Author Topic: Late night deep dish fix  (Read 686 times)

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Late night deep dish fix
« on: April 20, 2013, 12:01:52 AM »
It's been a long time since I've made a deep dish pie.  I prepared a couple of doughballs (pizza in teglia - roman style) once home from work, and relaxed a bit afterwards. Browsing through the forum, specifically the Chicago Style section, and I felt the need to make a deep dish pie. Funny how that happens.  7 years ago, I used one of DKM's recipes which calls for corn meal.  I decided to use the same recipe which is available on this site's recipe link.  A couple minor changes - for oil, I used 1/2 cold cubed butter and 1/2 corn oil, and used a bit more IDY since I wanted to make the pie before daylight :D.  I probably used 4 grams to make my single doughball.

For toppings I laid out a layer of whole milk mozzarella, followed by smoked portuguese sausage, uncooked "Tuscany" pork sausage (which is commonly used here for BBQ's), and salami. Diced onion, roasted red bell peppers & crimini mushrooms.  For the sauce I used Annalisa italian tomatoes, hand crushed, and seasoned with salt, sugar, fresh oregano and basil, and a little balsamic vinegar. 

I baked the pie in an unseasoned cake pan (it was either that or in a rectangular pan  :o) directly on top of a preheated soapstone on the bottom rack at 525 degrees for 25 minutes. 

It was fun making the pie, and it made for some good late night munching. 2 slices did the trick.

Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Re: Late night deep dish fix
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 06:05:02 AM »
And two more pics:
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Marvin

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 05:19:16 PM »
Very nice.
I tried popcorn butter oil one time in pan
Made it nice and golden but it was super salty.

I like !  Marvin

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 04:40:12 PM »
Sounds like a successful effort!

If you liked that, you should try oe of the newer formulations here.  That DKM dough is dark ages material compared to what is known on the forum now.  (e.g., cornmeal should never be used; lower hydration is called for; very short kneading is key; etc.)

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 05:34:42 PM »
Very nice.
I tried popcorn butter oil one time in pan
Made it nice and golden but it was super salty.

I like !  Marvin

Marvin,

I actually used unsalted butter to grease the pan.  In retrospect, I probably would have gotten better browning using oil, but then again, the unseasoned aluminum pad didn't help much :-D. Sometimes when oiling a pan for pizza - I do like to sprinkle salt on the bottom. Thanks!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 05:42:03 PM »
Sounds like a successful effort!

If you liked that, you should try oe of the newer formulations here.  That DKM dough is dark ages material compared to what is known on the forum now.  (e.g., cornmeal should never be used; lower hydration is called for; very short kneading is key; etc.)

Cheers,
Garvey

Garvey,

Thanks for chiming in.  I wanted to try that same formula since it's the same one I used several years ago - but of course I'd be willing to try a different formulation, for example, BTB's which callls for semolina. Feel free to suggest another formula as well.  Despite rarely making/eating DD pies , I do enjoy them. They have a unique sense of occasion about them, and make for some hearty, straight forward, good eating.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 09:41:38 PM »
Johnny:

You can't go wrong with BTB's semolina formulation.  That one is tried and true.  VCB has an outstanding formulation[pdf] too, which is very detailed in the instructions for mixing, assembly, baking, et al.

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 09:48:30 PM »
Garvey,

Excellent - thanks for the confirmation as well as the suggestion!

Cheers
Il miglior fabbro

pizzapan