Author Topic: Pictou County Brown Sauce  (Read 2268 times)

Online ogdred

Pictou County Brown Sauce
« on: April 20, 2013, 09:56:03 PM »
Has anyone heard of this pizza sauce, apparently unique to Pictou County, Nova Scotia? People from the region obsess about it, and even have pizzas sent by UPS across Canada.

A friend procured a sample of it, so I had to give it a try. It looks a little bit like it has ground beef in it, but I could mainly taste the oil and onions, perhaps celery as well. Not bad, but nothing to write home about from my point of view. They have a distinct type of pepperoni out east, which I was unable to find, but I did try cooking one of my pizzas with the pepperoni under the cheese, which is how they do it out there.

(The dough pictured is a 350g 62% hydration unbleached bread flour with 2% oil, 2% salt and 3% sugar, stretched to 13", and cooked about 6 minutes on a 530 stone.)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pictou County Brown Sauce
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 10:32:16 PM »
About 10 years ago I received from an acquaintance a bottle of what I was told was the best sauce on the planet, real  brown sauce from Pictou County from one of the pizzerias there that is famous for it. Frankly, I was not impressed.

Through the years I have met people from that area who rave about their unique brown sauce. One insisted that the best version is a closely held secret and that the bottle I had received must have been an inferior facsimile if I didn't think it was awesome.

If someone happens to find a recipe for the real deal, I'd love to give it a try. These people are insane about about their pizzas.

Offline clancy

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 04:54:01 PM »
Nova Scotian here, and this pizza is rather popular out here, but only in one region of the province, if you want some you have to travel there to get it from one of a dozen or so places that make it in this style. It's meatier and spicier, and I quite like it. In fact I purchased a litre of the sauce (as well as a slice) on my way through the area last week and am making some pizza as I type this. :)
remember, it's a regional thing, people like what they grow up with and they are proud it comes from their area, so don't be dumbfounded when you don't agree with those that love it. Ask someone in Chicago what the best pizza in the world is, are they wrong?
A thicker, denser crust and some real brothers pepperoni would go a long way in getting closer to the real deal, though.

Offline brad123

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 09:58:58 PM »
It has chicken broth , celery, no tomato sauce, alittle tomato paste, black pepper, red pepper flakes, onions flour and virgin oil, mushrooms , and a few other things I can't figure out yet,. Lol

pizzapan