Author Topic: My new Weber charcoal (briquette) pizza oven  (Read 12530 times)

Offline adm

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: My new Weber charcoal (briquette) pizza oven
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2013, 02:32:22 PM »
I thought this thread was about baking "performance" and not about "tastes". But if you enjoy an extremely unevenly cooked pizza that is fine.
But to be fair to adm; he said he is going to try out his new Electrolux DLX mixer and see if the dough turns out any better. I hope he is turning that pie when it is in that 'lil Weber.

:) In my defence, I will say that I am very new to this whole pizza making thing....so my dough handling and cooking technique isn't anywhere near where I want it yet. The pies in the post are all kind of misshapen as the dough was extremely extensible and got away from me bit, and should have been turned more than they were for sure. However - they tasted great and were pretty much what I was after - a puffed and blistered crust, nice thin base, crispy yet chewy.

Caputo flour, San Marzano tomatoes, DOP Buffalo Mozzarella etc....lovely! I am learning how to use the 'lil Weber and I think things can only get better...

Here's a pic of a slice of an earlier one from a couple of weeks ago - this was anchovy and black pudding on a "regular" base (and, IIRC wild boar salami in the background)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2013, 03:31:07 PM »
adm,
I'm sure you'll get it all sorted out...I wish you well.
Sure do like seeing the different topping selections you are working with there!  :chef:

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2013, 07:23:50 PM »
adm, thanks for your posts. I think this is a very interesting device and like to hear how you go about fine tuning it. Good luck, and I hope other owners will post their results. It may be possible that Weber US may offer this at some time.
Marty

Offline adm

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2013, 06:21:32 AM »
Just a short update from yesterday. I had another crack with the Weber although the results were not good. This wasn't the Weber's fault - more my dough process and handling.

I tried a Neapolitanish dough formula (100% Caputo 00, 65% water, 2.5% salt, 0.3% instant yeast) and used the Varasano "wet kneading" method, then fermented overnight in the fridge. The dough balls had risen way too much overnight and the dough was overproofed. Not really sure how that happened..... Also, my new DLX mixer didn't get delivered and I used the Kenwood that we have in a kind of dispirited way!

Anyway. Bottom line was the dough was crap, was a pig to shape without tearing and didn't rise much. We still ate 6 pies though. Tasty, but overly crispy.

On the positive side, I tested the heat of the stone of the Weber with an IR thermometer and it was 814F.

Crap pizza pic below.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2013, 09:29:33 AM »
Can you post your flour weight?  your pies looks too thin... Have tried other dough recipes? you may want to try this one http://www.mightypizzaoven.com/easy-pizzadough/
Bert,

Offline adm

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2013, 10:45:54 AM »
Can you post your flour weight?  your pies looks too thin... Have tried other dough recipes? you may want to try this one http://www.mightypizzaoven.com/easy-pizzadough/

That was:

Caputo 00: 1Kg
Water: 650g
Yeast: 4g
Salt: 25g

To make 8 dough balls of 200g each.

I agree with you though, they were too thin yesterday and the dough wasn't very extensible. I think it was probably under kneaded and the gluten hadn't developed very well.

I do prefer a thin pie, but I want a beautifully puffed cornice as well.... I'll give your recipe a try.

Still......the good thing about this hobby is the the results are almost always tasty, even if less than perfect!

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2013, 11:55:29 AM »
I found 270 g dough ball works best for  me.

Try to use ADY instead of IDY.

It is very enjoyable hobby, in my case, I am hopping to be an enjoyable business.

Bert,

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2013, 12:29:02 PM »

Try to use ADY instead of IDY.

Why the ADY instead of IDY Bert?

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2013, 01:37:45 PM »
S

Slower fermentation.
Bert,

Offline adm

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2013, 03:21:23 PM »
Interesting....

Not really sure what different yeast types I can get here, but it all seems to be "Instant".

Having said that, I love baking bread with my sourdough cultures and that is the only real way I want to go with my pizzas. I only used the instant yeast as a stop gap measure and maybe I should wait rather than do that in the future....

The sourdough seems to be better suited to long slow rises than the instant yeast.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2013, 03:25:13 PM »
I used sourdough few times only, I find working with ADY easier.
Bert,

Offline adm

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2013, 03:36:06 PM »
Ahh.. I agree with you on the easiness.

But taste is everything and for me there is a definite taste benefit to the sourdough culture - even if it is harder to work with.

I think it's worth persevering with. sooner or later I will hit on a "perfect" method that I will use for the rest of my life. In the meantime, experimentation is fun.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2013, 03:50:21 PM »
...... In the meantime, experimentation is fun.

Totally agree ... I have enjoyed every pizza I ever made.
Bert,

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2013, 09:26:24 PM »

Not Bert, but Tony Gemignani also uses ADY instead of IDY. Don't remember why, but FWIW, it is true. He also uses starter.

Mark

"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline adm

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2013, 05:00:06 PM »
Here's tonight's pies from the lil' Weber....

As a bit of background, I went with TXCraig's sourdough formulation with a few changes: 1) different sourdough culture, 2) no stretch and fold as I had a new mixer I wanted to play with. 24 hours bulk @ 65C, followed by 28 hours in balls also at 65(ish).

100% Caputo 00
62% water
3% salt
1.3% culture

The dough was good. Lovely crust with a great taste and a gorgeous cross between crispy, chewy and fluffy which is exactly what I want. I will be working with this one again. I think it might even be my "go to" dough from here on. Thanks Craig.

So. Fired up the lil Weber with lumpwood and left if for 40 minutes to get up to temp.

