Author Topic: Tony Gemignani Dough recipes in Pizza Today  (Read 4595 times)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Tony Gemignani Dough recipes in Pizza Today
« on: April 24, 2013, 07:21:33 PM »
In the March 2013, issue of Pizza Today magazine, page 22, Tony Gemignani shares two dough recipes that he gives his students on the first day of instruction at his International School of Pizza in San Francisco. What i liked about the article is that he makes note of the fact that: There is no magic recipe that exists that never needs to be changed. There is more discussion in the article about the subject, but I think it is a good thing to note when viewing recipes on this forum. An original "authentic" (Your Town) pizza recipe that you like to make, might need to be changed a bit to work in another part of the country. Heat, humidity, cold, elevation, water, and even the placement of your mixer in your kitchen can affect the making of dough. Just something to keep in mind when discussing your favorite recipe on the forum and someone needs to change it a little.

Here is what Tony Gemignani lists as the two dough recipes:

Standard Classic America

High Gluten/ High protein flour
100 percent flour
58-60 percent hydration
2 percent sea salt
1 percent oil
1 percent malt/sugar
.50-1 percent yeast

Standard Classic Italian

1 liter water
1.8 kilograms flour
50 grams sea salt
50 grams oil
3 grams malt/sugar
2-10 grams yeast

« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 12:41:05 AM by TomN »

Offline Marvin

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Tony Gemignani Dough recipes in Pizza Today
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 10:04:36 PM »
what is the malt/sugar?
marvin

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 12:17:45 AM »
Marvin,

i am posting what was listed in the article. I am guessing you choose either malt or sugar?

TomN
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 12:59:58 PM by TomN »

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 08:22:22 AM »
Marvin,

i am posting what listed in the article. i am guessing you choose either malt or sugar?

TomN

I'm sure that is correct.

Marvin, if you're asking what malt is, it's basically a sugar syrup or dry sugar powder made from sprouted grain. My local grocery store carries it by the corn syrup and molasses. If you don't find it there and want to try it, you can probably find it a health food stores.

Unlike regular sugar which is mostly sucrose, malt extract is mostly a combination of glucose, maltose, and other higher sugars. It also has some enzymes that will break down protein in flour into substances the yeast can use.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 11:17:40 AM »
what is the malt/sugar?
marvin

My understanding is that Tony uses malt as his sweetener choice. Same malt powder that you can use to make malted milk shakes.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 03:37:17 PM »
The "Standard Classic America" dough conforms to Lehmann's parameters for NY dough.  A rose by any other name... 
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 05:00:09 PM »
I buy malted barley syrup at a brewer's supply store, use it in bagels and english muffins, haven't used it in pizza dough yet, but have had it in the "to try" list. The syrup i buy is very thick, probably even thicker than molasses. It comes in a rather large plastic bag, I just keep it well sealed and refrigerated to store.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 05:35:25 PM »
I get mine at the local health food coop, or whole foods....
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 06:47:40 PM »
I have the same product as Mmmph.

Nondiastatic malt can be a bit tricky. There are two forms--dry and liquid. I have not tried the dried form but I have tried the liquid form and, if too much is used, the crust and crumb can develop a light tan color that is not emblematic of the NY style. Also, when using the liquid form, and especially in large amounts, one may find it necessary to adjust the formula hydration to compensate for the water content of the liquid barley malt syrup. There is also the question of how much of the liquid barley malt to use when substituting it for ordinary sugar. I discussed some of the above points in Reply 24 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17249.msg171928/topicseen.html#msg171928 and at Reply 42 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11832.msg116980/topicseen.html#msg116980. For a retail source of the dry nondiastatic barley malt, see the King Arthur product at http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/non-diastatic-malt-powder-16-oz. For another possible source at the retail level, see http://www.shopchefrubber.com/Barley-Malt-Powder-Light-500g-1.1-lb./. I'm sure that there are other sources but perhaps not a great number at the retail level. No doubt it is the dry form of nondiastatic malt that Tony G has in mind.

Many people do not know that at one time Sbarro used barley malt for its NY style pizzas. I remember asking member RoadPizza about such use inasmuch as he manages several Sbarro stores in the Philippines. His response was interesting. He said that using dry malt in his stores was not practical because it would turn rock hard on the roughly one-month trip from the U.S. to the Philippines. He then added that even if he could use barley malt, it could not be used in the Philippines because it is an ingredient that can be used to make alcoholic beverages, which are forbidden in the Philippines (as an Islamic country).

For those who are interested in using the barley malt syrup, I will mention that the expanded dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html has an entry for that product.

For those who hunger for more information about malt, see the article at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8308.msg71658/topicseen.html#msg71658.

Peter
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 07:16:48 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Marvin

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 04:05:06 PM »
thanks wasn't sure
now I know
marvin

Offline jkb

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 03:52:08 AM »
I buy malted barley syrup at a brewer's supply store, use it in bagels and english muffins, haven't used it in pizza dough yet, but have had it in the "to try" list. The syrup i buy is very thick, probably even thicker than molasses. It comes in a rather large plastic bag, I just keep it well sealed and refrigerated to store.

You can get malt syrup at Honest Weight.  Bring an empty jar with you and they will tare it for you when you walk in.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 04:11:42 PM »
You can get malt syrup at Honest Weight.  Bring an empty jar with you and they will tare it for you when you walk in.

Very ironic you should mention Honest Weight! I worked at that location (484 Central Ave., Albany, NY) years ago as a teenager, at that time it was a grocery store called the Grand Cash.

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 12:01:27 AM »
...Heat, humidity, cold, elevation, water, and even the placement of your mixer in your kitchen can affect the making of dough. Just something to keep in mind when discussing your favorite recipe on the forum and someone needs to change it a little.

While I have heard this before, can you elaborate or put these variables on a "slider" representation for easy reference? By slider, I mean something like this...

Oven Temperatures - The higher the heat, the faster the bake, the softer the resulting crumb(I'm certain there are more)

How about the following...

Fermenting temperatures - The warmer, the...? The colder, the...?
Humidity - The higher the humidity, the...? The lower the humidity, the...?
Elevation -
Water -
Placement of the mixer in the kitchen -

It'd be nice if these variables could be referenced in this way.  :)