Author Topic: New try with steel / stone, Sam's high-gluten  (Read 934 times)

Offline MO_Pie

New try with steel / stone, Sam's high-gluten
« on: April 21, 2013, 09:32:12 PM »
When I tried cooking on the 1/4" steel before, I felt like the bottom didn't quite get charred too well due to the lack of temp of the oven (650' on the plate).  This time I tried to cook with the stone under the plate and was maybe a bit better but not much.  I was shooting for a 68% dough (from past experience), but it was higher and didn't have to use all the flour as it started coming together before all the flour was in.  I'm guessing it was closer to 70%ish.  It was a bit tricky to handle and ended up making one calzone, but not too bad.  I do think I really like the results with the high-gluten baker's & chefs and found the crust was much softer than the sam's bread flour (bakers & chefs).  As you can see in the picture the plate was a little too far away from the stone so I moved it closer today and ended with the slice I'm holding in my hand.

Offline derricktung

Re: New try with steel / stone, Sam's high-gluten
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 06:33:30 AM »
Mo,

Some things that I've found that helps with "charring/browning" when using an at home oven include adding 2% sugar to your recipe, also providing a longer fermentation times...

Also, I'm a big advocate of using the top broiler method... if you're using the same method, you'll want to raise your shelf up to a higher level. 

If you're giving the steel at least 1 hr to 2 hrs of pre-heat, there really should be no reason you can't achieve some better browning/leoparding...  It's not going to be as pretty as a WFO, but you should get some nice spots for sure.

Offline MO_Pie

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 12:18:36 PM »
Thanks for the ideas - are you also using the steel on stone?

Offline derricktung

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
Mo_Pie,

Nope, just straight steel.  I found that it keeps the temperature without any issues, so didn't add the stone.

I did, however, play with placement of the stone on different levels of the oven.  I'm finding that the top with broiler works best.  I tried using it on the bottom with the heat turned up to 550+, but the bottom of the pie burned while the top remained fairly white/uncharred.

Keep experimenting!  I'm sure you'll find a combination you'll like...

Offline MO_Pie

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 03:54:06 PM »
Thanks!  How thick is your plate?  I'm using 1/4"

Offline slybarman

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 07:26:21 PM »
The texture sure looks good, just needs more top heat I'd say.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 06:43:07 AM »
Thanks!  How thick is your plate?  I'm using 1/4"

1/4" here as well.  Honestly, I'm not sure if the thicker plate makes a difference unless you're stringing a whole bunch of pies in a row or opening the oven all the time.  If you're only doing a few pies and allowing the steel to reheat a bit between pies, you should be fine.

Thicker steel = better heat retention, but at 1/4", you should be able to get some pretty decent retention already, especially if you're not throwing in pie after pie with no rest for the steel.  I"ll have to measure next time to see how much of a drop off there is...

pizzapan