Author Topic: Turning Thin Crust Dough Into Deep Dish On the Fly  (Read 391 times)

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
Turning Thin Crust Dough Into Deep Dish On the Fly
« on: May 26, 2015, 02:00:55 PM »
So I had a bunch of no-knead, cold fermented Pizza Factory dough ready to go, and someone asked if we could throw a DD into the mix.  Not having any DD dough on hand, I took 450g of the thin crust dough out of the fridge and grabbed a stick of butter.  I figured that the dough was probably about 300g of flour, so 30g of butter would be a 10% boost of fats, to be added to the existing 8% oil.  So I cut up 30g of butter--or just over 2 Tbs--into slivers and little chunks and kneaded it into the cold dough a little bit, just to blend it.  Then I let the dough warm up and rise in a bowl.  Pressed it into an oiled pan and dressed as usual.

No pix, unfortunately, but the pizza turned out great! Nice flaky layers, good bite.  It was real deep dish, short texture and all.

Would I make this again?  Certainly!  Would it make it this way, intentionally, from scratch instead of one of the other DD formulations on here?  I dunno.  Maybe.  I see no reason not to.  What it does is provide a lazy man's way to double his repertoire without having to actually make two different kinds of dough.  And that's a good thing.

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline woodmakesitgood

• You gots to cook it strong!
Re: Turning Thin Crust Dough Into Deep Dish On the Fly
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 02:42:56 PM »
So I had a bunch of no-knead, cold fermented Pizza Factory dough ready to go, and someone asked if we could throw a DD into the mix.  Not having any DD dough on hand, I took 450g of the thin crust dough out of the fridge and grabbed a stick of butter.  I figured that the dough was probably about 300g of flour, so 30g of butter would be a 10% boost of fats, to be added to the existing 8% oil.  So I cut up 30g of butter--or just over 2 Tbs--into slivers and little chunks and kneaded it into the cold dough a little bit, just to blend it.  Then I let the dough warm up and rise in a bowl.  Pressed it into an oiled pan and dressed as usual.

No pix, unfortunately, but the pizza turned out great! Nice flaky layers, good bite.  It was real deep dish, short texture and all.

Would I make this again?  Certainly!  Would it make it this way, intentionally, from scratch instead of one of the other DD formulations on here?  I dunno.  Maybe.  I see no reason not to.  What it does is provide a lazy man's way to double his repertoire without having to actually make two different kinds of dough.  And that's a good thing.

Cheers,
Garvey

Interesting!
Plus you get the flavor of a longer CF, and maybe a crust that's easier to digest.

Charles

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 04:25:24 PM »
Yeah, the flavor was good, and it was quite digestible.  I try to avoid same-day dough, so this was perfect.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 06:42:36 PM by Garvey »

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 10:55:48 AM »
Take pics next time and show us this pie.  I want to see that crust.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.