Author Topic: Italians too damned lazy to make pizza  (Read 2025 times)

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Italians too damned lazy to make pizza
« on: April 28, 2013, 11:51:55 PM »

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Italians too damned lazy to make pizza
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 12:36:52 AM »
"Long hours and low pay", the food industry, except at the higher levels, does include both. If you don't love the work, who will work 12-14 hr days, for relatively low wages.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 08:17:35 AM »
Egyptians.

Offline Jackitup

Shortage of pizza-makers as Italians are too proud
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 11:28:59 AM »
Here's a link to the article, sounds kind of sad, but the attitude of todays younger generation, at risk of sounding like my daddy here :P

jon

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/10023741/Shortage-of-pizza-makers-as-Italians-are-too-proud.html
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Re: Shortage of pizza-makers as Italians are too proud
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 10:45:27 PM »
Here's a link to the article, sounds kind of sad, but the attitude of todays younger generation, at risk of sounding like my daddy here :P

jon

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/10023741/Shortage-of-pizza-makers-as-Italians-are-too-proud.html

Don't know if it's fair to go after the younger generation....the welfare state has a corrupting influence on all ages..and I'm afraid it's coming soon to a neighborhood near you!!

John

Offline Jackitup

Re: Shortage of pizza-makers as Italians are too proud
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 11:24:09 PM »
Don't know if it's fair to go after the younger generation....the welfare state has a corrupting influence on all ages..and I'm afraid it's coming soon to a neighborhood near you!!

John

Tru Dat, see it alllllll the time ^^^

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 12:09:59 AM »
Just wondering, how many Italians, living in Italy, are members on this forum? Do any of them work as Pizzaioli? Do any of them need a job?

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 01:38:51 AM »
 "To make a good pizza, it needs to be crunchy but also digestible. Not everyone can do that, but the Egyptians can."

Seemed like an interesting quote.

Offline PetersPizza

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 04:49:08 PM »
I suspect they are referring to producing roman style pies in deck ovens not WFOs. 
"now run many of the pizza restaurants and hole-in-the-wall takeaways in big cities like Rome, Milan and Turin"

In Naples I believe they're fairly well paid and respected.

-Peter
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 05:03:21 PM by PetersPizza »

Offline Morgan

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 06:27:21 PM »
It seems that this is traveling all over the world, just read this news in Fin. I think this concerns more of the low-end take away pizzerias in Italy or thats just IMO.

Offline scottoant93

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 12:29:02 AM »
Lol I'm italian(born in Naples, Italy) I live in NC though, I'm learning to make pizza, I have no problem filling that job. I'm young(19) and I already work 72hrs/wk at a pizza shop

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 10:06:23 AM »
It seems that this is traveling all over the world, just read this news in Fin. I think this concerns more of the low-end take away pizzerias in Italy or thats just IMO.

I would agree. In Japan, we have some Napoletana Pizzerias that have Italians making the pizzas, but I know of NONE that have successfully hired a seasoned pizzaiolo to be in charge of the restaurant's pizza creating...NONE! If there were a country in the world that could afford to hire, keep and promote their real Napoli pizzaioli, it would be Japan. This is the only country where Sylvester Stalone could be seen in a ham commercial, Meg Ryan and Tommy Lee Jones in instant coffee commercials, and.. well I could go on and on. But LaSera can sell a pie for good money in the countryside, for a good profit that he'd like to keep secret. I would venture to say that if some AVPN place really wanted, they could easily afford to hire and pay top dollar(or should I say yen?) for a top pizzaiolo from Napoli. But hasn't happened, as far as I know.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 07:39:46 PM »
Tscarborough,

A very interesting article. Thanks for posting it. I talk with many Pizzeria owners that would get out of the business if they didn't have so much invested it. The long hours (living at the place), high food cost, employee theft, and competing with the $5.00 pizza around the corner or the gas station that is selling it by the slice can be very discouraging. However, I talk with those that are running very a profitable business as well. A lot of it is location, customer service, community relations, etc.. because anyone can make a quality pizza at a good price. (Despite the arrogance of some in the pizza industry.)

One of the reasons i make pizza at home, besides the fact that I enjoy doing it, is that I use top quality ingredients and it is fresh out of my oven. Also, I know that my kitchen is clean and the pizza is made with care.

TomN
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 07:43:36 PM by TomN »

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 09:47:50 PM »
because anyone can make a quality pizza at a good price. (Despite the arrogance of some in the pizza industry.)

I don't agree with this nor matter how you define pizza. We know without the slightest doubt that it's not true for Neapolitan or NY pizza. I've had plenty of bad American, California, and Chicago style pies too.

If they can all make quality pizza, why don't they? What arrogance are you referring to?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 10:03:10 PM »
Well I think anyone with a passion for it, can eventually make a quality pizza, but price can depend on ingredients. As for arrogance, I think he's referring to big pizza chains? I don't know.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 10:13:35 PM »
I was thinking the pizza chains too. The fast food/McDonalds of pizza

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 10:38:45 PM »
Since I also don't know what arrogance Tom is referring to, I'd like to have a few examples of it.

Peter

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 01:27:56 AM »
I don't agree with this nor matter how you define pizza. We know without the slightest doubt that it's not true for Neapolitan or NY pizza. I've had plenty of bad American, California, and Chicago style pies too.

If they can all make quality pizza, why don't they? What arrogance are you referring to?

Anyone can make a good pizza, not everyone can make a great pizza that is true to the style of pizza that they are promoting.

Sometimes a pizzeria could make a better quality pizza, but they won't. Therefore, they cut corners on ingredients. They purposely use a lower priced blend of cheese, sauce that is watered down, or dough that is made with the cheapest flour so they can sell a $5.00 pizza to people who never had better pizza or can't afford better.  There is a big chain that does this.

As for arrogance, i have stood in some pizzerias that were just down right rude to people because they thought their pizza was so great or sought after.  (I am not talking about everyone here, i am just remembering a few) No Soup for you, come back in one year, attitudes. Sorry to say.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 01:30:56 AM by TomN »

pizzapan