Author Topic: Chewy dough  (Read 971 times)

Offline ajcerimele

Chewy dough
« on: April 21, 2013, 11:43:17 AM »
Hello,

I am new to this forum, so thank you for letting me post.  I am reopening a family pizza business in PA  from scratch, recipes and everything.  right now my biggest concern is that for some reason, once we starting practicing with the new equipment, I am yielding a very chewy dough, instead of light, airy, and crispy  which it normally is.  I will say that we make a rectangular pizza in a pan.  We mix the dough, ball it, sheet it, then to the pans for proofing.  I do use reddi sponge at 3% with a high gluten flour mixed for 10 minutes, can reddi sponge be the reason the dough is chewy?  Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Tony

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
Re: Chewy dough
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 02:44:50 PM »
High gluten flour and a 10 minute mix are the reason it's chewy. I prefer All Purpose flour for pan style pizza, but that's just my personal view. I think the 10 minute mix time with the high gluten flour may be too long, it's overdeveloping the dough.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline ajcerimele

Re: Chewy dough
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 07:29:05 PM »
Thanks for your advice.  I was thinking that myself, as well as reducing the reddi sponge to 1% flour weight.  what flour would you recommend and what length of time for mixing?

tony

pizzapan