Author Topic: Lack of Oven Spring  (Read 654 times)

Offline Triglet

Lack of Oven Spring
« on: April 21, 2013, 01:02:04 PM »
Hello all,
I've been baking up a storm the last few months trying to dial in the various recipes.  I've tried some of the standard Lehmann's in the sticky, canadadave's recipe, and even spent some time on Petezza's PJ clone (which arguably has turned out the best for me thus far). 

Yesterday, I tried Petezza's baker % version of JerryMac's recipe and everything went rather well -- followed the instructions exactly and it all came together much like the recipe described.  However, when baking I only got around 50% of the oven spring compared to the author's pictures.  It's not just this recipe either, I seem to only be able to achieve roughly half the oven spring everyone else gets regardless of recipe.

For reference, I have a 1/2" steel plate that I preheat for around an hour and a half at 550 F in my gas oven.  Steel surface temps exceed 550 F for the most part.  The bottoms always are approaching burning way before the top is done on my pizza's -- I usually cook the bottom to where I want it and then move to the top under the broiler to finish.  Also, I exclusively use KASL as I was able to source a 50lb bag from a local vendor. 

I feel pretty lost at the moment as it seems I'm going the wrong direction.  I also suspect the steel is hurting me in trying some of these other recipes other than the standard Lehman variety's as the bottoms's just burn too easily (I'm assuming from the sugar contents).  Perhaps I should look into a normal stone/kiln shelf?

Appreciate any advice -- just trying to get back on track here.  Thanks!

Trig

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Lack of Oven Spring
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 01:36:02 PM »
Trig, I also have had trouble with bottoms burning before tops are done. I do not use a steel however. I have read in these forums that steels work great assuming you can get adequate top heat to finish the top BEFORE the bottom burns. How long are your normal bake times and at what time are the bottoms done to your liking?
If it would work for you, I would suggest baking till the bottom is just about done and then blast the top with the broiler. You may even lift your pizza off the steel and let the top finish without additional heat to the bottom. You could also try a screen inserted just before the bottom is done.
I am sure some of the steel bakers will chime in with more direct help.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline mttfrog13

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 11:44:22 PM »
I would do the broiler first to get the oven spring on your cornicione first and then finish with a bake if you need to. If you bake first, then by the time you turn the broiler on, the cornicione will have taken it's shape and solidified and the broiler heat will do no good as far as oven spring.

I would put the steel plate on the top or second to top shelf and broil it for about 2 minutes to kick the temp of the plate up a notch, and throw the pizza on the steel. This way, your pizza is blasted with the heat on top from the broiler, making sure your top gets done. The broiler, along with intensely heated plate at the same time giving you your oven spring. This is what I did on my 3/8" plate and it worked pretty well.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 11:43:13 AM by mttfrog13 »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 12:12:54 AM »
Flour, salt, yeast, water.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy