Author Topic: My new Weber charcoal (briquette) pizza oven  (Read 20704 times)

Offline Morgan

Re: My new Weber charcoal (briquette) pizza oven
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2013, 03:21:53 AM »
No matter what you use for heating i think franken Weber is still way better than this, but thats only my imo which is based on the photos i have seen.

Offline Jaunty

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 08:08:07 PM »
Have registered to say many thanks to Henrik the OP for this thread and his photos of the unit, which are the most detailed and informative I have found any where on the web so far. I am considering this but wonder if it will bring much extra to just using my stone on my Weber S450 - whack up the temp and throw on the rotisserie burner to brown the top works well.

So some extra info for you I found. Weber based their accessory on this item  http://chadwickoven.com/order-today
Quite an interesting little gizmo and if it was half the price (sells for 360?!) I may have been interested.
There is a press article here which confirms it
http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/Daniel-Chadwick-sets-world-alight-new-pizza-oven/story-18586967-detail/story.html#axzz2RN3D10Ts
and a Weber launch day here which credits Chadwick as the inventor http://www.weberbbq.co.uk/weber-news/charcoal-pizza-oven-exclusive-launch/

I think it was due to launch earlier but the handle to open was originally plastic and was melting - the new handle is all metal it seems (looks better as well). Look forward to seeing if Henrik dials it in better!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 08:10:48 PM by Jaunty »

Offline leftfield

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 02:17:03 PM »
Hi,

I have one of these new Weber Original Pizza ovens and have used it a few times.  I can say that it does work better then Henrik has experienced but have found that there are a couple of points to ensure it does get and stay hot enough.
1) If any wind blows into the exit slot at the front then it lowers the temperature quite quickly.  I assume it stops the airflow, a bit like blocking the top damper and thus reduces the supply of air to the coals  - if there is a light wind then point the exit downwind.  If there is a strong wind then I reckon it would need to be sheltered.  The instructions do not mention this.
2) Recommended charcoal load - I could only fit 90 of the Weber charcoal briquettes into the starter, so I added another 10 or so after emptying them out onto the lower grill.  I used them to plug gaps between briquettes - the thinking here was to ensure that any air rising through them needs to be heated by passing over them rather than passing straight through.
3) We have managed 3 minutes to cook a neopolitan  - putting a few woodchips down the back seemed to speed up cooking by a minute or so.

Henrik has done a much better job or recording his experiences but I will try to make up for that over the next few weeks! I have access to a thermocouple logger at work so will borrow it to record temperatures without the errors that IR thermometers can introduce.

It has been great fun to use so far and can cook quite a lot of Pizzas well (we have done 8 in one sitting) and consistently rather than just one or two which is what we found with just a stone

Nic

Offline synaesthesia

• Good food tastes better with a good hot sauce!
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 12:37:50 PM »
I have a question about this one. Since it is based on the Chadwick oven, can you cook with it on a Gas stove indoors?
The only reason I 'd get one is for pizza craving on a rainy day and I cannot get to my WF Kettlepizza outdoors as easily. Also I make many other flatbreads so I considered getting the Chadwick just for that but this Weber clocks in at less than 1/2 the chadwick's price ....like the chrome in the chadwick though.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 08:52:26 PM by synaesthesia »

Offline Jaunty

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 05:55:24 PM »
I have a question about this one. Since it is based on the Chadwick oven, can you cook with it on a Gas stove indoors?
The only reason I 'd get one is for pizza craving on a rainy day and I can get to my Kettlepizza as easily. Also I make many other flatbreads so I considered getting the Chadwick just for that but this Weber clocks in at less than 1/2 the chadwick's price ....like the chrome in the chadwick though.

I had exactly the same thought, but unfortunately I do not think it will work. The Weber creates a seal over the charcoal to funnel the heat  over the top of the pizza. It will be way to big to gather heat effectively unsealed above a gas ring (in my opinion!).

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 08:43:59 PM »
No matter what you use for heating i think franken Weber is still way better than this, but thats only my imo which is based on the photos i have seen.
Of course it is man.
This new Weber grill is just a tease for the generally stupid hype soaked American public buffoons.
Franken Weber is sooo un bling like....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2013, 08:59:46 AM »
Just to add my $0.02 to this thread, I have been getting excellent results from the Weber Charcoal Pizza Oven. Some pics below....a slice of Crispy Duck with Hoisin Sauce, a Black Pudding and Smoked Pork Belly pizza, and finally one with a spicy Sicilian sausage and green chills.

These were all done yesterday (along with others) using a 3 day fermented sourdough base (Caputo "00" flour). I use restaurant grade lumpwood charcoal on the Weber exclusively and I am not sure how hot it gets as I only have a contact thermometer that goes up to 650F - and it pegs the needle on that! I need to buy an infra red thermometer to see what the real temperature is.

Pizzas cook in about 3 minutes on it using lumpwood, and a full load gives me about 60-90 minutes or so of heat.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 09:02:41 AM by adm »

Offline Dave42

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2013, 04:36:58 PM »
Hi!
I am very interested in this grill and have been running down information on it.  Thank you for posting the great photos. 

(1) I sent and email to Weber asking when the WEBER 6520 Pizza Oven was going to be released in the US.  Weber CS replied:  "Unfortunately the charcoal pizza oven is manufactured for the UK. Currently there aren't any plans for the pizza oven to be sold in the United States. I will definitely pass on the suggestion. I'm sorry for the inconvenience." 
I interpret this to mean:  The Weber folks in the UK took the initiative to innovate and bring a much needed product to market; and testing sales interest in the US market did not occur to anyone! :)

(2)  Weber provided information posted by UK BBQ stores states:
Designed to fit on top of 57cm charcoal barbecues  [22.5 inch]
Porcelain-enameled hood, cordierite stone cooking surface and steel ring and heat shield
450C even cooking temperature  [840 deg F]
Cooks base and topping evenly
Uses less fuel and takes up less space than a traditional wood fired oven
Perfect for fresh pizzas, naan breads and pittas
Cooks pizza in less than 4 minutes

* I am pleased to see Weber stating such a high temp.  Like many forum readers, I have been reading and experimenting with various oven and grill methods to cook pizza. 

(3) Here is a UK BBQ site that has a User video and a sterile Weber video showing the grill setup and cooking a pizza. 
http://www.riversidegardencentre.co.uk/bbq/weber-original-charcoal-pizza-oven.html

(4) I explored shipping costs from the UK to the USA:
I used a weight of 9 LBs and a box volume of (24 in x 24 in x 10 in) which determines 'volumetric weight charges'  to obtain a quick estimate of the shipping costs from the UK to outside LA.   
I researched FedEx, Royal Mail (which due to size, leads you to ParcelForce. These ran very expensive ($200+).   
Transglobal was the best -  providing an 'affordable' estimate from UPS express saver at $80.  (Not clear if VAT is included in this price.)  [FYI - The US Post Office charges $70 to ship this volume/weight from the US to the UK!) 

http://www.transglobal.org.uk/send-parcel-uk-to-usa/?gclid=CJz-gdCBt7cCFQE6QgodnhoAEg

(5) My "Get It Now" cost estimate:  Weber 6520 in UK for ($181 + $33 vat) + (80 shipping + 15 vat) equals apx $310 to have it now.   (using conversion of 1.51 USD per british pound and assuming VAT cannot be avoided.) 

(6) My estimated USA price will be close to the Pre-VAT UK price of  $181 (plus any applicable State sales tax).  This is based on comparing what the Pre-VAT UK price on a Weber 22.5 inch one-touch grill to the USA Home Depot price. The prices were within a few dollars of each other.

(7) I think the $180 to $300 price range to get 840+ degrees and excellent pizza is a great solution for me. 
I was about to begin configuring my Weber to place my pizza stone higher with Firebricks and possibly suspend a stone in the dome interior to obtain a lower dome effect.  Under review were several DIY w.f.o. project but finding the time & energy for DIY was going to be difficult. In addition, the DIY costs were going to be 2-3x this weber 6520 item. 

Dave

Offline Dave42

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2013, 04:39:07 PM »

I would love to see a few pictures of the underside of your cooked pizzas !   

