Author Topic: so far so .. well  (Read 571 times)

Offline jeepnrocks

so far so .. well
« on: April 22, 2013, 04:46:13 PM »
Well, I made a full batch of dough today using the lehman recipe found on the home page. I kept the yeast at the lowest ammount reccomended. 62% hydration which included the oil.
The dough definitely felt stronger than my normal recipe which uses almost 20 oz oil.
Anyhow I left one ball sit out for a couple hours, the chilled it off for a bit.
Normally when I cook straight on the stone I use a liberal ammount of a cornmeal-flour mix, or semolina/regular flour

For this experiment i used just a very light dusting of semolina. The pie launched beautifully into the oven but burnt pretty bad. I'm currently not sure if the dough actually needs to proof regularly and not be forced for a quick cook , or if I was way to gentle with the semolia.
Also I am cooking at 600 in a blodgett 1000. I really dont want the temp to go any lower, in fact I would love to be able to cook with the oven cranked to 700

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
Re: so far so .. well
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
J;
Were you using the dough formula with sugar? As dark as the crust appears to be it looks like you have sugar in it. When using that dough formula in a deck oven the sugar becomes an optional ingredient as the deck normally provides all the color one might want.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline jeepnrocks

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 05:01:51 PM »
Hi Tom, not a drop of sugar in the recipe.
I am pretty much self taught so perhaps I didnt use enough coating on the paddle. I did try this cook time after only a couple hours.
Also, will 1.5 cups of sugar affect the flavor profile of a 90 pound dough ball?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 10:54:37 AM »
JR;
To make a 90-pound dough you would use 50 to 55-pounds of flour depending upon the dough formulation. Adding 1.5-cups of sugar to the dough formulation would be equal to about 10.5-ounces of sugar or 1.3% based on 50-pounds of flour. This amount of sugar will not significantly impact the finished crust flavor, especially when presented as a completed pizza, but it will impact the browning of the dough/crust during baking. It will brown faster, potentially resulting in a shorter baking time which can mean a slightly less crispy crust, or one that will not hold its crisp quite as long as a crust made without sugar in its formulation.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline jeepnrocks

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 10:12:30 PM »
Thanks Tom,
I had better results today, however I feel I may need moer hydration in my dough. It still felt very strong today. I only mix for 10 minutes after all dry ingredients become wet. I did measure my total hydration with oil included and came up with 62.6% hydration (13.75 quarts of liquid including oil) I was cooking at 600 in my blodgett 1000 and the top didnt cook quite as much as I'd like on the first pie but the bottom was very nice. The 2nd pie was at 550 and the bottom got darker and slightly burned.
Thanks in advance for the help, its difficult trying to figure this stuff out on my own and the forum has given me a good deal of info already.
Mike

pizzapan