Author Topic: Pizzarium style with remilled semolina flour  (Read 3148 times)

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Pizzarium style with remilled semolina flour
« on: April 25, 2013, 09:45:12 PM »
This pizza was made with Cavalier Giuseppe Cocco semolina rimacinata di grano duro (remilled, fine semolina flour). It's much paler than Divella's semolina flour, as you can make out from the first picture below.

HR 80%, hand mixed, 24 hour rest in the fridge.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:47:27 PM by Johnny the Gent »
Il miglior fabbro

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Pizzarium style with remilled semolina flour
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 08:23:00 AM »
I continue to be astounded by your production. What is the thickness factor here? IDY level?

John

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 10:56:37 AM »
John,

The TF for this pie was somewhere between .135-.138.  IDY .4% (it's gotten cooler lately). Here's a blurry undercarriage shot:
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 09:46:22 AM »
Here's some pics of this morning's breakfast  :D

This dough, made with 100% semola rimacinata was in the fridge for 24 hours. You can see some pics of the dough from the mixing to balling stage in this post here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,24649.40.html, starting on Reply# 54.

It was left out of the fridge for approx 1 1/2 hour prior to baking, until it warmed to room temperature.  It parbaked on the bottom rack at 300 degrees celsius with only sauce & EVOO for about 10 minutes, then I piled on the toppings ;D:  Cubed whole milk mozzarella, sliced red and green chilli peppers, sliced onions, and some homemade spicy italian sausage that I made yesterday evening -http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25272.0.html

This pie came out really good, the cream colored crust had great flavor and a nice bite to it - the bottom was nice and crunchy.  And the peppers were fiery hot >:D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 09:59:50 AM by Johnny the Gent »
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Bende

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 09:09:31 PM »
Beautiful pies Johnny.  Are you using olive oil on the pans?

Ben

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 09:58:41 PM »
Thanks Bende. Yes, I used EVOO on the pans.

J
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 05:51:19 AM »
Here's a first attempt at mixing 45% semolina flour with 55% 00 flour. Hydration much lower than usual at 70%.  2% oil and .7% CY. This was supposed to be a same day, +/- 10 hour room temp rise dough, but 2 hours into the rise I put it in the fridge where it stayed for the next 34 hours.

Despite a much lower HR%, this dough was still very sticky. I lost a lot of the gas inside the dough when turning it out from the plastic bowl because it stuck a lot to the surface... Sure wish I had a camera close by to snap a pic of the gluten webbing.

Half was topped with : italalian sausage, red tabasco peppers, whole milk mozz, quail eggs,  green bell peppers, red onion, button mushrooms
and the other half:      diced bacon, jalapeno peppers, whole milk mozz, quail eggs,  jalapeno peppers, green bell peppers, red onion, button mushrooms

The dough was not as light and airy as I'd like, but had good flavor and was crunchy on the bottom.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 07:41:44 PM »
5 day refridgerated rise (the first 48 hours consisted of a refridgerated poolish). I used La Molisana Semola di grano duro rimacinata for this pie. 80% hydration rate, no oil.  More info re: the formula can be seen here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,24649.80.html , starting on Reply # 84 - yes this dough was intended to be a bread dough.

To say I was pleased with the final result (super open, airy crumb), especially considering I was using remilled semolina flour, would be an understatement.  I picked up some more of this semolina flour today, and will definitely have to repeat this formula, the poolish and multiday fermentation  produced in my opinion a noteworthy pie! Pics:
Il miglior fabbro

Offline derricktung

• Za Pi - Creating Neapolitan Style Pizza, One Dough at a Time
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 09:18:14 AM »
You've got some spectacular looking pizzas there!  I'm heading to Rome in a few weeks, and hopefully will get a chance to try the Pizzarium pies to really understand the hype...

How close is your dough to what they're serving, in your opinion?
Check out our new venture - Za Pi - www.za314.com

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 10:47:56 AM »
Johnny the Gent, your latest creations are amazing. I think you are right up there with Bonci at this point. Fantastic crumb and really great toppings.  Well done! 

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 11:46:40 PM »
You've got some spectacular looking pizzas there!  I'm heading to Rome in a few weeks, and hopefully will get a chance to try the Pizzarium pies to really understand the hype...

How close is your dough to what they're serving, in your opinion?

Thank you for the compliment derrick! Enjoy your trip to Rome - and let us know what you thought of Pizzarium.  I myself would like to experience first hand Bonci's creations.  I've learned alot from interacting with the members of the Pizzarium group on Facebook, as well as watching Bonci's videos.

The dough(s) I came up with in this thread are in some aspects similar to Pizzarium's dough, but still very different. My dough is what I'd call Pizzarium inspired; I incorporated some of Bonci's formula and technique but with my own adaptations. For example - all the pies in this thread are made with 100% remilled semolina flour (with the exception of one - which was mixed with 00 flour). I also use less oil than Bonci's formula. Also, due to certain limitations (flour selection being a major one), I've had to adapt my tecnnique in order to achieve the same aesthetic results. So, while some of my pies may appear to be similar, I'm sure they are quite different in taste and texture than Bonci's creations - and I'm OK with that ;)
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 11:57:45 PM »
Johnny the Gent, your latest creations are amazing. I think you are right up there with Bonci at this point. Fantastic crumb and really great toppings.  Well done!

Wow -thanks for the kind words, tinroofrusted! Learning a little more with each bake, and having fun at the same time ;)
Il miglior fabbro

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 12:03:05 AM »
I don't know how I've missed this thread up till now. I think I'm in love.  ;D

"diced bacon, jalapeno peppers, whole milk mozz, quail eggs,  jalapeno peppers, green bell peppers, red onion, button mushrooms" ...  OMG ...
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 10:30:55 AM »
You are a madman, Johnny. You seem to excel at all styles of everything culinary that you do. Your friends/family are lucky to have you as a chef, and we here at pm.com are lucky to have you as a colleague!

John K

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 08:09:24 AM »
 John, I never thought being considered a madman could be a good thing ;) Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate it. I enjoy how our pm.com forum has this off-topics non pizza section - it really does keep the forum lively as well as diversified. So a special thanks to Steve, Petezza, Bill and all involved in keeping pm.com up and running!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 08:10:03 AM »
I don't know how I've missed this thread up till now. I think I'm in love.  ;D

"diced bacon, jalapeno peppers, whole milk mozz, quail eggs,  jalapeno peppers, green bell peppers, red onion, button mushrooms" ...  OMG ...

One of those "pile it on" moments  ;) 
Il miglior fabbro

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 05:56:23 AM »
The idea of ​​creating this kind of dough with semolina is interesting, I will definitely try.

Offline giulio.fabris

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 04:51:49 AM »
Il miglior fabbro

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 01:14:00 PM »
Thank you; yes, it's a bit less than 80%.

pizzapan