Author Topic: New Jersey pizza lovers Last Minute Gathering ??  (Read 3160 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
New Jersey pizza lovers Last Minute Gathering ??
« on: April 19, 2013, 11:35:58 PM »
Quick note here LAST minute
Flirting with Fire has a gig this saturday and there will be plenty of extras. made 45 dough balls for 25 people and  because the Za Man is coming to town! and bringing some of his dough as well ! Gonna be a Neapolitan extravaganza ! any one close enough to Mahwah NJ who might be interested in some pizza talk and sampling some Earthstone goodness or playing with a live woodfired oven.  is welcome  ;D from  CT. , South Jersey,  whatever if your a member here  and love pizza you are welcome  to stop in sunday afternoon.
shoot me a PM if intersted  I will guide you in !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
Re: New Jersey pizza lovers Last Minute Gathering ??
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 06:56:47 AM »
aaaaagh, i just made plans for sunday  >:(

there is a slight chance that there will be too much water in the river though (though i'm hoping not because racing it in two weeks and want a practice run) so maybe.....

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 09:49:33 AM »
Whitewater? me too ! Deerfield ?? Been there done that !  ;D LOVE it !!
Let me know if you can make it
John

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 10:07:43 AM »
Whitewater? me too ! Deerfield ?? Been there done that !  ;D LOVE it !!
Let me know if you can make it
John

just started learning last year,  this week Naugatuck River (I-II) , not quite ready for Deerfield

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 10:09:53 AM »
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 02:10:25 PM by deb415611 »

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 12:27:03 PM »
I wish I didnt have plans (Im sure you received my PM) already or I would have taken the ride up to see you guys. Looking forward to seeing some pics or video!  ;D
Chaz

Offline scott123

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 08:07:18 PM »
I wish I didnt have plans.

I canceled my plans.  I'm not missing this!  ;D

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 09:26:29 PM »
[quote Is uthor=scott123 link=topic=24674.msg249732#msg249732 date=1366502838]
I canceled my plans.  I'm not missing this!  ;D
[/quote]

Plans is one thing....a family event is different  ::) Trust me, it kills me that I can't make it. 
Chaz

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 06:37:51 PM »
(burp) WOW!  what a great time with the Za Man Larry, His Main man Aurturo and scott 123 I think we pounded  about 15 pies  :-D
1st off Larry was Kind enough to bring all the goodies along and show me how to  stretch fresh Mootz! Man was that stuff good  :drool:
We used it on the pizza withing 1/2 hour talk anbout fresh Not as hard as I thought and I am coonsidering doing this step for my parties its That good ! we used Grande curd .
The the Earthstone Oven  had a nice workout,  and was in the zone in no time. Everyone enjoyed cooking in it.
I had dough from Friday AM where I made extra from the gig. So full 2.75 day ferment witha total of about 10 hours fridge time thats it ! Larry also brought along 8 Beautiful Dough balls from Ohio ! After we got done heckling each other about whos dough felt, looked, smelled, stretched and cooked  better we got down to Business of all makin and bakin some killer pies. The picture show a slightly different finish from same oven if you look hard you can see the diff in the 2 doughs Litlle more leapording on Mine  :P sorry Larry one last dig !  :-D
 What a great afternoon for a bunch of pizzaholics ( and of course yes there was wine too ! ) By the end it looked like a pizza bomb went off  and it was worth every second of clean up !  I apoligize for the late notice but if the stars line up and  if it happens again DO NOT miss it real hoot not the Texas pizza summit but a close 2nd
Hope they all post as well
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 06:59:50 PM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 06:44:20 PM »
Oh I forgot the cheese !
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 06:46:00 PM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 06:52:54 PM »
Money shot of our man Scott 123 (with his approval) caught him in action Making some great pies also. I Think he was little over  90 seconds? later in afternoon so I am not sure what he made ?  ;D
But It was also  great  signature 1 slice pep in middle Yes he made this !
TomN yes He can do it Just fine, even with a 60% room temp  Neapolitan dough . great work scott! and  as always way too much fun !

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 06:59:14 PM »
Looks like a lot of fun, im sorry I missed it! Scott didnt bake up a NY Style pizza??? :o ;D
I spotted some marshmallows on the counter. Where's the Smores pie? Im just guessing thats what they were used for.
Chaz

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 07:02:22 PM »
Yes we finished up  with and expresso some Cookie butter pies with  a carmel swirl,  and of course  the Nuttella special pies . 
John

Offline scott123

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 01:08:05 PM »
Well, here we are two months later and I'm finally getting around to jotting some thoughts down about this amazing event.

