Author Topic: Soapstone Oven Floor  (Read 1057 times)

Offline tuckerdog99

Soapstone Oven Floor
« on: April 24, 2013, 10:37:30 AM »
Thanks in advance for any comments

I am looking at having a WFO built and one of the questions is using Soapstone as the oven floor
Doing a search on this site I have seen posts on the use of Soapstone, however I am having a hard time pinning down whether it is a real improvement to the ovens performance

Taking advantage of the expertise here I would appreciate any and all opinions

Thanks again in advance
Michael ???

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Soapstone Oven Floor
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 10:52:28 AM »
IMO, soapstone's thermal conductivity (6.4 W/mK) is way too high for the floor of a WFO if you plan to bake at Neapolitan temps or anything close to that. You will scorch your bottoms instantly. I think the right number is in the range of 0.3 - 0.6 W/mK. Certainly not more than 1.1 W/mK.

If you never plan to bake over 600F, maybe, but why mess with a WFO if that is the case?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline tuckerdog99

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 11:40:40 AM »
Thanks for the response
From your comment it would seem that excess floor heat would also be a problem if the oven was being used for baking bread etc.
I guess the implication is that you would end up with an unbalanced heat profile in relation to the size of your heat source, ie fire?
Thanks again
Michael

Offline Joanna

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 04:41:18 PM »
I have a soapstone 'heater' with a built-in oven. The oven is lined with refractory brick and is a 'black' oven, that means there is a vent in the floor of the oven that opens directly to the firebox. I fire the main chamber, fire the oven itself, rake oven coals to the firebox (which has burned down by this point) and start baking my Za's. the first one I use a raised rack, the 2nd and subsequent ones I haven't needed to do that. I have a supplemental soapstone plate I can use in the oven, haven't tried it yet - waiting till the weather cools down.

For me, the benefit from the soapstone plate will be in its non-stick properties, I think.

pizzapan