Author Topic: Spring back  (Read 505 times)

Offline forzaroma

Spring back
« on: April 22, 2013, 08:49:02 PM »
I have worked mostly with neopolitan doughs and not much with Ny style. I am working at a place trying to do a cross of Ny and Neo. I have come up with some decent doughs using various mixes of flours and fermentations. My recent batches have been coming  out great just one issue is that when I stretch the dough it is super elastic and tough to open and springs back. I have to stretch intitially and let rest a minute or so. This is not really ok in a commercial setting as I need to keep it moving.

I have made 2 batches in a row that turned out like this. My ingredients and method are as followed:

I used 20 lbs all trumps and 5lbs caputo
6 quarts water
9 oz salt
4 oz sugar
cup of olive oil
2 oz cake yeast

I mix water with the yeast dissolve it.
Add sugar and oil to water mix
Add flour and begin the mix
when flour is incorporated I add salt.
Mix for 15 minutes and then bulk rest for 1 hour
Ball and rest another hour then in fridge for minimum 24 hours.

Am I mixing too long possibly?

Offline Tannerwooden

Re: Spring back
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 11:08:33 PM »
Have you considered dough conditioners?

Offline chaspie

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 01:16:23 AM »
Your hydration for that dough, not counting the oil, is only 50%.  That seems very low to me.   15 minutes seems like too long to mix, but I don't know what kind of mixer you're using.   In any case, overmixing will develop the gluten too much, and I've read that under hydrating also creates gluten with excessive elasticity.

I think you need more water in the dough, and you should reduce your mixing time. 

Please note that I am an amateur home bread baker, and very much a novice pizza dough maker.  I have no experience with commercial-sized batches of dough.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 06:59:47 AM »
definitely try less mixing and up the hydration to 60, but I think under fermentation is really your culprit.    Any time "snap back" dough memory is an issue, that is likely the cause.     Good luck!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 07:05:35 AM »
forzaroma,

I donít know what kind of mixer you are using either, but would tend to agree that your mix time is too long.  I donít recall if I ever mixed All Trumps with Caputo flour, but usually now if I make a NY style dough, or even a Neapolitan dough the mix time is only somewhere between 4-7 minutes.  You can see how my dough looks like in some of the posts at Reply 1656 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg246169.html#msg246169
and a Reply 1657 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg246170.html#msg246170
when I showed the photos, how that one piece of dough naturally started to window pane better, just from letting it sit out a little until I made the next batch.   

Peter provided a link at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12589.msg120777.html#msg120777 but I couldnít get that link to work this morning.  Maybe this link will work.  You can see though what different members posted after Peterís post. http://www.bakemag.com/Baking%20and%20Production/Mix%20Times%20and%20Development.aspx?p=1&cck=1

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 12:39:16 PM »
   forzaroma,
You did not mention how long the dough ball is out of the frig before you open them.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"