Author Topic: Infrared Burner + LBE?  (Read 818 times)

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
Infrared Burner + LBE?
« on: May 01, 2013, 11:10:22 PM »
Hey folks,

I've been contemplating this idea for a little while and frankly I'm just not sure if its possible so I wanted to see if anyone had opinions on the matter.

I built a LBE several years ago, and while it was an enjoyable project with tasty results, I think where I falter is consistency, some of it is probably due to needing to tinker a little more with the design to get better evenness to the underside, but for me I felt like I have trouble controlling the heat.

I'd love to try and configure a way to get better and reliable heat control, whether that be by setting to some sort of thermostat or what have you, I'm just not a man with the know-how.

I have read about several members relocating the infrared burners in their SS grills and creating enclosures to make their pizzas.  Does anyone have an opinion on the viability of buying a propane fired infrared burner and mounting it inside the egg facing down?

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Infrared Burner + LBE?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 11:41:20 PM »
This may work but I see 2 potential problems.  Lack of space inside the LBE lid for a IR burner and the IR may put out too much heat.  What I have thought about doing is to somehow install an electric coil element in the lid with a thermostat control.  That might work as well.  Good luck. 

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
Re: Infrared Burner + LBE?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 05:05:10 AM »
Appreciate the input Chau.  The heat output of the IR burner also concerned me, but I've seen videos online that appear to be of people controlling IR burners pretty precisely (or at least being able to cut the heat or crank it incredibly quick, and that is intriguing.

The lack of space is another issue that I was uncertain about.  I have a regular 18" or so lid as well as a Smokey Joe lid.  Whether these lids could accommodate a burner I haven't explored yet. 

Ideally whatever setup I rigged would end up with a rotating stone to avoid me having to babysit and turn constantly, but I dunno how realistic that truly will be for me with a LBE, IR burner or no. 

I'm not an incredibly handy guy, though I do try.  I'm slick enough with IVs and ED procedures, but some elementary stuff simply eludes me.  Heat management appears to be one of those things.

pizzapan