Author Topic: Sourdough trouble  (Read 371 times)

Offline Harborganics

• Harborganics wood oven pizza trailer
Sourdough trouble
« on: October 19, 2015, 07:00:24 AM »
Hi all, after making sourdough margaritas for months with succes last weeks cook up was a disaster.
After rolling out the dough ball it completely fell apart when I picked it up, literally fell to bits...???
After phoning a friend he told me I over worked the mother and shouldn't feed it too much.
I thought I killed the mother and that would be the reason the dough isn't working..
I use graig's method when it comes to making the Neapolitan pizzas and it never failed on me.
 I have been feeding the mother few times a week but left it out the fridge, I now fed it normally and put it in the fridge. I will try a few balls this week to see if it came good again, fingers crossed as I have a wedding to cater and they expect my sourdough margaritas....
Any ideas on here on what may be the problem?
Cheers. Jack.
JACKO

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Sourdough trouble
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 08:41:51 AM »
You are only using 1-2% starter?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline mrmikemgm

• Lifetime Member
  • Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing!
    • Mr. Mike's BBQ Photos
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 09:24:58 AM »

Hi all, after making sourdough margaritas for months with succes last weeks cook up was a disaster.
After rolling out the dough ball it completely fell apart when I picked it up, literally fell to bits...???
After phoning a friend he told me I over worked the mother and shouldn't feed it too much.
I thought I killed the mother and that would be the reason the dough isn't working..
I use graig's method when it comes to making the Neapolitan pizzas and it never failed on me.
 I have been feeding the mother few times a week but left it out the fridge, I now fed it normally and put it in the fridge. I will try a few balls this week to see if it came good again, fingers crossed as I have a wedding to cater and they expect my sourdough margaritas....
Any ideas on here on what may be the problem?
Cheers. Jack.

Any chance it over proofed?  I've had leftover dough balls that didn't get used that got to that point from over proofing in the refrigerator.
Favorite Culinary Toys
Bread Stone Ovens SP1400BR
Fast Eddy's FEC-240
CookShack CB048 Charbroiler
PolyScience Sous Vide Professional
HotMix Pro Gastro & Thermomix TM31
Mecnosud IM8M

Featured at the Casa M Bar
Jack Daniel's "CynergisTek" Barrel Select
Russel's Reserve "CynergisTek" Private Selection

Offline Harborganics

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 05:33:26 PM »
You are only using 1-2% starter?
Hi Craig, yes I use you yours, 1.3%
The only advise I have ATM is from my mate.
According to him it is nearly impossible to kill the mother and I should just feed it ones a week and leave it in the fridge so I'm just hoping he is right.
I will make some dough again today to try how it holds up.
JACKO

Offline Harborganics

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 05:37:03 PM »
Any chance it over proofed?  I've had leftover dough balls that didn't get used that got to that point from over proofing in the refrigerator.
I really wouldn't know, I haven't changed anything in the process really, it has always been fine.
I still have a mother that has been in the fridge for 2-3 weeks so I took that out and fed it, waited for it to rise, which it did, and put it back in the fridge.
I am going to use that one today to see how that goes.
JACKO

Offline Harborganics

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 05:47:29 PM »
There has been a change in the weather over here though, during winter it has been good, even the bulk ferment went fine with temps just about right. I could let it ferment outside the fridge for 2 days around the 17-19 degr. Celsius. Spring has been very warm with temps of 30+ degr. Celsius.
It might have been to warm during the ferment stage... Could that affect it??
I haven't really kept an eye on the temps but it could have been warmer then 20 degr. Celsius in the room where I keep it to ferment.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 05:49:44 PM by Harborganics »
JACKO

Offline mrmikemgm

• Lifetime Member
  • Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing!
    • Mr. Mike's BBQ Photos
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 09:19:59 PM »

There has been a change in the weather over here though, during winter it has been good, even the bulk ferment went fine with temps just about right. I could let it ferment outside the fridge for 2 days around the 17-19 degr. Celsius. Spring has been very warm with temps of 30+ degr. Celsius.
It might have been to warm during the ferment stage... Could that affect it??
I haven't really kept an eye on the temps but it could have been warmer then 20 degr. Celsius in the room where I keep it to ferment.

That shift in temperature most definitely could be your culprit. I know Craig is FAR better versed in the pizza dough specifics, but from a pure bread baking perspective, I can tell you for sure I see substantial differences between 24C and 18C for pre-ferments as well as bulk ferments.
Favorite Culinary Toys
Bread Stone Ovens SP1400BR
Fast Eddy's FEC-240
CookShack CB048 Charbroiler
PolyScience Sous Vide Professional
HotMix Pro Gastro & Thermomix TM31
Mecnosud IM8M

Featured at the Casa M Bar
Jack Daniel's "CynergisTek" Barrel Select
Russel's Reserve "CynergisTek" Private Selection

Offline Harborganics

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 07:01:56 AM »
Cheers, I just made some dough so will keep an eye on the temp the next 24 hours, then ball it and give it another 24.
Thanks for that, if that is the problem then I keep it in the cool box from now on
JACKO