Author Topic: Pizzarium style pizzas made with AP flour supplemented with VWG  (Read 5228 times)

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
I decided to create a new thread rather than adding to my original post (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,24554.0.html). Reason being, the pizza being made is essentially a pizzarium style pie, and not sicilian, due to the mixing protocol and technique involved.

I aimed for 12.7% protein (KABF protein level) to make my next pizzarium style pie.  In order to do this, I supplemented AP flour (9.8%) with VWG. 

Here's the formula I used this time around, very different from the formula used in the original post:

Flour (100%):    522.91 g  |  18.44 oz | 1.15 lbs
        AP flour: 497.72
        VWG: 25.19
Water (85%):    444.47 g  |  15.68 oz | 0.98 lbs
IDY (.4%):    2.09 g | 0.07 oz | 0 lbs | 0.69 tsp | 0.23 tbsp
Salt (1.8%):    9.41 g | 0.33 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.69 tsp | 0.56 tbsp
Olive Oil (1%):    5.23 g | 0.18 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.16 tsp | 0.39 tbsp
Total (188.2%):   984.12 g | 34.71 oz | 2.17 lbs | TF = 0.138
Single Ball:   492.06 g | 17.36 oz | 1.08 lbs
Single Ball:   492.06 g | 17.36 oz | 1.08 lbs

VWG FAIL - I initially whisked in the VWG to the water.  So far so good - water turned brown.  A bit more whisking, then it started to coagulate on me.  Not good. I ended up with tainted, frothy water, filled with several, curd like masses of gummy VWG.

Having learned that lesson, I whisked VWG into the flour for a couple of minutes, then slowly mixed the flour into the water. Now without any incidents :D. After mixing the flour into the water, I added the salt, and hand kneaded for a couple minutes. Then I added the yeast, kneaded a minute more, and added the oil.  Stretch and folded every 10 minutes for the next 1/2 hour, then balled up and put into the fridge for 24 hours.  1 1/2 hour out of the fridge, the oven's preheated and it's time to bake.  I used Cavalier Giuseppe Cocco semola rimacinata di grano duro as bench flour.  The dough was massaged out to shape Bonci style, then lifted with the back of both hands and released onto the lightly oiled pan.  Topped with hand crushed Annalisa italian peeled tomatoes, fleur de sel, EVOO, crushed garlic, fresh oregano and basil.

Many thanks to Peter for the suggestions on how to use the VWG. Also, the Mixed Mass Conversion Calculator (http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/) helped out immensely, and was easy to use. I ended up following your advice by entering the protein level in the middle of the VWG protein spectrum (65 -78%), and used 70% to play it safe  ;)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 09:25:30 AM by Johnny the Gent »
Il miglior fabbro

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Pizzarium style pizzas made with AP flour supplemented with VWG
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 09:37:02 AM »
What brand of AP flour did you use? 9.8% sounds pretty low.

Crumb looks really nice.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 09:41:43 AM »
Craig,

It's Brazilian AP flour. Most are around 10%. Thanks!

http://www.vilma.com.br/produtos/farinhas-de-trigo-vilma/

Il miglior fabbro

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 09:45:45 AM »
Insane crumb! You are so prolific with your pizza making. Where do you put it all?

I like your thought process on the VWG and it shows how great the result can be.

John

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 10:21:48 AM »
Johnny the Gent,

That is a fantastic looking Pizzarium style pizza.  The crumb photos look delicious!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 05:58:06 PM »
John - I always seem to have help around when it comes time to eat pizza.  I like having leftovers in the fridge, too :D  I'll be using the VWG more, and for different applications.  Amazing how much of a difference 3% of protein can make.  Thanks!

Norma - thanks for the compliment!  It made for a good breakfast this morning. ;)
Il miglior fabbro

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 10:26:39 PM »
Here is one of tonight's pies, following the formula in the OP above: Pizza di patate con wurstel . This dough had 48 hours to rise.

Here's how I do it:

A light sprinkling of whole milk mozzarella on the dough with olive oil, bits of homemade beef sausage, and some oil - parbake on bottom rack.

