Author Topic: Mobile WFO operators...  (Read 2107 times)

Offline Chaze215

Mobile WFO operators...
« on: April 22, 2013, 02:08:21 PM »
Are you the one to make the pies or do you man the oven? I know it can get pretty hectic when orders start to come in. Stretching the skins is as important as the baking. So then I guess my follow up question would be, is it easier to train someone to work the oven or stretch/prep the skins? Just curious. Thanks!

Chaz
Chaz

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
Re: Mobile WFO operators...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 02:54:05 PM »
when i'm in a hurry, i make two pies at a time.  I stretch the skins, helper dresses them and pulls them onto the peel and i load and man the oven.  probably easier to train someone to do the benchwork than the oven work.  I have a hard time not doing both because i've spent years figuring it out and i hate to comprimise.  some help is better than other!
bill

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 05:10:53 PM »
Bill, so do u usually bake 1 pie at a time and it's usually just you and 1 helper?
Chaz

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 06:16:38 PM »
Come on up here friday Night (could use help ) or Saturday ( please)  I have Gigs both Days and I will show you how it works. Oven man much easier to train IMO  Learning stretch 60% + dough takes years to master or at least a few 100 pies. I have trained oven same day not perfect but better than the crazy thick thin holes messes ... Is not as easy as it looks ! I see you poking around the mobile forums also  ;) you pulling the trigger Chaze?
John
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 06:18:43 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 06:42:23 PM »
Come on up here friday Night (could use help ) or Saturday ( please)  I have Gigs both Days and I will show you how it works. Oven man much easier to train IMO  Learning stretch 60% + dough takes years to master or at least a few 100 pies. I have trained oven same day not perfect but better than the crazy thick thin holes messes ... Is not as easy as it looks ! I see you poking around the mobile forums also  ;) you pulling the trigger Chaze?
John

John, Ive been waiting to see your schedule over the next few months. I would love to see your operation and get some tips/pointers/words to the wise etc... Where is your gig Friday night? I would have come up Saturday, but I have plans to go into NYC; celebrating my Dad's 5th anniversary of his kidney transplant. Actually, I have exchanged a few emails with Antoine over the past few days with regards to a mobile unit. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!
PS...How was the pizza party Sunday?
Chaz

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 07:04:14 PM »
I will be glad to discuss the mobile options  with you Chaze

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 07:33:23 PM »
Thanks John,  I appreciate it.  Where and what time is your gig Friday night? I usually work til 4. PM me when you get a chance.
Chaz

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 08:06:08 PM »
In waldwick 10 minoff rt 17  Party Not til 7 pm First pie out 8 pm going in with 75  :chef: could use the help
Thanks John

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 08:50:27 PM »
I will help you out on Friday. PM me the details.

Chaz
Chaz

Offline csafranek

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 09:48:59 PM »
Wow I wish I could help. Way tooooooo far away. I would love to get a mobile up and going someday!

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 08:40:16 AM »
Bill, so do u usually bake 1 pie at a time and it's usually just you and 1 helper?
I usually do it all myself.  I can do two at a time by myself no problem but it's faster if I get someone to dress the skins.  I don't think I can keep up with John's pace but I like to control both ends of the deal! it's usually fast enough for parties of less than 30. 
bill

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 06:07:02 PM »
Oh yes the  address is 17 pine view drive waldwick nj
 :chef: john

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 06:26:15 PM »
Oh yes the  address is 17 pine view drive waldwick nj
 :chef: john

Be there by 7? Anything in particular I should or shouldn't wear?
Chaz

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 10:12:19 PM »
yeah, The Hat in your Avatar  :-D
No just neat see you friday appreciate it ! Happy to show you the show , should be fun
ciao

Offline cnkymnky

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 01:45:01 PM »
I man the oven, my wife and our daughter stretch and make the pies.....works great for us...and heck what guy doesn't love playing with the fire  ;D for larger public events we also have a girl that works for us taking orders and another who slices the pies and gets them out, we have done as many as 100 pies in an hour with this setup.....but it definately keeps you on your toes...lol

Offline derricktung

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 04:41:08 PM »
I'm going to start by saying I have no experience yet as our oven is on it's way.  (It actually arrived today at the house, and then the delivery guy said he wasn't equipped to take it off the truck, and then drove away... I'm not even going to tell you how frustrated I am).  In any case, with our mobile business starting in about one month, here's what I've planned:

Lighter smaller markets - Two to three folks.  One to stretch dough and dress the pizza, one on the oven and handling cash.

Larger busier markets  - Three to four folks - One to stretch.  One to dress.  One to man the oven and cut.  One to handle cash. 

You don't want the cash person to touch food (otherwise, they have to wash their hands between each time they handle cash and food) so better to stick that person with oven work or just handling cash/orders.

While managing the oven and stretching the dough are the most important pieces for the quality of the pie, stretching the dough is definitely the biggest learning curve... which is likely why I'll be doing that portion when I'm around. 

We'll see if my theory pans out, but from what others are sharing here, it sounds about right...

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 05:52:26 PM »
yeah, The Hat in your Avatar  :-D
No just neat see you friday appreciate it ! Happy to show you the show , should be fun
ciao
Oh John, don't make me bust out my chef hat I got in Mexico after our cooking class!

So in a market setting, what size pies do u make and what do you charge? Limited toppings?
Chaz

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 09:18:08 PM »
Yep 2 -3 choices thats it 12" $10 Bucks  add $1  for topping 9" $7-8 add $1 for topping
chnky hows it going ??? what size  pie you doing @ 100 per hour? man thats cooking!
John

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 09:26:59 PM »
Yep 2 -3 choices thats it 12" $10 Bucks  add $1  for topping 9" $7-8 add $1 for topping
chnky hows it going ??? what size  pie you doing @ 100 per hour? man thats cooking!
John

About 275g doughballs for 12" pie?
Chaz

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 11:57:09 PM »
I do 255-260 G