Author Topic: How do you handle irrate customers?  (Read 9379 times)

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
Re: How do you handle irrate customers?
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 06:45:13 PM »
Customers AREN'T always right.....but its the owners job or his employees to make them THINK they are.

But, in this case, you could only lose.  And it was better to lose HER as a customer.

BTW, i think she stopped payment on the check,no??

Offline Warren Montney

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 04:16:53 PM »
Irate customers are AWESOME! they are the best thing that can ever happen to you. A  new customer who is mad and doesn't tell you is about 40% likely to come back. A new customer who is not mad and is happy with their service is 72% likely to come back. A customer who is mad and tells you is 92% likely to come back . They are basically money in the bank. be glad that they gave you a chance to fix it. 

Offline Saturday Coffee

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 11:42:21 PM »
Let's face, an "unreasonable" customer will never be satisfied no matter what you do and will return to make your business life miserable.  Cut them lose and do yourself and your staff a favor by telling them that although you appreciate their business, it's apparent you can't make them happy and you are ceasing the business relationship with them.

Great advice.....I need to add something like this to our Kitchen Rules we post .. I am sure you can adapt them to apply to Pizza

KITCHEN RULES

Coffee sales donít pay the mortgage here Ė remember business is still all about making money.

Consistency and efficiency will make or break this place.

Serve only fresh products that taste delicious.

Remember each customer expects a cup/plate of magic served to them with a smile.

Be courteous to all customers; including the one with a personality disorder.

Ambiance is important. Make the customer feel welcome and appreciated.

Specialty coffee not on the menu - be flexible and provide the customer exactly what they request.

Annoying, demanding, irritating, pushy customers are still customers.

Leave your attitudes at home, we get enough customers coming in with their own attitudes.

If you donít have a sense of humor, pretend you have one.

If you can make customers laugh you can make them buy.

Great customer service is not optional Ė itís your duty.

No customers = No job.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 01:15:26 AM »
this
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2014, 06:49:30 PM »
I gotta say...it takes a UNIQUE situation where you DON'T pay attention to the credo that THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT..... Im not saying the circumstances to dont exist....but I AM saying that you will ALWAYS come out better for wear if you follow that saying.....even if it is less than true.  I cant imagine ANYONE going into business UNLESS they follow that saying.......because BUSINESS EQUALS CASH........I 30 years of business, I told a customer to f..k off exactly TWICE......I think thats why ive been in BUSINESS for 30 years.

Believe me, ive swallowed pride......but that pride wouldn't have paid for my kids college education......and BESIDES.....its NOT about me and my hubris....

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2014, 09:58:30 PM »
What is the difference between a salesperson and a customer?

A salesperson waits until after s/he hangs up the phone to say F.U.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2014, 06:12:02 AM »
To me an irate customer situation first needs to be listened to as objectively as possible.  From there I respond.  I haven't had one in our 2 years so far but I have had some complain about our price increase and one take advantage of one of my disabled students (took a 1/4 piece of a pie that hadn't been cut yet and only paid for 1 slice).  These were both teachers can you believe that?  Being in a public school and being a teacher I have to watch my NJ upbringing with such situations :)  With the complaints about the price increase I simply stated ingredients go up so must our price.  One customer got very loud and stomped out.  I told them that if .50 for a slice is going to upset her so much we don't want her energy in the shop.  The guy that stole the big slice was a different story.  I went up to him and asked how he could pay for 1 slice when it was really a 1/4 pie?  He said it was one slice and one slice is $1.50.  He is a 2-3 time a week customer and always trying to get something for free.  I whispered in his ear that he was as low as stealing from the blind mans cup and if we were not in a public school I would plant his as#.  His eyes bugged and payed for the additional slices.  I smiled, thanked him, and told him he is welcome back anytime if he acts right.  He stayed away for a week or so but now is back regularly and not pulling any of cheap as# stuff and being very polite.  IMO the shop is mine and my rules about common courtesy and decency are gospel.  If one can't operate in a civilized manner I will kick them out.  A few bucks are not important to me for such negative energy.  Anyplace I run will be a happy place and negative vibes are not allowed.  We have screwed up a bunch with things and I do as I was taught to do in these situations- make it up to them 10 fold.  If we run out of dough and a customer walks in to pick up his pie which had ordered the day before I appologize, give him bread, baked goods, on hand, tell him the next pie is on me and when he comes in next time I give him 2 pies, more baked goods, and again appologize.  Walter

here is an example of the extreme of how I run my place but the root is basically the same.  I ate here in the 70's/80's and it was a great experience. The guy created his own universe and that is what I do- without the foul language and yelling he  uses :)  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shopsins
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 12:31:55 PM by waltertore »

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2014, 01:09:33 PM »
Read his book, walter!!  He's damn lucky he has a place in New York.....AND.....hes been lauded in several publications.........in ANYTOWN, USA, he would be gone in a week.

But, he threw his hat into the NYC scene and succeeded...he deserves whatever he gets.....as long as prospective restaurant owners don't see his situation as THE NORM.

They will be sadly dissappointed.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2014, 01:20:08 PM »
Read his book, walter!!  He's damn lucky he has a place in New York.....AND.....hes been lauded in several publications.........in ANYTOWN, USA, he would be gone in a week.

But, he threw his hat into the NYC scene and succeeded...he deserves whatever he gets.....as long as prospective restaurant owners don't see his situation as THE NORM.

They will be sadly dissappointed.

I would never be rude like he is but if you get past his outward rudeness you will see he created a space that attracted people that love him and he loves them.  It became a sort of social club of like minds and being bent off center was the norm.  I am bent well off center and found it a very exciting place to frequent not for the drama but for the deep thinking/caring souls that came there. His yelling was something I would not enjoy today but as a late teen it was very intriguing.

I will always listen to any customer complaint.  But I will not be yelled at or treated rude.  That will get you bounced out everytime and for life.  People that can't talk politely I want nothing to do with. I will gladly give them their money back, thank them, and tell them they are not welcome here again.  People who come in our place regularly comment on how happy the space is.  That is my goal and letting irate people frequent it destroys it big time.  We all have bad days but still can remain civilized.  People that find being rude to others as their way of expressing a complaint are not worth being around and I couldn't care a hoot if I loose a sale over them.  This is very exciting to me with opening my own pizzeria someday. I can control who I work with and who comes in the door.  I will not be in the need of making much money so I can afford to do things my way.  Working for a school I have little to no choice in this area but within that  I have sort of  created my own universe so to speak that is based on caring and love and being a benevolent dictator.  If you can't hang with that go to Dominos :)  Walter
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 09:22:00 PM by waltertore »

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2014, 12:28:38 AM »
I would try to calm the customer down by offering some more pizza, if she is still irate I'd just chalk it up to insanity.