There's many different facets to pizza obsession, but I think that one of the traits that I respect the most is the compulsion to travel to the ends of the earth to eat pizza.  I could probably get in my car, right now, and drive for the next year and still log no where near the mileage that John and Larry have logged.

There's an unmistakable connection between making astounding pizza and having an insatiable quest to try as many pizzas as possible.  While I think it's very possible to make great pizza in a vacuum, without the traveling/sampling aspect of this equation, I think the pavement beater is more likely to achieve the goal, simply because they've eaten enough pizza to know exactly what they want. I don't think it's any coincidence that the three people who I know that have traveled the most- John, Larry and Paulie,  are also some of the best pizza makers in this area.

So, when I get a chance to hang out with John and Larry, it's a big deal, because these are the people that have traveled further than anyone that I know- and I look up to that.

Historically speaking, the best pizzas were generally made by guys that kept it pretty simple and didn't overthink things. It's only in recent years that the geeks have begun to make their mark.  Bianco will tell you he isn't a geek (and, to an extent, rail against us), but his test kitchen proves otherwise ;D John, has, in the past, spoken about being less caught up with theory and more with doing, and I've always respected his classical approach and the pizzas he's been able to make with it, but, in recent months, I've noticed some pretty geeky behavior in John- and a corresponding stratospheric quality to his pizza.

So, John, I don't know if being called a nerd makes you happy or not, but, I'm telling you, you are one  ;D The drop in bake time, the blending of flours, the increased sophistication in toppings, the homemade cheese- you're applying a massive amount of gray matter to your pizza- and it's showing.

Here's where I feel that John is at.  Let's pretend that John open's a brick and mortar right next to Keste. Which door am I taking? John's.  I might swing over to Keste for a lardo pie after John's, but I'm going to John's first.  What he's putting out, right now, is in that echelon.

Besides having my world rocked with John's pizza, the company was equally as paradigm bending.  John's family was, as always, incredibly gracious and charming.  Larry (and John and Arti) turned my somewhat negative impression of the expo on it's ear with all the great info they were able to take from the event. I'm not big on glitz and glam, and I don't think authentic NY style gets a fair shake in Vegas, but... I will concede that whenever you can get a group of pizza obsessives in one room, there's a vast opportunity for sharing knowledge- and that's a good thing.

I sincerely hope that, at some point, Arti joins this forum.  If you think I have strong opinions- you gotta meet Arti.  Next to Arti, I'm demure ;D

So, in summation, this was quite bit more than having a great time, with good company and good pizza- this was the usual life altering event that I experience whenever I sit down with obsessives and geeks- of which John is one  :P
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 03:09:38 PM by scott123 »

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 02:58:56 PM »
Well said Scott! It's funny you mention being a pizza geek because a coworker called me just that! I took it as a compliment  ;D John's passion is infectious and pizzas are great. If/when I get my oven, I hope to put out product up to par with FWF.
Chaz

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 03:11:40 PM »
if you guys do it again this summer or fall, I know a few upstate pizza nerds who'd love to join in. I might even bring some special mozzarella with me! :D

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 12:47:49 AM »
Not sure how I missed that But THANK YOU ! for the kind words Scott123!! get your wheels on  ;) as mentioned I travel a lot and allways  grab a test slice even if I do 3 bites. i  gotta know whats out there  at least for me. funny I just stopped  3 time last Friday at 3 different places 1 was great 1 blah and 1 I just about chocked on  :P man bagged cheese same day maybe 4 hr dough? and a can o sauce I betcha thats not pizza and sure not passion
Yes we will do this again for sure later this fall when the wheels slow down
John

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 12:22:21 PM »
Your backyard is beautiful. Don't get that kind of land in Orlando Florida.  :(
The pies look awesome too.

Offline scott123

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 12:30:31 PM »
funny I just stopped  3 time last Friday at 3 different places 1 was great 1 blah and 1 I just about chocked on  :P

See what I'm saying?  Here's a guy that's pumping out pizzas every weekend, but, on a Friday, he's hitting 3 different places to try them.

I can tell you, Roberto isn't doing that.  Mangieri sure as heck isn't doing that.

So, John, what was the great place?  ;D

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 12:40:24 PM »
John, your pies and cheese looks great.  What curd are you using?  Polly O?