Author Topic: Any oven suggestions for low volume Restaurant  (Read 745 times)

Offline islandguy

Re: Any oven suggestions for low volume Restaurant
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 05:57:04 PM »
I've decided what I "think" I'm going to do about our Pizza operation in our Club.  I'm going to put the 22 inch Bakers Pride back into operation.  (Its unplugged and not used right now). When I talked to the head Cook, she said when they tried to use the BP Oven last year, they set the Temp. to 350 degrees and didn't like the Pizzas that came out.   I'm going to start out running it all the way up to 650 degrees.   I"m going to give the kitchen my dough recipe and show them how to make it.  Have them put about 20 dough balls into a plastic cup and store in the Fridg for 2-3 days.  I'm going to try and find a used dough sheeter (don't want to pay $1,500 to $2500 for new one)  When an order comes in for pizza, have one of our Collage Kids run the dough ball thru the sheeter, put the toppings on it and put it into the BP electric oven.
I think i can teach them how to bake a Pie in about a week, but doing the dough by hand may take all Summer.  After a few weeks, i will reevaluate and may make some changes.
Doing it this way will cost me very little and if volume picks up, I can buy differend equipment.
Thanks to everyone for their input.
Glenn

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 06:23:07 PM »
Sounds wise Glenn, good luck.  :chef:
Are you going to make a thin crust style or a cracker pizza?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline scott123

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 06:34:49 PM »
350? Yikes!!!

Are you going to make a thin crust style or a cracker pizza?

Is it common for thin crust or cracker to be baked at 650?  :)

Seriously, Genn, if you're doing NY style, even with inexperienced help, I really think a sheeter is a bad idea. I don't know. I guess anything is better than what you're doing now, but a sheeter- it's painful to even type it :)

I'm curious, do you have 1 smart college kid that works the whole season?

And plastic cups are asking for trouble- especially when disposable tupperware containers are so cheap. If you go with a relatively low hydration dough (60ish with bromated bread flour) you might be able to use the tupperware without oiling it. Maybe.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 06:43:34 PM »
350? Yikes!!!

Is it common for thin crust or cracker to be baked at 650?  :)

We know that but.....

When I saw `sheeter` I thought oh boy, here comes Scott!  ; And then I saw Glenn is in Wisc. so I searched the forum a bit and found there are some folks sheeting crackers and thin crusts and baking at 650.

The Monicals pizza Peter cloned looks real good.

Offline scott123

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2014, 06:58:52 PM »
I searched the forum a bit and found there are some folks sheeting crackers and thin crusts and baking at 650.

Really, there's people baking thin crusts at 650? I would never have thought that.  You win.  This time  >:D

Offline islandguy

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2014, 07:03:34 PM »
Scott
I have never used a sheeter. I just know that after my WFO was completed about 6 Months ago, we had three Pizza party's at our home with  20-30 people at each party.
When I invited the guest to make their own pizza and give them a dough ball.  Some didn't want to handle the dough and the ones that did flatten the dough made a mess.
It worked best when I made the flat crust and they put their own topping on.
So, from watching 30-40 people try to make a crust  with  their hand, leads me to believe, it might not be worth it.  Some of the pizza's came out of the oven shaped like the State of Florida.
I do plan to buy the cheap Glad containers. For our dough balls.
Enclosed is a photo of my new WFO at my home

Offline scott123

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2014, 07:26:41 PM »
Glenn, I hear you. 30-40 people over the course of 3 parties, isn't the same as training someone for a week, though, right?

You give me anyone, even the most apathetic teenager, for a couple hours, 5 days straight... and I'll have them stretching some pretty mean doughs on day 3. It's nice if you can stretch the training out over a few weeks, since the longer time tends to let it sink in a bit better, but it can be expedited.

I know you're trying to idiot proof this, and, where ever you can make it simpler, you should, but I'm not sure you need to cut that many corners on the stretch.