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2013, 04:50:20 PM »

(1) I sent and email to Weber asking when the WEBER 6520 Pizza Oven was going to be released in the US.  Weber CS replied:  "Unfortunately the charcoal pizza oven is manufactured for the UK. Currently there aren't any plans for the pizza oven to be sold in the United States. I will definitely pass on the suggestion. I'm sorry for the inconvenience." 
I interpret this to mean:  The Weber folks in the UK took the initiative to innovate and bring a much needed product to market; and testing sales interest in the US market did not occur to anyone! :)

(2)  Weber provided information posted by UK BBQ stores states:
Designed to fit on top of 57cm charcoal barbecues  [22.5 inch]
Porcelain-enameled hood, cordierite stone cooking surface and steel ring and heat shield
450C even cooking temperature  [840 deg F]
Cooks base and topping evenly
Uses less fuel and takes up less space than a traditional wood fired oven
Perfect for fresh pizzas, naan breads and pittas
Cooks pizza in less than 4 minutes

* I am pleased to see Weber stating such a high temp.  Like many forum readers, I have been reading and experimenting with various oven and grill methods to cook pizza. 

(3) Here is a UK BBQ site that has a User video and a sterile Weber video showing the grill setup and cooking a pizza. 
http://www.riversidegardencentre.co.uk/bbq/weber-original-charcoal-pizza-oven.html

(4) I explored shipping costs from the UK to the USA:
I used a weight of 9 LBs and a box volume of (24 in x 24 in x 10 in) which determines 'volumetric weight charges'  to obtain a quick estimate of the shipping costs from the UK to outside LA.   
I researched FedEx, Royal Mail (which due to size, leads you to ParcelForce. These ran very expensive ($200+).   
Transglobal was the best -  providing an 'affordable' estimate from UPS express saver at $80.  (Not clear if VAT is included in this price.)  [FYI - The US Post Office charges $70 to ship this volume/weight from the US to the UK!) 

http://www.transglobal.org.uk/send-parcel-uk-to-usa/?gclid=CJz-gdCBt7cCFQE6QgodnhoAEg

(5) My "Get It Now" cost estimate:  Weber 6520 in UK for ($181 + $33 vat) + (80 shipping + 15 vat) equals apx $310 to have it now.   (using conversion of 1.51 USD per british pound and assuming VAT cannot be avoided.) 

(6) My estimated USA price will be close to the Pre-VAT UK price of  $181 (plus any applicable State sales tax).  This is based on comparing what the Pre-VAT UK price on a Weber 22.5 inch one-touch grill to the USA Home Depot price. The prices were within a few dollars of each other.

(7) I think the $180 to $300 price range to get 840+ degrees and excellent pizza is a great solution for me. 
I was about to begin configuring my Weber to place my pizza stone higher with Firebricks and possibly suspend a stone in the dome interior to obtain a lower dome effect.  Under review were several DIY w.f.o. project but finding the time & energy for DIY was going to be difficult. In addition, the DIY costs were going to be 2-3x this weber 6520 item. 

Dave
Or perhaps they found that US market would be very limited?  ???

I would purchase an MPO before that flimsy Weber thing and believe me it will look like hell not long after a few 800+ bakes.

Check it out! http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,24848.0.html

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2013, 04:55:39 PM »
I would love to see a few pictures of the underside of your cooked pizzas !   

Here's a couple of early ones before I figured out how to use it.....to be honest, I didn't realise that the "money shot" of pizza making was the bottom of the crust, so I haven't taken many. I can say that now I have figured out how to use the Weber gizmo, it gives as good "leoparding" as many shots I have seen here. I will do some more next weekend and take base shots....

I can say that the bottom of this weekend's ones were far better - lovely black blistery spots. Not sure though if that is down to a better dough (sourdough) or just figuring out how best to use the oven properly.....

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2013, 05:02:07 PM »

I would purchase an MPO before that flimsy Weber thing and believe me it will look like hell not long after a few 800+ bakes.

Dude, don't be a hater......

I bought this a few weeks ago as a stop gap while getting around to building a WFO and I have been extremely impressed. I have two Weber kettle grills and a Weber bullet smoker - all have had hard use for more than 10 years and are almost as good as new.

The pizza oven accessory looks to me to be the same high quality as the grills and smoker and I can easily see it lasting 10+ years if not longer. It's a solid piece of kit - and cost me 120 - or $180. For me, a worthwhile investment.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2013, 08:21:47 PM »
Dude, don't be a hater......

I bought this a few weeks ago as a stop gap while getting around to building a WFO and I have been extremely impressed. I have two Weber kettle grills and a Weber bullet smoker - all have had hard use for more than 10 years and are almost as good as new.

The pizza oven accessory looks to me to be the same high quality as the grills and smoker and I can easily see it lasting 10+ years if not longer. It's a solid piece of kit - and cost me 120 - or $180. For me, a worthwhile investment.
Alasdair,
My post was in response to Dave42 who reports that it may cost him upwards of $300+ for one of these Webers.

