Author Topic: Garlic Knots  (Read 18893 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Garlic Knots
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 08:14:55 AM »
Thanks Ronzo!
Go for it ! Hey why knot? Lets see those bad boys! I used the Bill /SFNM pizza cutter method to not squish the dough to much. Cut and knot, proof and bake.
Very simple, and traste great too! leftoverers for lunch today!
John
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 11:45:22 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 09:37:15 AM »
I used the steve pizza cutter method to not squish the dough to much.

John,

I believe you meant Bill/SFNM, not Steve.

Peter

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 11:47:51 AM »
OOPS :-[
you are right again Peter. Both ledgends in my mind. I corrected both posts but they were still good!
John

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2009, 01:16:51 PM »
John, After seeing yours on the last page I say you have it dead right. Great color btw.

The best garlic rolls/knots I've had were actually in Miami, many transplanted Italian New Yorkers there. Only difference is they would take the hot rolls, throw them in a white foil lined 'to go' bag, then ladle some like mixture in with a healthy pinch of cheese and herbs. Fast shake, out the door. The question is what exactly was that mixture. I'm going to try your ingredients and see, but it sounds really close, so thanks.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 01:30:06 PM by NY pizzastriver »
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2009, 09:50:04 AM »
John, After seeing yours on the last page I say you have it dead right. Great color btw.

The best garlic rolls/knots I've had were actually in Miami, many transplanted Italian New Yorkers there. Only difference is they would take the hot rolls, throw them in a white foil lined 'to go' bag, then ladle some like mixture in with a healthy pinch of cheese and herbs. Fast shake, out the door. The question is what exactly was that mixture. I'm going to try your ingredients and see, but it sounds really close, so thanks.

I'll make a guess for you to try out - Orville Redenbachers butter (flavored?) oil, parmesan, garlic powder, Italian seasoning herbs......

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2009, 10:39:29 AM »
Sounds Like a winner Pizzoid
JC

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2009, 08:18:22 AM »
Hey John,

those garlic knots look amazing, just amazing.  I just showed my wife the pictures.  wow.

I was looking at your knots, something tells me you are a professional or something, they look too perfect !  >:D

Bill's look amazing also, I'm glad he included the beginning steps, as it gives me a good starting point.  Thanks to you Bill
for sharing your technique and photos with us, it's greatly appreciated.
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2009, 03:30:58 PM »
Thank you Canadian Bacon
I appreciate the kind words but I am so far from professional its not funny. I am in the construction / heavy highway business (Hence the oven build) theres really no chef here, although I do have the jacket and funny hat :chef: (for kicks only) just a love of cooking I guess.  Its monkey see money do and if it does not come out right do again! I simply read bill/sfnm posts and went at it. He is one of the true  pro's on this forum just look at his wonderful foods he puts up and so much more than pizza. I am a wanna be. But we all love pizza!
So you gotta try to make the knots now too? I will gladly help anyone with whatever little I can.
John

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2009, 02:21:51 AM »
I simply read bill/sfnm posts and went at it. He is one of the true  pro's on this forum just look at his wonderful foods he puts up and so much more than pizza. I am a wanna be. But we all love pizza!

John,

Thanks for your kind words here and elsewhere. For the record, I am NOT a "pro" - never have been, never will be. Just a guy who loves to cook - especially pizza!

Bill/SFNM

Offline AustinSpartan

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 08:37:13 AM »
Can someone please provide a fail-proof garlic knot recipe with comprehensive steps? I attempted to make the knots over Thanksgiving, but they didn't turn out nearly as beautiful as the ones here. Hoping with a little more direction, I'll be able to pull of a delicious and aesthetically pleasing knot for Christmas eve. :P

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2010, 10:08:07 PM »
These sounded good, so I made a batch this weekend.  They came out OK, but I was hampered by not being in my own kitchen.  Next time, though.....

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 10:18:35 PM »
Can Bill or John possibly share the dough recipe used for these.  These knots look to die for.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 10:27:13 PM »
Can Bill or John possibly share the dough recipe used for these.  These knots look to die for.

Nate,

Did you see reply #8 in this thread. Regardless, I'd go with John's recipe. His look much better than mine.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2013, 04:40:46 PM »
Thanks bill.  I will try out your dough formulation and try out johns glazing method.

Nate

Offline pythonic

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2013, 02:16:33 PM »
Bill,

Did u cold/room ferment the dough for these?

Nate

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2013, 03:00:59 PM »
Bill,

Did u cold/room ferment the dough for these?

Nate

Bad news: I have little recollection of anything that happened 6 years ago.  ???
Good news: I never cold ferment. I'll only stick something in the refrigerator if it is done fermenting, but I'm not ready to shape it.

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2013, 10:24:28 PM »
Thank you Canadian Bacon
I appreciate the kind words but I am so far from professional its not funny. I am in the construction / heavy highway business (Hence the oven build) theres really no chef here, although I do have the jacket and funny hat :chef: (for kicks only) just a love of cooking I guess.  Its monkey see money do and if it does not come out right do again! I simply read bill/sfnm posts and went at it. He is one of the true  pro's on this forum just look at his wonderful foods he puts up and so much more than pizza. I am a wanna be. But we all love pizza!
So you gotta try to make the knots now too? I will gladly help anyone with whatever little I can.
John

Nice Pics John
I just bought a Grinder for the garlic and olive oil and  cheese on top
I have to get around doing the garlic knots one day soon.
I am sure it will be worth it instead of buying it local and saving lots of money since
it looks cheaper to make.....JT

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2013, 11:53:04 AM »
I had to try these out after seeing this thread. Made with butter (8%) and some dried minced garlic in the dough. Dusted with pecorino post-bake.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2013, 10:17:51 PM »
NOPE
I make 6 - 8  out of a small 11oz dough ball
Grind Good Olive oil and Garlic and little black pepper and onto hot knots(NO BUTTER}
Then add Romano cheese on knots while hot and let cool for 30 mins.......

Cannot beat these and better then spending money at a Italian place
that sell them......Didnot think they were as easy as they were............JT

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2013, 12:21:42 AM »
I will try to remember what recipe are you used? I know was a New York style from one pf the books I had back then. Also I rolled dough out to certainthickness and sliced the pieces, then tied the knots. Remember to leave a little more tail\ends than you think as they shrink up as they cook have fun!
John

pizzapan