Now... simplifying cold fermenatation- and warm up times- yeesh, that's a little scary.  I guess you're planning on using the dough straight from the fridge?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 07:46:25 PM by scott123 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2014, 07:41:19 PM »
If you do a mid west sheeted thin crust pizza you can really streamline the process with same day dough and cutter pans.  ;)

Offline islandguy

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2014, 08:25:53 AM »
Glenn, I hear you. 30-40 people over the course of 3 parties, isn't the same as training someone for a week, though, right?

You give me anyone, even the most apathetic teenager, for a couple hours, 5 days straight... and I'll have them stretching some pretty mean doughs on day 3. It's nice if you can stretch the training out over a few weeks, since the longer time tends to let it sink in a bit better, but it can be expedited.

I know you're trying to idiot proof this, and, where ever you can make it simpler, you should, but I'm not sure you need to cut that many corners on the stretch.

Now... simplifying cold fermenatation- and warm up times- yeesh, that's a little scary.  I guess you're planning on using the dough straight from the fridge?

Scott
I'm sure I will have to play with the times, but I let the dough warm up on the counter about 3-4 hours for my WFO. I'm going to try and do the same in the club kitchen.  Very seldom is a Pizza sold before lunch, so I will have 5-6 dough balls set out when the staff first comes in.

Chicago Bob
What is a Mid-West sheeted thin coast pizza?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2014, 10:06:46 AM »

Chicago Bob
What is a Mid-West sheeted thin coast pizza?
These are same day dough, baked in a cutter pan around 425 degrees. I do them in the Blackstone sometimes too.

........http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,22946.0.html#top

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2014, 10:55:11 AM »
That's what I like to see, CB!  Mmmmm....Gouda!
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline scott123

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2014, 02:31:57 PM »
These are same day dough, baked in a cutter pan around 425 degrees. I do them in the Blackstone sometimes too.

Bob, respectfully, while your chi-town thin pies are beautiful, Glenn is already dealing with an output issue here.  A longer bake is only going to make it worse. It does simplify the prep substantially, and, even though he's tempered his volume expectations temporarily, he still wants to be able to make and sell as much pizza as he can.  Extending the bake time isn't going to achieve that.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 03:07:35 PM by scott123 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2014, 06:14:20 PM »
Bob, respectfully, while your chi-town thin pies are beautiful, Glenn is already dealing with an output issue here.  A longer bake is only going to make it worse. It does simplify the prep substantially, and, even though he's tempered his volume expectations temporarily, he still wants to be able to make and sell as much pizza as he can.  Extending the bake time isn't going to achieve that.
Scott, respectfully, the man jus asked me what a midwest thin crust pizza was so I showed him.....sheesh.  ::)

I`m going to go check and see how fast a Vito and Nicks can bake in a 650 BS.  ;D

ps, I`ve done some fast baked delicious Star Tavern pies in the BS also.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 06:16:00 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline islandguy

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2014, 10:31:44 PM »
Bob
From a cold oven, how long does it take to get the BS to 650 degree?
Thanks
Glenn

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2014, 10:45:42 PM »
Bob
From a cold oven, how long does it take to get the BS to 650 degree?
Thanks
Glenn
About 10 minutes Glenn, tops and you will be ready to do back to backs, this is @ jus a lil over half power. You can idle it back in between bakes during slow period if preferred to conserve fuel. The oven can reliably hold a steady temp throughout any cooking range. Tonight I did a small prime rib for 2 at 225 for about 2hrs...once I get the flame/heat adjusted I sit back and drink a cold one...I know I can trust this oven.  ;

ps.   I`m working an unmodded oven, platter height adjust only.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 10:50:25 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline islandguy

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2014, 11:26:52 PM »
Bob
I may buy a BS for my home.  As shown above, I have a nice new WFO that I love and have been turning out great pies.  But, as I mention in another post, I'm always testing new dough recipes or just want to make one Pizza for my wife and I on short notice.  The WFO takes about 1 to 1.5 hours to get up to temp and is a lot of trouble for just one pie.
Plus, if I decide to move it to the club, I will have experience with it.
Thanks
Glenn