Author Topic: Our New Menu  (Read 1278 times)

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Our New Menu
« on: April 24, 2013, 06:20:59 PM »
The Granville Visual Arts Academy worked with some at risk kids in our high school and came up with this menu.  I think they did a great job.  Now I have something decent to hand out.  Soon I will also have business cards :)  Walter

Offline jeffereynelson

Re: Our New Menu
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 08:26:16 PM »
Very nice. Seems like your program is really coming along. The prices on those baguettes also seem very reasonable. Also if these haven't been printed I always like using an area code, you never know who might end up calling you for orders or interviews. And to be a bit nit picky, I'd put a comma after cookies.  ;D

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 10:07:42 PM »
I know what type of pizza you are making there Walter and at the price of just 7 bucks a pie all I can say is there are some very lucky folks living in that area. Just amazing man!  :chef: 

And that menu is very sharp.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 07:28:35 PM »
thanks guys for taking the time to look it over.  We fixed the typos and it is going to press.   Walter

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 12:30:46 AM »
Very nice Walter! A great program you've got going there!
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 04:33:04 PM »
I don't suppose you do mail order on the dog biscuits?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 06:09:16 PM »
thanks and yes we do mail orders around the USA on the dog biscuits but man is it expensive.  They sell for $3 a bag locally but we would have to charge another $5 to ship them.   If you are interested let me know. 

Here are some pictures from an event we catered today for the swearing in of Judge Baldwin. He is a graduate of our high school and wanted to have his swearing in ceremony here.  The judge and his wife spent a 1/2 hour in our room yesterday talking with my students and gave us a load of WHITS Frozen Custard.  It is real deal custard and we made them 3 of our pies.  Today they told us they were the best pizzas they have tasted in Ohio. 

This event was a big affair with close to 2,000 people in attendance including OH supreme court judges.  We had to pass through 2 explosive sniffing dogs to set up.  The dogs loved smelling the treats we made - blueberry/strawberry/lemon/ cheese danish bread, and brownies.  Later in the day we did cookies for the prom and stromboli's for the ROTC program.  It has been a busy week but my students pulled it all off.  Walter
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 06:25:03 PM by waltertore »

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 07:31:15 PM »
Tell the students I said good show.  Everything looks stellar. :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 12:33:38 PM »
Tell the students I said good show.  Everything looks stellar. :chef:

I will jetdeck.   They are getting a lot of press lately.  My hope is others will see that special needs students can do meaningful work in our culture. My program is the only one of its kind in the country so I need to promote it so others can experience it.   Unfortunately our lawmakers are continuing to make beleive my students will magically catch up and go to college someday if we just keep hammering abstract academics at them. The ongoing results over the past 12 years of this no child left behind mandate is upwards of a 100% unemployment rate for my population.  The dismantiling of vocational training shops in high schools, and for my group, a departure from functional academics/lifeskills/vocational skills training to sit in your seat abstract academics taught at 8-12 grade levls below the students actual grade level is the result and this approach is on the increase.  You would think they would look at the historical data on disabilities and learn what works and what doesn't and then base programs around that.  Instead we do what makes us feel most comfortable and ignore the results.  My students have been operating at the 1-3rd grade levels in academics/functional skills since the 3rd grade and from k-grade 9 all they have had is  full time academic remediation.  If one looks at the medical and educational research it  overwhelmingly shows they will never move significantly beyond these levels/will never be competitive in academic based professions.  When I encounter people who are hellbent on seeing them continue with this approach I give this scenario.  Imagine if the average person in our world was of Einstien's IQ.  Where would we fit in this world with the current intellegence level that is the norm today?  We would not even qualify for an entry level job, and would experience failure our entire lives.  Most in education don't want to face this. It shames them.  Yet my students feel no shame  until we push our reality of education and academic future on them.  They they get very sad.  It is a very sad  statement to our way of dealing with a condition that can't be fixed and I see the keepers of education as mentally deficient.   Walter
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 08:52:27 PM by waltertore »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 07:46:04 PM »
You have a lot of heart Walter and I greatly admire you and what you are trying to do for those kids. God bless you man!  8)

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 09:09:46 PM »
thanks Bob!  I figure we only live one life and to do work with those that are disadvantaged is a natural calling for me.  It is great serving/making/selling food.  It brings people to us and because the quality of food here is so bad we shine easily.    It has brought people from all walks of life to our program that would never have come without the bakery/pizzeria.  When you feed people good food it opens their hearts in ways they wouldn't without it.  I have landed in quite a cool space.   Walter

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 11:34:29 AM »
Walter,

I just sent you a small donation. Please know how much your efforts are inspiring me in my daily life!

God Bless you and your students!!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 04:31:07 PM »
Walter,

I just sent you a small donation. Please know how much your efforts are inspiring me in my daily life!

God Bless you and your students!!

John K

Thanks John!  My students and I appreciate your kindness.  walter