Some pie pictures below. My shaping skills still need much improvement  -  as do my rotation in the oven skills to keep things even. But things are getting better. I think the reason most of the pies look squarish is that my dough containers are square and the dough seems to have a memory of that shape and adjusts itself back to that shape once I leave it on the peel....

First pie off was a lovely fennel salami (all of them were SanMarzano sauce and fresh organic Buffalo Mozz BTW)
Second was gorgeous fresh parma ham and gorgonzola dolce (in addition to the mozz)
Third up is what seems to be becoming my signature (or at least what the kids want the most), crispy duck, hoi sin sauce, scallions...
Plus an upskirt....
Then some more - various beautiful artisan salamis and cheeses.
And finally a "use it up" pie with schiacchiatta (fantastic) and partial pineapple for my middle kid. It was awesome with pineapple BTW....

Anyway. I think I am beginning to get the Weber dialled in. More practice on dough, temperature and pie management for sure.

After 2 hours, the stone was still measuring about 750F - so a good long cook on a single load of lumpwood charcoal. Maybe 2Kgs used, so about 2.00 here.

Couple bottles of nice Burgundy as well.....life is good.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2013, 08:38:27 PM »
Seems like they've done all the work of modding the oven... now all you have to do is find a used grill the same size, cut a hole in the bottom and mount your propane burner.  Drop the nifty gadget on it and away you go.

I think it could use some work on the underside of the dome - not enough air turbulence. Needs some vanes to push the air down.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 08:40:46 PM by pizzaneer »
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2013, 09:33:03 PM »
Seems like they've done all the work of modding the oven... now all you have to do is find a used grill the same size, cut a hole in the bottom and mount your propane burner. Drop the nifty gadget on it and away you go.

I think it could use some work on the underside of the dome - not enough air turbulence. Needs some vanes to push the air down.
Why not throw the burner in the one he already has?

adm, did you time any of the bakes on this last go 'round?  Pie's are looking much better... :chef:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 09:39:08 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline adm

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2013, 06:18:38 AM »
I didn't really time these - but they were all in the three to four minute or so range. That seems acceptable to me - gives me time to get a bite of the pizza I just cooked before I need to go back and turn the one thats currently on the grill.

I am happy using charcoal (have always preferred wood/charcoal to gas) with this although I do have a big ass propane burner that I use for boiling big vats of beer, and it could almost certainly be made to fit pretty easily....but...nah. Don't want to butcher the grill at this point.

Good point on baffles for the lid though. I might have a think about how to try that...

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2013, 07:49:02 AM »
Just my 2c.  But that Chadwick oven is junk.  I can't believe he is getting rich off of this nonsense.  And wrapping chrome around an inefficient oven won't make it bake any better.  Chadwick oven, give me break.  :-D  Give me an MPO anyday!

I'm glad you guys are happy with your weber charcoal pizza oven.  You'd get better results making an LBE IMO.  You can have controlled and constant heat for as long as you have propane pumping through it.  That means you aren't limited to one batch of charcoal briquettes.

On a typical LBE and a 5 gallon propane tank you will typically get 15+ baking sessions, baking 3-4 pies back to back with a 20minute heat up (each time) to get 650F+.  Sure you can reach 800F+ on the LBE but I'm not sure it's a balanced bake at those temps.  YMMV.  So on one tank, baking pies continuously back to back...well that equals A LOT of pies.

Sure the weber charcoal oven works, but how well does it work? How even is the heat distribution top and bottom and how efficient is it....compared to the LBE?  How many pies can you bake with one load of coals?  How easy is it to refill the coals?  Do you have to take the oven apart and handle the hots stone to do this?

I am not being negative about this oven, but let's be realistic here. 

Chau

Offline adm

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2013, 08:25:23 AM »

I'm glad you guys are happy with your weber charcoal pizza oven.  You'd get better results making an LBE IMO.  You can have controlled and constant heat for as long as you have propane pumping through it.  That means you aren't limited to one batch of charcoal briquettes.

On a typical LBE and a 5 gallon propane tank you will typically get 15+ baking sessions, baking 3-4 pies back to back with a 20minute heat up (each time) to get 650F+.  Sure you can reach 800F+ on the LBE but I'm not sure it's a balanced bake at those temps.  YMMV.  So on one tank, baking pies continuously back to back...well that equals A LOT of pies.

Sure the weber charcoal oven works, but how well does it work? How even is the heat distribution top and bottom and how efficient is it....compared to the LBE?  How many pies can you bake with one load of coals?  How easy is it to refill the coals?  Do you have to take the oven apart and handle the hots stone to do this?

Well...what I can tell you is that I have baked 8 pies on a single load of lumpwood charcoal and could have done more. I don't know how many more though - probably not many.  I have no idea about how even the heat distribution is. But it seems to work.

To refill the charcoal, you just lift the entire top piece of the oven off and dump in more charcoal. I haven't needed to do this yet as I have only ever needed to feed 6 people with this. However, it would take around a minute or so to lift the oven off, fill the grill with more coal and then put the lid back on. It would be hot, so you need a good thick pair of gloves - but then if you are cooking with charcoal you probably have these already.

I am sure propane is much more controllable and probably more efficient too. Still, the Weber oven works for me and makes pizza that my family love. It's fairly low cost, is freely available in Europe and requires no modifications to anything. Now - for some people who love tinkering (like me), that may be a bad thing but for the vast majority of the backyard grillers in Europe, it will work to cook decent pizza!

Learning how to make decent pizza itself is a whole different matter though!