?  Rise time temp and time?

Since I can't carry out all the combinations of what parameters to vary, I'm looking for guidance as to which to concentrate more on.

Thank you in advance.

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Need help experimenting with PH style; for a birthday party.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 09:48:53 AM »
How many deep dish pans do you own? How many pies will you bake at one time? How many ovens will you be baking with?
Will all 40 people show up at one time and expect to all eat at once shortly after that? Hmmm logistics...

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 10:52:57 AM »
Welcome back after 4 years.

Are you considering deep dish or thin? Despite the logistical difficulties JT noted, deep dish may be your best option because the logistics of thin, despite not needing pans, may be worse.

With deep dish, you can probably get 4 pies in the oven, so you can probably have 4 pies (or even 8 if you don't mind holding some hot for an hour) ready when your guests arrive. I think my experiments would be on a formula that holds well both unbaked and baked. Get a bunch of pans so not only could you have a lot of pizza ready when your guests arrive, you could have all the pizza you plan to bake assembled and ready for the oven.

When we do Detroit style here at the house (the only experience I have with pan pizza), Light eaters eat 25in^2; typical eaters eat about 55in^2. I'd say a minimum for planning purposes is 40in^2/person. Again, this is Detroit style. A heavy Chicago deep dish might require less per person.

For thin, 40 is a lot of people without commercial equipment. If you're baking in a home oven and can do 2 pies in 30 minutes (I bet it takes at least that long to make, bake, and slice), you're looking at needing an hour to get 1 slice to every person (and that is with two pies ready when they start to arrive). With people talking to you and what not, I think you'd be doing good to maintain a 1 slice/hour/person rate.

Give a little more specifics about exactly what sort of pie you want to make, the toppings, and your equipment, and we can probably give you better help.

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Miami_Pizzaman

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 11:08:08 AM »
Guys, thanks for the replies.

I'm thinking of Pan Pizza (that's not quite deep dish, right?). 

I have six 8 inch square pans, six 8 in round cake pans, and one 9 in square pan. They're dark colored except for the 9 incher which is grey.

In my local supermarket they sell disposable cake pans with covers. Aluminum. Seems very convenient to keep the pizzas hot because I'm putting the pizzas outside by the pool. Plus I wouldn't have to fear people cutting into the pan as they cut out a slice.

My concern with the disposable pans is that they may not make the crust cook well (or be crispy enough, etc). I'm willing to cook several "test" pizzas this week and compare the disposable versus "real" pan.

TXCraig, your comment about light and typical square inches that persons consume is very useful.  In those numbers, how many grams or ounces per square inch?  (I'm trying to get a sense of how "tall" to make the pizza)

« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 11:11:23 AM by Miami_Pizzaman »

Offline Miami_Pizzaman

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 11:16:32 AM »

As far as equipment, I have a standard oven which I hate, a toaster oven which is pretty good, and a pizza maker which I absolutely love.

The pizza maker I can take to the poolside and either cook, or keep warm, pizzas.

The oven inside has three racks, it's convection, but it has no bottom heating element and is overall junk. But it's all I have as far as regular oven.

The toaster oven can fit one 8 in square or round pan. It has too much power on the top element, though.

I plan to make a mix of pizzas, including cheese, pepperoni, Hawaiian, and maybe sausage.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 05:10:42 PM »

As far as equipment, I have a standard oven which I hate, a toaster oven which is pretty good, and a pizza maker which I absolutely love.

The pizza maker I can take to the poolside and either cook, or keep warm, pizzas.

The oven inside has three racks, it's convection, but it has no bottom heating element and is overall junk. But it's all I have as far as regular oven.

The toaster oven can fit one 8 in square or round pan. It has too much power on the top element, though.

I plan to make a mix of pizzas, including cheese, pepperoni, Hawaiian, and maybe sausage.
Sounds to me like you have narrowed down your oven choices to a " pizza maker which I absolutely love". You are going to need aprox. 15 Nine inch pizzas, a PH style pan pizza will take around 15-18 min. to bake...are you sure you want to do this? Can you borrow a couple outdoor gas grills?
It sounds like you have plenty of good pans...forget the disposable ones. Maybe get 8 pans at a time set up with the dough in them and let some folks assemble their own pies...that would be fun. Have 2 or 3 baking sessions on the gas grills. Sounds like you're having a pool party so timing should be sort of relaxed, no?
Pre party...try out a forum PH pan recipe or 2 and that will give you the data for dough, toppings amounts and bake times.
Have fun!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 05:14:46 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Miami_Pizzaman

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 08:47:15 PM »

I'm actually planning on using my oven for most of the work, but the pizza maker will function as an "auxiliary" resource.

I'm still trying to gauge how much food the typically person eats, in either grams or ounces or pounds.  ;D

I'm considering square pans if I think I need their extra size to reduce the number of oven cycles I need to cook it all quickly.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 10:03:52 PM »

I'm still trying to gauge how much food the typically person eats, in either grams or ounces or pounds.  ;D

Try weighing a 9in pan pizza and divide by 2
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Miami_Pizzaman

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 12:23:41 AM »
Based on serving sizes for pizza chains I'm figuring a typical amount per person is about 333grams, which is just over 10 ounces. That means I'll need 40 x 333 = 13,320 grams of pizza. Wow. Almost 30 pounds.

I wonder if I really "knead" that much !   :P

I wonder how much "dough" it will all be.

Ok ok I'll stop.