Author Topic: Restaurant selling their dough but not sauce.  (Read 1004 times)

Offline lmj007

Restaurant selling their dough but not sauce.
« on: April 21, 2013, 02:48:07 PM »
Hi All,

There are many pizza places that will sell you a few balls of their dough but I ave yet to find anyone who is willing to sell me their sauce. Just wondering if anyone knew why?

Online TXCraig1

Re: Restaurant selling their dough but not sauce.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 03:53:59 PM »
I can't think of a reason other than they might not make their own dough (plenty of places buy frozen dough balls) and have no personal attachment to it - On the other hand, if they make sauce from scratch, perhaps they think that is their secret?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 04:37:04 PM »
Hi All,

There are many pizza places that will sell you a few balls of their dough but I ave yet to find anyone who is willing to sell me their sauce. Just wondering if anyone knew why?
lmj007,

Maybe they make a finite amount of sauce based on their daily sales numbers and do not wish to run low. If they have a POS, it might be something as simple as not having a code for sales of sauce. That is a reason why some of the chains do not sell dough balls. They don't have a code for it.

You might ask sometime why they don't sell their sauce and see what they say.

Peter

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 04:50:50 PM »
Maybe they make a finite amount of sauce based on their daily sales numbers

And a freezer full of dough balls...
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 08:01:48 AM »
They probably think if they just sell you sauce youre not going to buy anymore pizza.
 Alot of places dont like selling their house dressing because you less likely to purchase a salad from them. So the only way you can get your sauce is if you buy a pizza. The only way you can get the salad dressing is if you buy a salad same thing.
Jamie

Offline TomN

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 12:22:07 PM »
I guess it depends on how much sauce you are trying to purchase. Try asking them if you can buy a cup of sauce to dip bread. Ususally, a medium size cup is enough to make a pizza at home.

Best to you.
TomN
PS
It is possible that their sauce might be made by a company like Stanislaus or Escalon and they don't really want the info to be public knowledge.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 12:35:38 PM »
I really believe it is as simple as "packaging". Most places don't really have anything to put it in except a drink to-go cup that has a hole/slit in the top to cover it with.... and it can be messy trying to fill that so it is much easier to just say "sorry, we don't do that"  :-\
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 12:37:29 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online patnugent

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 05:25:32 PM »
Maybe it's to close to selling a bake at home pie?  What's a pizza go for, $10-15?  Buy a dough for $3... a cup of sauce for $1 and then go back for some cheese for what? $4?  If you buying the dough to make pizza at home, you're already cutting into their bottom line, selling sauce and dough would be 2/3 of their pizza...

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 05:52:42 PM »
Maybe it's to close to selling a bake at home pie?  What's a pizza go for, $10-15?  Buy a dough for $3... a cup of sauce for $1 and then go back for some cheese for what? $4?  If you buying the dough to make pizza at home, you're already cutting into their bottom line, selling sauce and dough would be 2/3 of their pizza...
Then why sell the dough at all?
Can of grocery store pizza sauce...$1.50. Maybe?

It's the packaging bro, believe it. I've seen joints that would sell you Grandpa Luigi if they wouldn't have to wrap his old a#$ up first!   :'(

Offline TomN

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 07:43:56 PM »
Bob has a good point. Bring your own smaller container next time you want to purchase sauce, so there is not the issue of packaging. Also, be sure your buying a pizza, along with the sauce for your container. They probably will be more likely to sell sauce to you. The sauce will keep for a good week or more.

TomN

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 09:02:25 PM »
Bob has a good point. Bring your own smaller container next time you want to purchase sauce, so there is not the issue of packaging. Also, be sure your buying a pizza, along with the sauce for your container. They probably will be more likely to sell sauce to you. The sauce will keep for a good week or more.

TomN
+1 Tom....that is how I used to do it.  :chef:

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 05:09:23 PM »
It is possible that their sauce might be made by a company like Stanislaus or Escalon and they don't really want the info to be public knowledge.

You would be amazed how many shops use straight out of the can premade stuff.  No secret there :)
The Smiling With Hope Bakery- A bakery with a purpose
http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/20140124/NEWS01/301240031/Bakery-run-by-students-disabilities-earns-pizza-profile

Spontobeat- the spontaneous music concept I have created and how I spontaneously live my life   http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137 200 of my most current songs http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137&content=widgets

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 12:38:28 AM »
Another thing is most pizza place owners have figured out how much a dough ball costs them to produce - which right now is about 30-40 cents for an average large pizza so its easy to know what would be a fair price to charge. With sauce the price per pizza is a little mor challenging bc of the spices -salt is cheap - black pepper, romano are expensive. Also throw in the fact they dont know how much you want and because its an odd request they have no idea what to charge you for it.
  Im certain though if you buy a pizza and ask if you can buy a soup cup full of cold pizza sauce- make sure you say "COLD pizza sauce" because theyll try to give you maranara sauce for spaghetti if you dont make it clear you want PIZZA SAUCE theyll glady do it :)
Jamie

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 12:11:36 PM »
Another thing is most pizza place owners have figured out how much a dough ball costs them to produce - which right now is about 30-40 cents for an average large pizza so its easy to know what would be a fair price to charge. With sauce the price per pizza is a little mor challenging bc of the spices -salt is cheap - black pepper, romano are expensive. Also throw in the fact they dont know how much you want and because its an odd request they have no idea what to charge you for it.
  Im certain though if you buy a pizza and ask if you can buy a soup cup full of cold pizza sauce- make sure you say "COLD pizza sauce" because theyll try to give you maranara sauce for spaghetti if you dont make it clear you want PIZZA SAUCE theyll glady do it :)
Well, you probably do/would but that's because you are a nice pizzamaking.com person. :)

Believe me, most operators I know have never heard of this site(I'm always amazed at that ::)) and they would look at you like you are nuts if you asked about buying sauce to go. Oh sure, they are happy to charge you for an extra little condiment cup of marinara.  :-D