Author Topic: Thanks to Pizza Making Forum for my Detroit Style Squares  (Read 586 times)

Offline PaulMiller

• I Love Pizza!
Thanks to Pizza Making Forum for my Detroit Style Squares
« on: April 21, 2014, 09:59:28 AM »
I've been trying for a long time to make good Detroit. style squares. Eight years ago I move to northern Michigan and nobody up here makes Detroit style pizza! Only Jets and they are 50 miles away. Down in metro Detroit on almost every corner somebody makes one, with of course the Kings of the hill Louis in Hazel Park, Buddy's and Shields. I read a post and saw diastatic malt powder in one of the dough recipes, and wow, that made a huge difference. It made the crust light and chewy and I already have the caramelized crust working. I also changed my sauce to tomatoes, basil, oregano, salt, sugar and red wine vinegar.  Thank you forum.

I'm posting pics, forgive me I ran out of pepperoni! Used some leftover kielbasa from Easter! Just so excited the last two I made turned out great.
 :)

Offline derricktung

Re: Thanks to Pizza Making Forum for my Detroit Style Squares
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 11:46:28 AM »
That's a gorgeous looking Detroit pie!  Willing to share which recipe you used?

And what kind of pans are you using?

Offline PaulMiller

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 04:17:17 PM »
I also love Chicago deep dish, earlier this year searching I found Pizza Uno had posted on their site at Super Bowl time "their" recipe. I changed it for the square. 1 cup water, packet of active yeast, 2 1/2 cups unbleached bread flour (King Arthur), teaspoon salt, teaspoon of sugar and splash of olive oil. Oh and as I said earlier used a teaspoon of diastatic malt powder. I let it rise for around two hours and then used only 15 oz of the dough. I have to figure out how to adjust the quantity. I bought a pre-seasoned Detroit style pan from Detroit Style Pizza company.
I baked it at 470 for about 20 to 25 minutes. I may drop the sugar next time since I have read the malt is supposed to replace it. I make my own bread too and the malt powder has made a HUGE difference in flavor and texture.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 04:24:13 PM »
Tasty looking pie! Keep 'em coming!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 10:33:59 PM »
Beautiful. I love how dark you got the cheese on the edges. I wish I could do that.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline PaulMiller

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 04:51:23 AM »
To get the crust caramelized you just pile cheese up all around the edges.