Author Topic: Who can relate?  (Read 784 times)

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Who can relate?
« on: April 28, 2013, 07:53:59 PM »
The party is in full swing, and you're "stuck" making pizza.

Ah, the sacrifice... ;D

Il miglior fabbro

Offline Chaze215

Re: Who can relate?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 08:05:01 PM »
  ^^^
Chaz

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 08:17:41 PM »
No, I can't relate.

Pizza making should be the center of the party, or why bother with homemade pizza unless you just like catering your own parties? If the party is in full swing and the pizza maker is not right in the center of it, you probably could have done a better job planning the party.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 08:29:03 PM »
No, I can't relate.

Pizza making should be the center of the party, or why bother with homemade pizza unless you just like catering your own parties? If the party is in full swing and the pizza maker is not right in the center of it, you probably could have done a better job planning the party.

My kitchen is not big enough to have the party come to me and me be in the center of it. Its not a planning problem, not a big enough kitchen is the problem.
Chaz

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 08:39:35 PM »
I am with Craig, if the party is home made pizza, then the party needs to be where the pizza is being made.  My kitchen isn't that big, and I don't have an island or bar there, but that is where the party is (used to be, now it is outside around the WFO).

The main thing is to have 100% of the prep done.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 08:43:34 PM »
Same here - unfortunately kitchen space at home is a limiting factor. 

I don't necessarily agree that my pizzamaking should be the center of the party. I simply view it as something that I love to share with those close to me - along with drinks, good conversation and a lot of laughs. Depending on the physical layout of the oven and prep table, this in relation to where the guests are concentrated, the distance obviously prevents one from being immersed in the middle. Example - at this party, which was an informal get together after my wedding, I arrived on site at a friend's house to see the prep table and oven far from where I'd ideally like them.  No big deal. In the end it all worked out. My goal was to introduce pizza in teglia made with a sourdough starter, along with some new ingredients (different that what my friends are accustomed to here in Brazil)- and it was a success!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 08:48:36 PM »
I can relate.  :-D Sometimes you're not in the position to have a centerpiece kitchen, & you wind up  racing back & forth between the cooking place & the gathering place.  If all goes well you get the adrenaline rush & the  food luv comes through!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 08:59:36 PM »
For any party at my house, I am most comfortable cooking. I guess I am not a BIG party person.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 09:02:02 PM »
Same here - unfortunately kitchen space at home is a limiting factor. 

I don't necessarily agree that my pizzamaking should be the center of the party. I simply view it as something that I love to share with those close to me - along with drinks, good conversation and a lot of laughs. Depending on the physical layout of the oven and prep table, this in relation to where the guests are concentrated, the distance obviously prevents one from being immersed in the middle. Example - at this party, which was an informal get together after my wedding, I arrived on site at a friend's house to see the prep table and oven far from where I'd ideally like them.  No big deal. In the end it all worked out. My goal was to introduce pizza in teglia made with a sourdough starter, along with some new ingredients (different that what my friends are accustomed to here in Brazil)- and it was a success!

I guess I don't understand what you're complaining about then?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 09:02:33 PM »
The adrenaline rush bit reminded me of an event I did a couple of months ago.

60 screaming, rowdy children, and 25 adults.  I had two ovens to work with, one for making NY style pies and another for sicilian style pies. From 18:00 to 22:00 it was nonstop - the adrenaline rush was strong, for sure!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 09:05:20 PM »
I guess I don't understand what you're complaining about then?

No complaining -  "stuck" making pizzas and "ah the sacrifice... ;D" were said tongue in cheek.
Il miglior fabbro

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 09:13:34 PM »
For any party at my house, I am most comfortable cooking. I guess I am not a BIG party person.

Mark
Yep, being behind the scene or off to the side, whatever, is fine with me. I get my buzz from seeing others having a good time and enjoying my food. Besides, there's always another idiot or 2 wanting to hang around by me an drink hard.  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 09:17:06 PM »
Besides, there's always another idiot or 2 wanting to hang around by me an drink hard.  ;D

I love those kind of people, lol

Il miglior fabbro

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 11:08:36 PM »
I can relate.

That's why when I redid my kitchen, I got rid of the wall between the kitchen and the living room. Now the kitchen, dining area, and living room are all one big space.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 11:28:29 PM »
Well im not sure if Im elligible to complain or if it makes any sense at all. My brother and I have been working for years making pizzas every night and every weekend, we always feel we are on the outside looking in at the party :'( so I definitly feel like i can relate.
Jamie

Online Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 10:56:08 AM »
I am so close to my guests that I have to be careful not to bonk them on the head with the handle of my peel! When you have the party coming to you its a lot easier. Sounds like JtG has to travel TO THE PARTY and "make due" with a variety of oven situations.

I can appreciate the "tongue in cheek" sentiment that he was trying to get across. Half the fun is the intensity that goes into planning, prepping, and heck, just THINKING about these pizza "happenings"! And it is funny when guests tell you they "can't believe how hard you are working!"

As if its really work.... And as if it could be any other way! :chef: :chef: :chef:

John K

PS That's a cool picture, Johnny!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 11:16:41 AM by Serpentelli »
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

pizzapan