Boil some peeled potatoes in salted water seasoned with saffron and a bay leaf. Once pie is parbaked and bottom is cooked, add hand torn/smashed pieces of the potato. More EVOO, a sprinkling of salt, then add the thinly sliced frankfurters, some good quality ones. Let pie finish under the broiler until it's where you want it. I used a local brand "Cerrati" that makes a great salsichão, which is a frankfurter that's thicker in circumference.  Once the pie was out of the oven, I sprinkled some smoked spicy paprika and added some grated parmesan. Seems like this style of pie, topped with potato, is always a favorite with guests - despite being a new topping combo  ;)

« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 10:28:42 PM by Johnny the Gent »
Il miglior fabbro

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 08:59:22 PM »
Here are a few more pics made with the same dough formulation as the frankfurter & potato pie above.

Pie 1: Roasted eggplant, crushed cherry tomatoes, red onion, whole milk mozzarella, dime sized pieces of homemade beef sausage. My wife and I thought the flavors worked very well on this pie.

Pie 2:  Salami, crushed cherry tomatoes, whole milk mozzarella
Il miglior fabbro

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 08:23:36 PM »
Yesterday's pie:  73% hydration, 36 hr cold rise, AP flour 9.8% protein (skipped the VWG this time around).

Parbaked with only sauce - then added whole milk mozz, yellow and red peppers, red onion and ham.

Pics below of one big slice (mine, naturally  ;D) and an undercarriage shot.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 08:27:51 PM by Johnny the Gent »
Il miglior fabbro

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 09:09:30 AM »
Very nice results!
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline dhorst

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 03:25:59 PM »
I love those micro blisters!  Looks like you had a very tasty pie!  All you need is a sprinkle of Aleppo. :-D

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 05:45:35 PM »
outstanding looking pies, and I never even think of using anything but ap flour for pan style pizzas, that keeps them soft and light.

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 08:43:00 AM »
Thanks for the comments!

dhorst- if it's spicy, I want some!
dmcavanagh - agreed, I love that soft and light texture

Below is a pic of a pizzarium style dough made with only AP flour (no VWG). I had just finished cranking out some NY pies, so I took advantage of the preheated steel plate and decided to slide a 75% hydration pizzarium dough on it, topped with nothing but thin sliced of peeled tomatoes. The oven spring was furious, which resulted in some burnt bubbles  due to their height (remember - this dough has nearly 2% oil and I had the top broiler element running on max).  After the parbake - I added some anchovy, capers and olive oil. Green onion post bake. I'll be trying this again, but with some changes.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline dhorst

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 09:23:08 AM »
Message me with your address and I'll be happy to send you some Aleppo!  It truly is wonderful.  Wonderful hole structure there.  I'm not generally hungry at this hour, but you have my stomach growling!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 09:24:57 AM by dhorst »

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 09:35:25 AM »
wow, beautiful, those look great

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 10:13:02 AM »
Message me with your address and I'll be happy to send you some Aleppo!  It truly is wonderful.  Wonderful hole structure there.  I'm not generally hungry at this hour, but you have my stomach growling!

That's awfully kind of you.  Tell you what, next time I'm back to the US to visit family, I'll send you an address. I'm game for trying just about anything on a pizza  ;)
Il miglior fabbro

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2013, 10:13:47 AM »
wow, beautiful, those look great

Thank you!
Il miglior fabbro

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 09:02:59 AM »
This was from a couple of weeks ago - no toppings, no oil - nada. I brought this to a friends, where we reheated it for a few minutes, then cut into 1" slices, served with seasoned EVOO, cheeses and salami. It reheated nicely. So there you have it - one can easily make a ciabatta-ish style bread with this versatile dough.

Il miglior fabbro

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2013, 01:29:19 PM »
A marinara kind of Sunday morning 8). Pics snapped in the backyard, under the tree's swaying shadows.

70% hydration - no VWG added. Flour mixed into water, left to sit for 4 hours - then added the remaining 20% of flour, along with salt (1.8%), CY (.5%) and lastly oil (3%).

Half of the marinara pie topped with onion.
Il miglior fabbro

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 10:29:55 AM »
Just wanted to share a few more photos of my last Pizzarium style attempt.

1st pic: dough spread out in an oiled pan, topped with EVOO ready for the parbake. Dough comprised of 85% AP flour (10% protein) and 15% sifted whole wheat flour (sifted to keep the large bran particles out).  I added very little VWG to this flour mix, along the lines of 2%.

Remaining photos:  crumb shots. Topped with cream cheese, smoked trout, fresh dill and a tough of passata.

I was very happy with the whole wheat and AP flour blend, and will definitely try it again.
Il miglior fabbro

pizzapan