Author Topic: BTB's Thin Crust w/ Semolina (although I forgot the semolina)  (Read 2002 times)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: BTB's Thin Crust w/ Semolina (although I forgot the semolina)
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 03:31:16 PM »
Not Mrs. Garvey!!   :o
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline redox

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 03:39:01 PM »
You know, before finding this site I didn't know what a Chicago thin crust pizza was. As it turns out, my favorite local pizza joint, which has been family owned since the '50's, I believe, makes what I think is a Chicago style pizza. They even cut it in the Chicago approved way. The next time I get one I'll    post some pics to demonstrate. They have the most unusual layered, almost pasty-like crust. It turns out I've been eating Chicago thin crust since I was a kid. Who knew?

Offline redox

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 03:43:51 PM »
Ok, Bob. I crumbled and bought a 6 lb. package of Premio Sweet Italian sausage at Costco today. Looking forward to some really good sausage pizzas. Gotta fire up the vacuum sealer this evening.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 03:46:09 PM »
You know, before finding this site I didn't know what a Chicago thin crust pizza was. As it turns out, my favorite local pizza joint, which has been family owned since the '50's, I believe, makes what I think is a Chicago style pizza. They even cut it in the Chicago approved way. The next time I get one I'll    post some pics to demonstrate. They have the most unusual layered, almost pasty-like crust. It turns out I've been eating Chicago thin crust since I was a kid. Who knew?

What is the name and location of this shop?   :chef:  pretty much every mom n' pop pizza shop in the midwest has pizza like this -- just curious where yours is located!

Offline redox

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 03:51:45 PM »
Here's their web site.
http://inkysitalianfoods.com/
It's not that easy to find non-chain pizza in Toledo these days. This is the best, although the rest of their food is mediocre, the pizza is outstanding.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2013, 03:55:22 PM »
Ok, Bob. I crumbled and bought a 6 lb. package of Premio Sweet Italian sausage at Costco today. Looking forward to some really good sausage pizzas. Gotta fire up the vacuum sealer this evening.
Jay,
I hope you meant to say "mild" instead of "sweet"....mild is the one I recommend and it is great sausage.
You may live in an area where, apparently, Premio is only offering a "sweet" and a "hot" version. In those situations I sure hope the "sweet" is the same product that I get here in NC which is labeled "mild".
Jay, would you please check at your store next time you are there and verify if they in fact sell both the "sweet" and the "mild", also, what State are you buying in? Thanks. Hope you enjoy the sausage, fantastic on the grill and stuffed in a bun too.  :)

Bob

Offline redox

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2013, 04:07:25 PM »
Bob,
It says Sweet, that was the only kind I saw in the display case. It's what I'm going to be using for the next three months anyway.  :pizza:

Btw, Toledo OH

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontičres
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2013, 11:03:01 PM »
:-D

Yup, my wife's pizzas are also pie-cut.  It is my secret shame.

im a cheese and sausage guy.  and i like extra sauce.  i think cheese and sausage is the only way....my wife makes me make no sausage, extra cheese and little sauce on her half.......i also hate half and half pizzas.  but i guess ill do anything for her!!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2013, 11:28:54 PM »
im a cheese and sausage guy.  and i like extra sauce.  i think cheese and sausage is the only way....my wife makes me make no sausage, extra cheese and little sauce on her half.......i also hate half and half pizzas.  but i guess ill do anything for her!!
Awww.....good husband.  :angel:

Online pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2013, 09:04:58 PM »
I hear that but my wife wants sausage on all her pizza now.  B4 Garvey's recipe she hated it on pizza.  Go figure.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline redox

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2013, 08:24:05 AM »
A couple of pics from last night's pizza. I used 20% semolina this time...much better!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2013, 10:18:30 AM »
Wow!!   :drool:

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2013, 04:07:57 PM »
Wow!!   :drool:

I agree.  Great job on browning the top.

Offline redox

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2013, 05:58:07 PM »
Thanks, both of you

I finally figured out my oven's "sweet spot" for this type pie. I'll be doing these and other types that don't require heating up my baking stone this summer. I just can't justify paying to cool down the house in summer and then having the oven cranking out the BTU's for an hour just to heat the stone. Detroit style pizzas are another type I'll be doing this summer. Of course, I'll   get to experiment with doing pizza on the grill, so that'll be fun.

P.S. You'll have to take my word (I have no pics) but I did a party cut on the pie. I guarded it like a dog with a bone to prevent another case of the "wedgies."
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 06:01:51 PM by redox »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2013, 06:24:39 PM »
Well...we'll take your word for it this time Jay; but no more goof'in around.   ;D   Dang that is a purdy one.  :chef  Please tell me that's not Grande cheese.....

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2013, 06:51:38 PM »
You'll have to take my word (I have no pics) but I did a party cut on the pie. I guarded it like a dog with a bone to prevent another case of the "wedgies."

It would be a sin to ruin that beautiful pizza by cutting it into triangles.   :angel:

Offline redox

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2013, 11:40:19 PM »
Well...we'll take your word for it this time Jay; but no more goof'in around.   ;D   Dang that is a purdy one.  :chef  Please tell me that's not Grande cheese.....
Nope, it was a blend of Costco Precious Mozz, Wisc. White Cheddar, and Provolone. I don't get the Grande comment, is there something wrong with that brand? I've never had it so I'm curious.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2013, 11:49:47 PM »
Nope, it was a blend of Costco Precious Mozz, Wisc. White Cheddar, and Provolone. I don't get the Grande comment, is there something wrong with that brand? I've never had it so I'm curious.
Grande is great pizza cheese....I just have an on going "debate" with the(what I believe) monopoly online supplier know as Penn Mac. Their S&H fees are waaaaay not as consistent with most "working man's" pizza product suppliers...imho.....they need a boycott. But that ain't gonna happen.  ::)

Robert Baker

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2013, 09:15:59 AM »
Bob,

My recollection is that some of our members have purchased the Grande mozzarella cheeses in the past from Vern's. You might check out their offerings at http://www.vernscheese.com:10088/vernsShop/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=mozzarella and report back to us on how their total pricing on a like order (if that's possible) compares with PennMac, which is closer to you than Vern's.

Peter

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2013, 02:53:46 PM »
Bob,

My recollection is that some of our members have purchased the Grande mozzarella cheeses in the past from Vern's. You might check out their offerings at http://www.vernscheese.com:10088/vernsShop/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=mozzarella and report back to us on how their total pricing on a like order (if that's possible) compares with PennMac, which is closer to you than Vern's.

Peter
Looks like 'ol Vern ain't gonna look out for the work'in man either! He is $3 more than Mac on a 20lb cheese order...sheesh!!  >:(

Heck with it...just going to make my own man!  :-D

Actually, I'm going to fold like a cheap suitcase and place an order with the friendly pirate. Once you get up to the 30-40lb. range S&H levels out to adding right at $1 per pound. Soooo, Grande East Coast blend costs me $5.60 a pound. Bob can live with that..... ::)

Thanks Peter, please let me know if you ever start making cheese. I'll be your first customer if you can keep it below 5 bucks a pound all in.  :chef:

pizzapan