The MPO is much cheaper and is a proven winner at the extreme heat levels.
The Weber products have been proven to fail(at times)in these temps.
This is from information contained right here within this forum.

Not a hater, just giving Dave a heads up.  ;)

Bob

Offline leftfield

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2013, 07:22:11 AM »

Why all the negative comments without any substance?  I wonder if anything Weber would incite such responses regardless of whether it worked or not?  The MPO is for gas and the Weber is for Charcoal - apples and oranges.

The detailed report from adm shows some absolutely amazing looking pizzas which confirms the product does work - period, but the comments now have shifted to trying to unpick some unsubstantiated quality issues..... I don't understand how this helps

Online MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2013, 07:57:47 AM »
Thanks Bob,

Leftfield, Bob is basing his opinion based on the tests I have done with MPO and shared on this forum in the past year.

For now, I agree, It is hard to compare between MPO and Weber pizza oven, currently I recommend using MPO with certain gas burners only.

The beauty of MPO design it require very little  btu to reach 650 deg F, even higher with a custom base. 

I will be working on a charcoal base for MPO after my kickstarter project. Till then, I can't say much about MPO with charcoal.

Bert,

Offline synaesthesia

• Good food tastes better with a good hot sauce!
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2013, 10:08:08 AM »
Dave

Search for discount shipping.  I have used Shipnex, interparcel.co.uk, discountshipping.us, parcelmonkey.co.uk etc..... they buy bulk time and service from UPS, DHL FEDEX and re-sell them cheaper.... eventually the item gets picked up by say UPS or DHL....it would work out way cheaper than if you got UPS to quote you.

You can usually work out a rate on their sites. If you are exporting out out of UK you don't pay VAT but you pay VAT for the shipping service. Hope this helps.

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2013, 10:09:54 AM »
Sorry guys - I didn't mean to start an MPO versus Weber war!

I was just trying to give my experience of using the Weber.....and as I have no knowledge of the MPO (and no gas grill), that's the only experience I have.

More pizzas next weekend as long as the weather behaves itself. I also have acquired an Electrolux DLX mixer, so we'll see if the dough comes out any better...(not that it wasn't good this week, but there's always room for improvement!)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2013, 11:11:19 AM »
Why all the negative comments without any substance? 
My one negative statement about this little Weber holding up under these temps; as I already indicated to Alasdair, comes from substance already reported in this forum.

The MPO is for gas and the Weber is for Charcoal - apples and oranges.

The OP;Henrik, said..."are in a quest to find a better pizza oven for out door use until I build a WFO."
Sorry if you don't like my recommending a proven winning alternative; but that's what friends,er, I mean threads are for.  :)   The cost of a small gas grill to power the MPO will be quickly recouped in charcoal savings and frustrations that Weber is going to give. If one is "sold" on Weber than I would highly recommend sticking a gas Bayou burner down in that thing(that might even save you from having to soon repaint the Weber).

The detailed report from adm shows some absolutely amazing looking pizzas which confirms the product does work - period,
With all due respect to adm (and I certainly do appreciate his reporting on this new gadget) I am not seeing "absolutely amazing". And this helped encouraged me to warn Dave42; price not withstanding.
Here's a comparison for you...
Bob

Offline leftfield

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2013, 01:39:23 PM »

With all due respect to adm (and I certainly do appreciate his reporting on this new gadget) I am not seeing "absolutely amazing".
Bob

I guess this is where the subtleties of Europe v. USA come into play - I know which Pizza I would choose and I am sure it is not the one that you would.... but that is fine.

Nothing wrong with the enamel so far on mine but it may come from a different supplier - at least it does not discolour (brown) like stainless......:-)

Leftie

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2013, 02:05:58 PM »
I guess this is where the subtleties of Europe v. USA come into play - I know which Pizza I would choose and I am sure it is not the one that you would.... but that is fine.

Nothing wrong with the enamel so far on mine but it may come from a different supplier - at least it does not discolour (brown) like stainless......:-)

Leftie
I thought this thread was about baking "performance" and not about "tastes". But if you enjoy an extremely unevenly cooked pizza that is fine.
But to be fair to adm; he said he is going to try out his new Electrolux DLX mixer and see if the dough turns out any better. I hope he is turning that pie when it is in that 'lil Weber.