Author Topic: My Pizzas for the Night  (Read 2668 times)

Offline barkonbutts

• Nothing Like Fresh Pizza
My Pizzas for the Night
« on: April 26, 2013, 07:41:22 PM »
After reading and thinking I figured I would give it a try and see how a long rise on the dough would go... I generally have used like a 2.25 t of yeast. Cut it down to 1t of yeast per dough ball and see how things go.  I have to say all in all it went well.  I still want to get those big ol pockets of air in the crust.. Not sure who that happens.. maybe I need a High Gluten flour.  I used all purpose cause that is what I had on hand...

Cooked at 500* on a stone at bottom of oven.

Flavor was a bit better on the long rise.  Will keep doing this. So here they are.  thanks for looking.  Made some fresh italian sausage and put some Mad Hunky Pizza shake on the crust. One deluxe and one 1/2 pep and cheese.

Maken Pizza For Enjoyment at Home!!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: My Pizzas for the Night
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 07:51:15 PM »
barkonbutts , try a search on "oven spring" or "airy cornice" or open crust. From my understanding there are a lot of variables to achieve a nice open airy cornice or crust. I think 2 biggies are oven temp and hydration %. Your pies look good, the crust is not airy however, buy I bet it tastes great.
I love the challenge of trying to make it just the way you want it. This forum is a great place for answers and many ideas.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 09:09:48 PM »
b.o.b.'s,
How long is a "long rise" in this instance. What was the dough weight/pizza size. What is the highest hydration dough you have worked with so far?

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline barkonbutts

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 07:58:18 AM »
b.o.b.'s,
How long is a "long rise" in this instance. What was the dough weight/pizza size. What is the highest hydration dough you have worked with so far?

Bob

To be honest I could not even tell you those %.... this is going to sound like an amateur... but I have never weighed anything... have gone by feel....  I have worked with both wet and dry dough ball though...

This time I made the dough on Wednesday night at 7 pm and took out of the frig at 3:30 on Friday for a 5:30 cook.

For the dough I use the following...

2.25 cups of flour
teaspoon of salt
Tablespoon Sugar
teaspoon EVOO
teaspoon IDY

makes about a 14 inch pizza.

that is what I have going on....

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 10:34:12 AM »
As others here, I now weigh my ingredients, I weigh everything, others only weigh flour and water. You emitted the water from your recipe, I assume because, A. You didn't use any  :o . B. you didn't measure  ::) , more likely. It will be helpful to you to know the amounts you use. Yes, you can make a good crust without measuring, but we can help more if you do and you can better adjust to achieve your ideal crust if you do, IMHO.

Mark

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 12:07:27 PM »
To be honest I could not even tell you those %.... this is going to sound like an amateur... but I have never weighed anything... have gone by feel....  I have worked with both wet and dry dough ball though...

This time I made the dough on Wednesday night at 7 pm and took out of the frig at 3:30 on Friday for a 5:30 cook.

For the dough I use the following...

2.25 cups of flour
teaspoon of salt
Tablespoon Sugar
teaspoon EVOO
teaspoon IDY

makes about a 14 inch pizza.

that is what I have going on....
I would love to help you but I can't give you reliable data using volume measuring, sorry.  :chef:

Offline barkonbutts

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 10:09:37 AM »
As others here, I now weigh my ingredients, I weigh everything, others only weigh flour and water. You emitted the water from your recipe, I assume because, A. You didn't use any  :o . B. you didn't measure  ::) , more likely. It will be helpful to you to know the amounts you use. Yes, you can make a good crust without measuring, but we can help more if you do and you can better adjust to achieve your ideal crust if you do, IMHO.

Mark

opps omitted water... used about a 3/4 of a cup...

okay i have a scale I will get it out and use it.... and get some "good" flour.... We will see what this weeks look like...

Dont get me wrong... the flavor of the pizza and dough are great... just do not get the "spring" in the dough that I would like.... Off to the grocery store to find some flour...

Will measure and get back with you all!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 11:13:11 AM »
opps omitted water... used about a 3/4 of a cup...

okay i have a scale I will get it out and use it.... and get some "good" flour.... We will see what this weeks look like...

Dont get me wrong... the flavor of the pizza and dough are great... just do not get the "spring" in the dough that I would like.... Off to the grocery store to find some flour...

Will measure and get back with you all!

Another convert!!!!!!! In the making.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 12:20:03 PM »
Another convert!!!!!!! In the making.
Yep...it's creeping into his veins....I can tell.  >:D

barkonbutts, please give this your consideration....http://www.kingarthurflour.com/professional/bakers-percentage.html
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 12:38:03 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 12:30:04 PM »
Yep...it's creeping into his veins....I can tell.  >:D

barkonbutts, please give this your consideration....http://www.kingarthurflour.com/professional/bakers-percentage.html

Bob, the link you posted is for a file residing on your personal computer. No one else can access it.    Here is a nice, easy to read article from King Arthur: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/professional/bakers-percentage.html

edit: lol, you fixed it while I was typing, good job, Bob!

I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline barkonbutts

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 04:18:10 PM »
Okay I lied... was going to get to the store.. was going to get the HGF...was going to weigh things out... then life got in the way.... kids get sick...meetings get scheduled wife has to work late... so maybe next week we will give it a shot.... this week just upped the water in the dough and will see what happens...  :(  ::)  ;D  hey it is fresh home made pizza... yet to find one I have not enjoyed eating.. :drool:

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 04:52:19 PM »
Okay I lied... was going to get to the store.. was going to get the HGF...was going to weigh things out... then life got in the way.... kids get sick...meetings get scheduled wife has to work late... so maybe next week we will give it a shot.... this week just upped the water in the dough and will see what happens...  :(  ::)  ;D  hey it is fresh home made pizza... yet to find one I have not enjoyed eating.. :drool:
You'll get to it barkonbutts. Hope your next higher hydration pie turns out great for you! 
  Please post a pic when you can.... :chef:

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 09:45:32 PM »
Bark,

Definitely go with a bread flour next time.  Get some King Arthur or GM better for bread if you can.  Start with 60% hydration and go from there.  24 cold rise is good, 48hrs is excellent flavor.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline barkonbutts

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 08:23:47 PM »
Okay much happier tonight.... upped the water and added a 1/2 teaspoon IDY...48 hr cold rise...

So here are the pies tonight....

Did one for the kids and one for me... pulled pork with alabama white sauce and mushrooms and onions and bbq sauce on top!

Crust was lighter and airier...nice spring...made the crust a bit bigger this time...

okay if all goes well I will make it to the grocery store and get what I need... uggg...

extra H20 seemed to help...

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 08:40:21 PM »
Yeller pie!  :drool:

Offline barkonbutts

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 08:08:24 AM »
So I have to say I was skeptical about the difference using HGF would make in the dough... used King Aurther bread flour last night and all I can say is wow what a difference.. the wife said keep using that stuff....dough was light and fluffy and great taste!!  Sorry no pics.. not I just need to start weighing things out for you all... maybe this week...

Thanks for the suggestions!!

pizzapan