Author Topic: Ischia starter--what do you do between bakes?  (Read 490 times)

Offline Reep

Ischia starter--what do you do between bakes?
« on: April 26, 2013, 05:57:37 PM »
I'm bulk proofing my first Ischia dough (based on Craig's methods and ratios).  But, doing the culture activation, and then the culture proofing after being in the refrigerator was kind of a pain (mainly inconvenient timing).  I'm curious what you all do with your Ischia between bakes.

I'm to busy to bake as often as I like, but usually bake every second weekend (pizza on Saturday, sourdough bread on Sunday), with an extra bake tossed in every once in a while.  Is it best to just keep the Ischia active at room temp, or is there something better about storing it in the fridge and then reactivating? 

If I keep it at room temp, how often do you feed it and what happens if you miss a day or two?

Rich

BTW, I have to say that this (pizza on the WFO) is much more fun that I even anticipated.  Thanks to everyone here for their help. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 06:05:08 PM by Reep »

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Ischia starter--what do you do between bakes?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 06:10:02 PM »
I keep a back-up in the fridge, but my main culture lives on the counter. I feed it every 5 days or so, but it can go a week. The one in the fridge can go for 6 months, but I feed it every 4 or so. The one on the counter has been there for more than a year now. If anything happens to it, it only takes a couple days for the one in the fridge to get fully active.

To feed the one on the counter, I add enough water to get it pretty thin - about the consistency of buttermilk - maybe a touch thinker than that. I discard 3/4 of it and then add enough flour to the remainder to get it thicker than a thick batter - not dough like, but not really pourable.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Reep

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 06:23:25 PM »
Perfect, thanks for the response.  When you keep the room temp one active, do you do anything before you use it?  Like hyperactivate it by feeding it 2-4 hours before use?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 07:09:24 PM »
Perfect, thanks for the response.  When you keep the room temp one active, do you do anything before you use it?  Like hyperactivate it by feeding it 2-4 hours before use?

Generally I feed the same way about 12 hours before using. When you feed before using is less important than that you do it the same way every time so you have some predictability in it'as level of activity.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

pizzapan