Author Topic: Mobile friendly Lehmann dough calculator.  (Read 2032 times)

Offline dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Mobile friendly Lehmann dough calculator.
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 12:06:46 PM »
These were the use of baker's percents to do calculations and the use of the thickness factor concept (which Tom referred to as density loading--a term I decided not to use because it was so technical sounding).

I think I saw some of those posts when I was trying to wrap my head around thickness factor. :)

It looks like Tom uses cheese/dough/sauce density these days. It never occurred to me to use thickness factor for cheese and sauce. I like that. If I end up going with a bunch of little calculators I think there will be a generic Area + Weight -> Density/Area + Density -> Weight calculator.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2015, 01:52:52 PM »
David,

Over the years, Tom discussed the role of density loading factors for other than dough at the PMQ Think Tank. An example is his PMQTT post at http://thinktank.pmq.com/threads/cheese-weights-for-pizza.6169/#post-38621. In my reading over the years, I have sensed that most pizza operators have no idea as to these matters when they make different sizes of pizzas. And if they do not weigh ingredients, as when they free throw cheese and toppings, their numbers are all over the place.

Peter

Offline dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2015, 01:47:06 PM »
I really like the idea of using thickness factor for cheese and sauce so I think I'm going to move that to another calculator. I think the calculator with preferment support will probably look something like this:

Offline dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 09:25:23 PM »
Prototyped a calculator with preferment support:

http://dsissitka.webfactional.com/2/

It's worth mentioning that:

- Currently there are no safeguards to prevent you from entering values that don't make sense.
 - The percents are correct, but the overall weight is off by an amount equal the amount of flour and water in your preferment. I forgot to compensate for the preferment flour/water that's subtracted from the regular flour/water.  :-D

Offline dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 11:02:13 PM »
- The percents are correct, but the overall weight is off by an amount equal the amount of flour and water in your preferment. I forgot to compensate for the preferment flour/water that's subtracted from the regular flour/water.  :-D

That should be fixed now.