Author Topic: Removing seeds from crushed tomatoes  (Read 271 times)

Offline leto

• I Love Pizza!
Removing seeds from crushed tomatoes
« on: June 02, 2016, 06:02:16 AM »
This is the best brand of imported tomatoes that I could find in my area. Anyone tried this Mutti? IMO They are good crushed tomatoes. But the problem is that, some seeds are there though and I don't like it. Anyone know how to remove seeds from canned crushed tomatoes, please help me. I tried using a strainer but after that there's still only some juices left, I can't keep the 'meat part of the tomatoes' (my English not good so I don't know which words to describe it :P) Here is some picture straight out from the cans
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 06:04:53 AM by leto »

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
Re: Removing seeds from crushed tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 07:16:05 AM »
Run it through a tomato mill. 

Offline kdefay

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 07:23:23 AM »
Speaking of food mills, does anyone have a recommendation for one?  I want to buy one that is well made. 
The USA, Myanmar, and Liberia are the three remaining countries in the world who do not use the metric system.  That's some fine company to keep!!

Buy a scale, think in grams, and welcome to the 21st century!!

Offline kdefay

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 08:06:53 AM »
Thanks Jackie!  I do about 10-20lbs each time and I want something that can efficiently handle that quantity and not break after a few weeks of use. 
The USA, Myanmar, and Liberia are the three remaining countries in the world who do not use the metric system.  That's some fine company to keep!!

Buy a scale, think in grams, and welcome to the 21st century!!

Offline leto

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 08:24:25 AM »
Run it through a tomato mill.

Thank you. Will I have the result as the tomato pulp and juice, or maybe end up with just tomato juice? Have you tried with some grounded tomatoes

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 08:49:29 AM »
I typically process a big can of 6n1's ground tomatoes using the disk with the medium sized holes. It will remove all the peels and seeds and leave a thick sauce. 

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 08:54:37 AM »
A food mill removes the seeds and skin bits because they won't fit through the holes. Tomato flesh goes through because it is soft enough to be crushed and torn by the mill into pieces small enough to fit through the holes. If you use a plate with larger holes in the food mill, the tomato pieces will be bigger however the seeds will go through as well. I don't know if its possible to remove the seeds without also significantly reducing the texture. The sauce will likely be smooth like juice but it will be much thicker in viscosity.

I guess you could use a tweezer  ;D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

wordpress