Author Topic: Camp Chef Artisan Pizza Oven 90  (Read 104 times)

Offline OnDaRox

• I Love Pizza!
Camp Chef Artisan Pizza Oven 90
« on: December 22, 2014, 01:47:29 PM »
We have a motorhome and I wanted a camp stove that I could use outdoors when camping and tailgating.  That quest led me to the Camp Chef Expedition-3, a 3-burner propane camp stove.  The model I purchased came with a 24x16 griddle which fits over two of the burners and has many accessories available, including a pizza oven!  The pizza oven I have is the Camp Chef Artisan 90, made specifically for their 3-burner model stove.  It fits over two of the burners and measures in at 16x24 (15x20 cooking surface) and comes with a ceramic stone.  The oven is stainless steel with an arched top which doesn't appear to be insulated.  It has a built-in thermometer at the top which states it can reach 700 degrees.  An infrared cooking thermometer (gun) is needed to tell the temp of the stone itself.  I would guess it weighs about 30 pounds and I would recommend a carry bag (sold by Camp Chef) if you plan to transport it.  I kept the box and packing material to store it in when I need to.  I intend to ask Camp Chef the best way to store it while in the RV so as not to crack the stone while moving.

I'm no stranger in the kitchen however pizzas are a new adventure for me, but here's my review.

My first experience with this oven was great, I was very happy with it!  It comes fully assembled except the stone, that is packed separately and must be installed which consists of removing four small screws, sliding the stone into place and replacing those screws.  This is an open face oven, there is no door on this model.  The pizza oven fits perfectly on the grill over two of the burners and heated up nicely.  Being new at this and more anxious to just cook a pizza to try this out, I brought the temp up to 500 F.  I lowered it to around 400 F and it held steady.  I had the setup outdoors on our patio and it was about 30 F outside.  I never had to adjust the heat again and the temp remained constant per the roof thermometer.

I used a cold ferment dough recipe found on-line, it was in the fridge for about 48-hours, nothing too crazy but easy to make.  I otherwise used all purchased ingredients (I know, I know!  :'( ) and made one cheese, one cheese, pepperoni and sausage and one pepperoni which my daughter made into a smiley face.  I was able to get two pizzas in the oven at one time.  I let them cook for about 10 minutes each, turning them occasionally to ensure an even bake.  They came out great!  Nice and even, nothing burned, the crust was a good consistency when completed.  For my first attempt I was happy with both the Camp Chef oven and also the dough and the kids loved them!  They were excited to help make them and liked the taste.

The Camp Chef Artisan Pizza Oven 90 was a great purchase for my family.  We will definitely enjoy the versatility and ease of use at home, tailgating and camping.  Having never used another pizza oven before I unfortunately cannot compare it to anything else.  I will need to try at least a side by side comparison with my home oven, Pizzaz or toaster oven, but even if the results are similar I can assure you it won't be as much fun.   8) 

Pros (for me):
  • Cost -runs around $120 (MSRP $170) but does require their 3-burner stove ($250+\MSRP $400).  Note - I purchased everything on-line and on sale with free shipping as there is no local dealer.  My total investment in the stove and pizza oven is around $300.  This is comparable to Camp Chef's standalone pizza oven, but much more versatile for what I wanted.
  • Quality construction
  • Easy to use and clean
  • Looks good!

Cons:
  • Requires their 3-burner stove (fits their 16" cooking system)
  • I do wish they had a larger model available that would cover all 3 burners to give more cooking space as my family of 7 requires more than 2 small pizzas at a time.
  • I also wish it had the door to help regulate the heat evenly, but it doesn't seem to be an issue yet.

From initial use I would recommend this product.  I'll update this review as I gain more experience with the oven and pizza making in general.

Tom

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Camp Chef Artisan Pizza Oven 90
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 01:53:26 PM »
This is great Tom...I'm glad you and your family are having fun with it!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan