Author Topic: Will a baking steel even work with my oven :(  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Ncage

• I Love Pizza!
Will a baking steel even work with my oven :(
« on: April 21, 2013, 08:19:27 PM »
I went to measure my grates in my oven tonight:

and noticed that  the depth of my grates (from the little dip right before the raised edge) only measures about 13.5 inches. So it looks like the baking steel won't work with my oven correct? It looks like all the baking steels are 16x14. That unless there is some room between the end of the grate and the closed oven door or i try to pushed it up on the raised area and the end of the grate. If i can't it will be such a bummer i was looking so forward to purchasing one.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 08:31:48 PM by Ncage »

Offline chaspie

Re: Will a baking steel even work with my oven :(
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 12:58:34 AM »
Will your grate go in the slot upside down?  If so, that would eliminate the raised edge at the back.  It would be angling down.  I wonder why oven manufacturers make grates like that anyway.  It seems totally pointless.  What purpose does a raised back edge like that serve?  A flat grate would be fine.  My oven has weird raised-edge grates like that too.   

You can go to any steel supplier in your area and have them cut a rectangle of steel for you of any dimensions you want.  It'll be much (much) cheaper than buying one of the steels from bakingsteel.com.   Although it might not be as pretty.

Some people shy away from 1/2 inch thick steel because of the weight, but with your shallow oven depth, I don't think the weight of a 1/2 inch thick steel for your oven would be too heavy for most people.  Make it a couple inches wider than it is deep, and you'll have an easier time landing the pizza on it. 

Measure your oven carefully to determine the maximum depth you can handle.  I'd probably ignore that raised edge at the back and just plan on resting the steel plate on top of it.  Then level the front of the steel by putting a length of square tubing of appropriate size under it.  Maybe 3/4 x 3/4 square tubing?  Or some 1x1 angle?  Whatever will give you a more-or-less horizontal surface.  It doesn't have to be perfectly horizontal.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 01:08:34 AM by chaspie »

Offline Ncage

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 01:46:37 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Ya i'm  not sure what the purpose of the raised part is on the grates. I'm not sure if you can put them upside down but i'm sure going to try when i get home :). I actually just emailed them and Andris promptly replied. He pretty much told me he can cut one to any size i need. Before i email him back and going to go home and measure again. It looks like i might be able to go with 13.5 for the depth but to be safe i will probably go with 13. Maybe i will make the length 1 inch more to compensate for the lost in depth. So 17x13. I'll probably just end up going with 1/2'' steel. It probably cost a little more but i think well worth it rather than trying to hack something together.

Will your grate go in the slot upside down?  If so, that would eliminate the raised edge at the back.  It would be angling down.  I wonder why oven manufacturers make grates like that anyway.  It seems totally pointless.  What purpose does a raised back edge like that serve?  A flat grate would be fine.  My oven has weird raised-edge grates like that too.   

You can go to any steel supplier in your area and have them cut a rectangle of steel for you of any dimensions you want.  It'll be much (much) cheaper than buying one of the steels from bakingsteel.com.   Although it might not be as pretty.

Some people shy away from 1/2 inch thick steel because of the weight, but with your shallow oven depth, I don't think the weight of a 1/2 inch thick steel for your oven would be too heavy for most people.  Make it a couple inches wider than it is deep, and you'll have an easier time landing the pizza on it. 

Measure your oven carefully to determine the maximum depth you can handle.  I'd probably ignore that raised edge at the back and just plan on resting the steel plate on top of it.  Then level the front of the steel by putting a length of square tubing of appropriate size under it.  Maybe 3/4 x 3/4 square tubing?  Or some 1x1 angle?  Whatever will give you a more-or-less horizontal surface.  It doesn't have to be perfectly horizontal.

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 09:38:57 PM »
I went to a fabricator & had them cut a custom size....
Well worth it, & go with the 1/2" for sure..
Don't drop it on your toes!  :)
Clay

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 12:58:07 PM »
You can have the plate cut in half if it is too heavy. Scott123 recommends the plate to be as close as possible as to just able to close the door. I'm talking as close as a 1/16"....he (wisely) suggests cutting a piece of cardboard as a template. A couple inches on the L&R side is fine but you want to barely be able to close that door(front to back measurement)and with that little oven you have , Ncage, you want all you can get.
Chaspie is right on about placing a shim/supportbar at the front if your grate will not insert after you try flipping it upside down.

I believe the stupid lips on the racks are to keep it from sliding out more than half way(past the stops) if you are pulling the rack out to check temp/stir, etc. on something hot and heavy in there that you are cooking. That could all turn real ugly, real fast...  ;)

Bob
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 01:00:34 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Ncage

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 01:48:06 PM »
Thanks Bob for the excellent idea about the cardboard template. I'm definitely going to try that.
You can have the plate cut in half if it is too heavy. Scott123 recommends the plate to be as close as possible as to just able to close the door. I'm talking as close as a 1/16"....he (wisely) suggests cutting a piece of cardboard as a template. A couple inches on the L&R side is fine but you want to barely be able to close that door(front to back measurement)and with that little oven you have , Ncage, you want all you can get.
Chaspie is right on about placing a shim/supportbar at the front if your grate will not insert after you try flipping it upside down.

I believe the stupid lips on the racks are to keep it from sliding out more than half way(past the stops) if you are pulling the rack out to check temp/stir, etc. on something hot and heavy in there that you are cooking. That could all turn real ugly, real fast...  ;)

Bob

Offline Ncage

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 05:49:24 PM »
Bob your a life savor. Luckily i found a box that was exactly 14 in  and guess what?!?!?!? It fits :)!!! Just barely but apparently thats the way is supposed to be anyways. So it looks like i can save a little bit of money by not having to special order :). Thats great news :)

I tried to put the racks upside down but there was a no go for that.

Bob

Offline patdakat345

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 10:22:23 AM »
If any body is interested, these are the weights per square inch of plates ranging from 3/16" to 1"

Carbon Steel weight 490 pounds/cubic foot or 0.284 pounds/cubic inch

Thickness       Pounds/square inch
3/16         0.053
1/4         0.071
5/16         0.089
3/8         0.107
7/16         0.124
1/2         0.142
9/16         0.160
5/8         0.178
11/16         0.195
3/4         0.213
13/16         0.231
7/8         0.249
15/16         0.266
1         0.284

If your buying from a local fabricator, make sure the sides are smooth and maybe round the corners.

I hope somebody who knows thermodymanics would give us a formula for calculating the time it takes a plate of a certain size/thickness to come up to the oven temperature. It has been over 50 years since I had to do this.

pat

Offline Peasant

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 11:13:56 AM »
I use steel at the bottom of my oven (directly on the floor).  This might be a good option if the steel doesn't fit for some reason.  Until I got a second stone to finish pies under the broiler, I used to throw the pies under my counter top electric broiler in case  you would need to do that too.

pizzapan