Author Topic: 10% - 10.5% Flour questions  (Read 758 times)

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
10% - 10.5% Flour questions
« on: January 22, 2016, 02:04:44 PM »
I was in Costco yesterday and could not resist picking up some central milling organic all purpose flour - 20 pounds for $13.  It is identical their flour called "Beehive" http://centralmilling.com/products/beehive-malted-all-purpose-flour which is malted and made from hard red winter wheat.

The protein % is 10 - 10.5%

I have never made pizza with a protein content below 11%, most typically between 11.7% (KAAP) and 12.7% (KAAP).

My understanding, from all that I have read here and I have experienced is that the higher the protein, the more chew, the higher possible hydration, the shorter the mix and the greater the risk of being tough if not mixed/fermented right. If you think differently, let me know.

Having said that, I do not know what to expect if I use this flour for pizza.  Will it be so much less chewy that it will be crappy?  Will it be harder to mix, manage, stretch, etc.?

I can always use it for lots of other things like muffins, cookies, some breads.  The website says you can make killer baguettes with it.  And, I can blend it with other flours.  So, I can certainly skip it for pizza.

But, I am very unclear as to what to expect that will be different/worse/better and, before I start fooling around with it, I thought to ask you folks about your experiences here.

Thanks.

Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Online tinroofrusted

• Experimenting....
Re: 10% - 10.5% Flour questions
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 03:19:58 PM »
I got a sample of different Central Milling flours a couple of years ago and found all of them to be excellent for pizza. I don't think you can go wrong with their flours. I'd use their flour all the time if I could get it.  It might have a bit less chew that some of our higher protein flours but it should very tasty.  Member bakeshack uses Central Milling flours and his pizzas and breads are to die for.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=36338.msg361729#msg361729

Online TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 03:23:16 PM »
I'm curious how it works unblended for NP. They generally have it at my Costco as well. If I had to guess, I think it will work well.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Dippenwood

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 01:05:32 AM »
Mitch, do tell... How did this flour work out? I have some farro 10.7% I've been wanting to try.

Offline Dippenwood

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 01:07:55 AM »
...can different protein contents be managed by yeast percentages?

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 09:53:07 AM »
Mitch, do tell... How did this flour work out? I have some farro 10.7% I've been wanting to try.

I have not tried it for pizza yet.  Works great for muffins and cookies, etc.    I am dabbling with it for bread right now.

I do not think yeast adjustments matter. Hydration does/can - less protein, less water. 
Mitch

Offline invertedisdead

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 01:01:07 PM »
I made a lot of pizzas when I had this flour. I like a bit more chew with NY style but for other styles or as a blend you can't beat it for organic.
Ryan

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 02:09:51 PM »
I made a lot of pizzas when I had this flour. I like a bit more chew with NY style but for other styles or as a blend you can't beat it for organic.

That is what i was thinking was likely.  I wrote a note to Central Milling when I bought the flour to ask them about suitability for pizza.  They did not respond with a flat "no" but they suggested that I use flour like their Artisan Bakers Craft @ 11.5% and anything above that.
Mitch

wordpress