Author Topic: White Lardo Pizza  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Nervous Eater

• I Love Pizza!
Re: White Lardo Pizza
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 03:07:58 PM »
Bill - Your lardo pizza is beyond words.  Stunning video, as well. Really enjoyed seeing your technique.

I'm wondering two things: 1) after curing the lardo, how did you go through it quickly enough before it spoiled?  Did you freeze a portion?  Wasn't sure if it holds up in the freezer.

and, 2) what meat slicer are you using?  I would love to buy one, but not quite sure what is best for home use.

Thank you in advance!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: White Lardo Pizza
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 03:22:43 PM »
Bill - Your lardo pizza is beyond words.  Stunning video, as well. Really enjoyed seeing your technique.

I'm wondering two things: 1) after curing the lardo, how did you go through it quickly enough before it spoiled?  Did you freeze a portion?  Wasn't sure if it holds up in the freezer.

and, 2) what meat slicer are you using?  I would love to buy one, but not quite sure what is best for home use.

Thank you in advance!

Thank you, Nervous Eater, for the kind words.

1) I divided the lardo up into 6 pieces - 5 went into the freezer, vacuum sealed, and wrapped in black foil. The 6th went into the fridge and didn't last long. What didn't get eaten right away was made into whipped lardo. IIRC the whipped lardo lasted for a few weeks and what was left was used to saute the best mushrooms I ever had on a pizza. I have used one of the frozen pieces and it seemed no different from the unfrozen piece. In general, fat freezes well for long periods. We'll see.

2) That is an old Italian OMRE Quickmill I picked up from a restaurant supply store in the 1980's. It works OK, but is pain to clean. I keep waiting for it to break so I can get a small Berkel commercial slicer, but it keep on chugging along.