Author Topic: Blackstone in Thailand  (Read 589 times)

Offline elephant man

Blackstone in Thailand
« on: March 25, 2014, 04:36:57 PM »
Today I used my Blackstone in Thailand for the first time. The oven made it here as part of my luggage on the airplane. If you break it down to two boxes and pack the stones in bubble wrap you can check it in as luggage and pay the extra charge. I used a dough recipe that is hand kneaded. It takes about 15 minutes and then its balled and into the wine cooler. I've been making pizza here in Thailand for the family for about 8 years.  I have used DlX mixers, Boch, Kitchen Aid, Hobart clone, and a new Chinease model that is so quiet it would put Kitchen Aid out of business if sold in the US. I have used a pizza oven that gets up to 1,000 degrees made in China for the past 6 years with no problems. It cost $800.00 and is a commercial unit with a top and bottom element. I have a Gferrarri pizza oven and a 2Stone. Let me tell you, the Blackstone is the best. Why is it better than a 2Stone, because I cook my pizza on a screen or parchment paper until it sets up. I can stick a large srceen in the Blackstone and I cannot do that in the 2Stone.Also, I don't think I will ever mix a pizza dough in a mixer again. When I watch the you tube videos of these cooks streaching the dough like its so thin and doesn't break and you can almost see though it, well I could never get my dough to do that. Now I can. I can take a 300g dough ball and put it on a 16" or 18" screen and cook that pizza just like the Blackstone video. The results are the same as Patsy's in the Bronx (well almost). I have one more Blackstone in my office in New Jersey and that will make it's way to Thailand on my next trip. If you saw how I let my dough ferment you would throw me outta the room. After the hand kneading it is balled and slightly olive oil coated and dumped into one of those plastic grocery store bags. Fold it over gently and into a tray in the wine cooler. It can stay for a day or 2 as I don't use much yeast or starter. Maybe 2 grams yeast for 600 grams of flour or 14 grams of starter. I prove the ADY or IDY yeast add 2% salt to the room temp water and dump the water into the sifted bread flour or "00" bread flour mix. About 63 or 64 % hydration . Use a chopstick to incorperate 60% of the flour and let it autolease for about 20 minutes. Dump it on the counter and use your hands to nead it into a lovely silky smooth dough after about 10 to 15 minutes. When you want to make pizza it's a good idea to take the dough out of the wine cooler and let it warm up on the counter. It's allways 80 to 90 degrees in my kitchen even with air con. About 30 minutes before baking I just dump the dough ball into bench flour and open it up to put on the screen. It opens so nice you want to marry it. If I don't want to use the Propane oven I will just put the dough into a perforated Lloyd Pan, dress the pie. put a screen on top and cook a few at a time in the oven from China at about 600 degrees. They really come out nice. I spend a lot of time on this sit and want to Thank all of you that makes this possible,

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Re: Blackstone in Thailand
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 09:08:58 PM »
Today I used my Blackstone in Thailand for the first time. The oven made it here as part of my luggage on the airplane. If you break it down to two boxes and pack the stones in bubble wrap you can check it in as luggage and pay the extra charge. I used a dough recipe that is hand kneaded. It takes about 15 minutes and then its balled and into the wine cooler. I've been making pizza here in Thailand for the family for about 8 years.  I have used DlX mixers, Boch, Kitchen Aid, Hobart clone, and a new Chinease model that is so quiet it would put Kitchen Aid out of business if sold in the US. I have used a pizza oven that gets up to 1,000 degrees made in China for the past 6 years with no problems. It cost $800.00 and is a commercial unit with a top and bottom element. I have a Gferrarri pizza oven and a 2Stone. Let me tell you, the Blackstone is the best. Why is it better than a 2Stone, because I cook my pizza on a screen or parchment paper until it sets up. I can stick a large srceen in the Blackstone and I cannot do that in the 2Stone.Also, I don't think I will ever mix a pizza dough in a mixer again. When I watch the you tube videos of these cooks streaching the dough like its so thin and doesn't break and you can almost see though it, well I could never get my dough to do that. Now I can. I can take a 300g dough ball and put it on a 16" or 18" screen and cook that pizza just like the Blackstone video. The results are the same as Patsy's in the Bronx (well almost). I have one more Blackstone in my office in New Jersey and that will make it's way to Thailand on my next trip. If you saw how I let my dough ferment you would throw me outta the room. After the hand kneading it is balled and slightly olive oil coated and dumped into one of those plastic grocery store bags. Fold it over gently and into a tray in the wine cooler. It can stay for a day or 2 as I don't use much yeast or starter. Maybe 2 grams yeast for 600 grams of flour or 14 grams of starter. I prove the ADY or IDY yeast add 2% salt to the room temp water and dump the water into the sifted bread flour or "00" bread flour mix. About 63 or 64 % hydration . Use a chopstick to incorperate 60% of the flour and let it autolease for about 20 minutes. Dump it on the counter and use your hands to nead it into a lovely silky smooth dough after about 10 to 15 minutes. When you want to make pizza it's a good idea to take the dough out of the wine cooler and let it warm up on the counter. It's allways 80 to 90 degrees in my kitchen even with air con. About 30 minutes before baking I just dump the dough ball into bench flour and open it up to put on the screen. It opens so nice you want to marry it. If I don't want to use the Propane oven I will just put the dough into a perforated Lloyd Pan, dress the pie. put a screen on top and cook a few at a time in the oven from China at about 600 degrees. They really come out nice. I spend a lot of time on this sit and want to Thank all of you that makes this possible,
E.Man, thanks for an interesting post.  Love your rather-substantial pizza making experience and the ingenuity getting an oven into Thailand.  Please post some pie pictures when you get a chance.

As an aside, I stopped by the Blackstone booth today at the 2014 Pizza Expo in Las Vegas.  While I was there someone from the VPN Association launched a Caputo 00 pie on the Blackstone just to see what would happen.  I ran over and cranked up the regulator and the oven valve (since nobody manning the booth was a neo-type).  The launch stone temp was about 680F (and there is no fixing that), but the rest of the pie finished off very nicely.  Some eyebrows were raised; who knows maybe they sold an oven.

If I see the BS guys again, I'll let them know of your success.

Dave

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 02:10:31 AM »
Great to hear of another far-flung BlackStone elephant man!   An interesting journey there, I'll also be looking forward to seeing a Blackstone in exotic surroundings, and of course some pizza!

Dave, I hope you also grabbed a spatula, bent it and jammed it in there for a little more cornicione action!

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 12:34:54 PM »
Great to hear of another far-flung BlackStone elephant man!   An interesting journey there, I'll also be looking forward to seeing a Blackstone in exotic surroundings, and of course some pizza!

Dave, I hope you also grabbed a spatula, bent it and jammed it in there for a little more cornicione action!
Too funny Dylan!  Nope, on the spatch, I stood down - value my arm hair.  You should have been there.  I just saw this guy out of the corner of my eye throw a 00 pie and instantly reacted with "flame on".  I was so busy working the pie toward the edge, I missed what might have been a  :o
Dave

Offline kdefay

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 07:06:43 AM »
Where in Thailand are you?  I'm in Lampang.

Offline elephant man

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 10:49:02 AM »
I stay in Khon Kaen while I'm in Thailand

pizzapan