Author Topic: stretching techniques  (Read 1178 times)

Offline Mundus33

• I Love Pizza!
stretching techniques
« on: April 20, 2013, 07:03:14 PM »
whenever I try and make a pizza I always get thin and thick spots on the crust I use the steering wheel method (hold on ends and turn) does anyone have a better technique that gets a more even dough for crust other than tossing (very short ceiling in apartment) and if so any tutorial videos you could point me to.

Offline grathan

Re: stretching techniques
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 07:08:01 PM »
I have a similar problem, mostly caused by trying to go too big with the amount of dough I have. I use 20oz dough and my pan is 16" circle. If I stop at 14" i have no problems.

Keep a bright light behind the dough as you turn and avoid stretching the light spots. I tend to just work out the edges, I save some of the work for in the pan/on the peel.

Also a rolling pin is probably a good way for a very consistent thickness. I haven't tried this yet. I would let it rise a bit after smushing it.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 08:10:16 PM »
It depends on the style of crust you are making but for the kind I make, this video shows a true master at work:

Skip to 4:25 if you're short on time.

Rolling pin should be a last resort, again depending on the style of dough. It is one thing to stretch out the dough, but deflating the dough by popping the minute gas bubbles defeats much of the purpose of proofing.

Offline moose13

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 12:28:40 AM »
For me, the middle takes care of itself, so i really try to stay away from the middle or it will be too thin.
The first is a good tutorial.
The second is just fun to watch.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 02:55:30 AM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline Mundus33

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 05:09:47 PM »
thanks for all your help guys I ended up taking both methods putting them together and modifying them a bit. ;D

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 08:56:39 PM »
something to think about.....   how your dough is mixed, and even what mixer you use has a large impact on getting thick/thin spots.    Also, how you form your dough balls can effect this as well, especially at hydrations lower than the low 60's.      If your having trouble, it might be something other than your forming technique.   

pizzapan