Author Topic: Newbie sauce question  (Read 580 times)

Offline PizzaBoy719

• I Love Pizza!
Newbie sauce question
« on: March 25, 2015, 12:14:20 PM »
Hey guys i am looking to make my pies friday. Iv been practicing but cant find a sauce recipe that compliments my pizza.
Can anybody help me with suggestions.

I just bought a 28oz can of peeled san marazano tomatoes last night.
Should i crush them by hand or put in blender.
Also when i put in blender sometimes i do notice sauce is a bit watery. Should i also cook sauce for a few hrs prior to putting on my pizza? And does anybody have suggestions about ingredints should put in. I keep overkilling mine.

One last question. Is D.O.P can of tomatoes much different in taste compared to regular san marzano peeled tomatoes? Thanks guys

Offline pizapizza

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Newbie sauce question
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 05:40:35 PM »
did you drain the liquid before putting them in the blender? real san marzanos are d.o.p. only thing i add is some sugar and salt

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 09:34:19 AM »
What sort of pizza are you making? There is no sauce that is best for every style.

I prefer to pass them through a food mill. You can crush by hand or blend. If you blend, just a few quick pulses. It would be better to under-blend than over.

For Neapolitan, never add anything except a bit of salt - and maybe a TINY bit of sugar if they are a little bitter, but that would be unusual. I always use whole peeled tomatoes that have a basil leaf in the can. My favorite is the Cento Italian Tomatoes that come in the 35oz can.

For NY and other styles, i might also add a bit of oregano, and maybe some EVOO, but that's it. Pizza is about balance. If your sauce is a flavor bomb, you've already lost. Don't forget that you can always add some herbs and/or spices on top of the sauce when preparing the pizza. If you make several different pies with different toppings, you will likely find that different herbs/spices go better with different pies. If you put them in the sauce, you get them on every pie whether they go well there or not.

With respect to San Marzano tomatoes, San Marzano is a variety of tomato. A D.O.P. San Marzano is one that was grown in a particular region of Italy and that meets certain specifications. D.O.P. is not a quality guarantee. In many cases, you can find better tomatoes for far less money.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 12:37:21 PM »
If you are using San Marzano's you are probably after a light sauce.  I have no experience with Neapolitan styles.

For NY and other light styles I add 1 tsp Sicilian Oregano and 1 crushed clove of garlic to a #10 can of 7/11 tomato puree.  I have found that "kids" like sweet sauce.  If I am cooking for preteens to teens I add up to 3 TBS of sugar to the above.  For my family I add 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp crushed red pepper for some heat to the above recipe.  I have found that adding a little EVOO before/after the bake and FRESH basil on top after the bake adds a real treat and sets your pies apart if lightly topped.

For american style pizza I use Red Novembers #2 Sauce that uses micro wave assisted extraction.  It is detailed here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3735.msg32136#msg32136  This is another sauce the kids love with heavily topped pizzas.  It is a strong sauce, and will overwhelm a lightly topped, balanced pie.

Offline invertedisdead

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 03:47:57 PM »
If you have a food processor or a mini prep I recommend that over the blender, unless its maybe a stick blender. I have one of those super blenders though (blendtec) and even a few pulses can aerate it. The mini chopper works well for small batches of pizza sauce in my camp. If I had a food mill I would use that.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 04:00:07 PM by invertedisdead »
Ryan

pizzapan