Author Topic: Steel Tiles  (Read 735 times)

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
Steel Tiles
« on: April 23, 2013, 05:47:10 PM »
Give me some feedback.  I use quarry tiles on my oven rack instead of a stone.  The advantage is that I can come close to lining the whole rack, giving me lots of surface area, and when I cook pizzas elsewhere, I can bring tiles in a variety of sizes (thickness being constant) to maximize coverage in someone else's oven even if its dimensions are different from my own.  I have been looking online, and steel tiles are available in a variety of sizes.  Don't you think this would be a great idea as a portable solution?  I haven't tried steel at all yet, but frequently when I bake pies in someone else's oven, I don't get the bake times, and browning/charring that the Glutenboy oven provides.  This might improve those results.  What do you think?  Anybody gone the steel-tile route yet?
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
Re: Steel Tiles
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 05:48:43 PM »
I'm surprised nobody responded to this. I'd like to share my thoughts.

I'm using 1/2" steel. It's very heavy, but to make it a little more portable (like you mentioned) I had mine cut in half parallel to the oven door. If I were to cut it perpendicular to the oven door, I would fear the oven rack would actually flex a lot more since the plates are no longer being supported on the two ends closest to the shelf supports. Follow what I'm saying? I attached a really sophisticated drawing for a better visual  ::)

With this in mind, I think steel tiles would have a similar rack bending issue. But if you were to combine the two ideas and found 3" x 24" x 1/2" "tiles", it would remain strong, portable & easier to handle.

Josh

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 07:12:01 PM »
Or, you could build supports for the tiles, I believe there is a thread around here somwhere, where supports were made for 1/2" steel plate.

Mark.
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 05:33:51 PM »
I hadn't even considered the weight issue as far as deforming the rack.  Those suckers must be heavy.  Hmmm...  Are you speculating, or have you actually experienced a bent rack?  It sounds painful.  :-D  But seriously, Folks, if the metal is split into parts wouldn't this reduce the stress on each individual part of the oven rack anyway by breaking up the weight?  Wish I could do a trial run without spending too much $$$.
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 08:56:26 AM »
Perhaps another solution would be to buy an aftermarket oven rack that would support the steel.
Many "standard" home ovens have racks that are weaker; I have a bertazzoni oven whose racks support my 1/2" steel with no flexing.

Clay

pizzapan