Author Topic: Different style of topping  (Read 774 times)

Offline MaximusTG

Different style of topping
« on: April 24, 2013, 12:43:28 PM »
I'm usually inclined to top my pizza's with tomato sauce, salami sausage, bell pepper, mushrooms, mozzarella.

Wanting to try something else, I looked around, and came up with this combination:

Tomato sauce, dried ham, caramelized red onion with balsamic vinegar, fresh mozzarella and some goat's cheese. After baking topped with some rucola with olive oil and salt. Also some black pepper.

This is a 68% 74%, whoops  ::) hydration dough with 8% sourdough, from the refridgerator (not very active). Also 1/8 tsp instant yeast (on a total of 600 grams of dough for two pizza's).
Baked for 7 minutes in a 250 C oven on a pizza stone.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 06:07:07 PM by MaximusTG »

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
Re: Different style of topping
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 12:48:50 PM »
That's a tasty looking pie you made there. 8)

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 01:05:57 PM »
Pretty pie.

What is dried ham?

How did you like the goat cheese with the tomato sauce?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline MaximusTG

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 01:10:36 PM »
I liked the combination very much!
Maybe dried ham is a wrong name for it, cured ham is probably better. Anyway, it's this one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Forest_ham

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 02:11:49 PM »
Looks a little like prociutto, only maybe not as thin and I'm sure smoking would give it a different flavor. I guess it's a different part of the pig as well.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 02:23:39 PM »
Looks a little like prociutto, only maybe not as thin and I'm sure smoking would give it a different flavor. I guess it's a different part of the pig as well.

Same part of the pig, not as dry, and as you noted, a very different flavor from the smoke.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline MaximusTG

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 02:40:18 PM »
Yeah, and it's a bit more affordable than prosciutto, at least here in the Netherlands. For 75 grams prosciutto of at least a reasonable quality you pay 3.60 euro in the supermarket.

I really liked this combination, and mixing the rucola with olive oil and salt was a good idea too. You often see people tossing a hand of rucola on their pizza, just plain. Never liked it like that.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 03:20:22 PM »
Very nice looking pies. Nice crumb structure, good color. You done well!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline MaximusTG

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 04:34:33 PM »
Hmm, going over my notes for this bake, and I guess I may have accidentally made this a 74% pie!

I intended to increase the hydration from 67% I had previously used to 68%;

So I initially figured 360 grams of flour and 245 grams of water.

But then I couldn't start the dough until 12 in the afternoon, and I usually use longer fermentation times, so I figured I would use a small amount of sourdough from the fridge for the flavor, combined with a small amount of yeast.

So I figured I'd use 50 grams of sourdough, at 75% hydration, which gives about 30/20 flour/water. So I put the sourdough in 225 grams of water.
Then I had to add 215 grams of flour to get a 1:1 ratio, which I often do, to let it ferment, than add the rest of the flour later and then knead.

But I seem to have counted the 30 grams of flour twice, resulting in 330 grams of total flour, and 74% hydration :P.
I guess that explains why the dough was so slack.

Oh, BTW, for a Dutch forum I also made a movie of how I stretched the dough, for anyone who might be interested:

Shaping pizza
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 06:06:26 PM by MaximusTG »

Offline VarunS

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 03:43:20 PM »
Your pie looks really nice  ;D

After stretching do you put it on a peel and then put the sauce and toppings?

Goat Cheese does taste really nice with tomato sauce, have tried this combination as well but using a sundried tomato pesto instead of the sauce lots of caramelized onions & some fresh basil

Offline MaximusTG

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 04:30:27 AM »
Thanks VarunS! Yes, that is exactly what I normally do. You just can't see it in the youtube clip, because the "camera" I was using was nothing more than a Samsung Galaxy S 3 phone mounted on top some of those sturdy paper tubes on which cling film is rolled :P.
Didn't want to move it with my floury hands ;).

On a sidenote -  I think it is one thing to make great looking pies, but transferring that look to a photograph is another story altogether!

Offline MaximusTG

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 12:18:03 PM »
So I tried to recreate the dough I baked with the goat's cheese; Think it worked out fine :).

Ingredients:

335 gr (100%) flour
230 gr (68,6%) water
35 gr (10%) sourdough
1/8 tsp yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp honey

The sourdough is 75% hydration - > 3/7 of the weight of the sourdough is water, 4/7 is flour. This results in a hydration of 69%. Dough was easy enough to handle.

Mixed all sourdough with all water and the yeast and honey. Let that ferment for couple of hours. Than I got a call from a friend, inviting me over for dinner. Put the mixture in the refridgerator, until the next morning. Then I mixed in the remaining flour. Put it back in the refridgerator.
Then I took it out in the afternoon. When it had risen I divided it into two balls and put them into oiled containers.
When that had doubled I opened the dough and baked my pizza's;

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 12:57:11 PM »
WOW! Very nice pie. I am envious :chef:

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles