Author Topic: Trying to make dough rise just a bit more - Please help  (Read 800 times)

Offline sammybotz

• I Love Selling Pizza!
    • Salvatore's
Trying to make dough rise just a bit more - Please help
« on: April 29, 2013, 12:46:25 AM »
Recipe I am using in my home oven with a pizza screen at 450 Degrees (maxed out temperature) is:

======================================
    1 teaspoon white sugar

1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)

1 tablespoon active dry yeast

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 teaspoon salt

3 1/4 cups whole wheat flour

I am using the montana spring flour here:
http://www.philforemost.com/flour/hard_wheat.htm

========================================

I just want my dough to rise slightly more, not too much more. Trying to get that New York Style crust but it's too thin now. I'm from New York so I'm familiar with the thickness it should be. Can someone please advise me on a tweak to my above recipe to accomplish this?

Thank you very much, Salvatore

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Trying to make dough rise just a bit more - Please help
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 08:34:55 AM »
Salvatore,

It might help The Dough Doctor (and others) if you describe your dough preparation and management process up to the point where you use the dough to make pizzas. Also, it might help to know what dough ball weight you are using and what size pizza you are making with that amount of dough. In your explanation also indicate how you prepare the ADY for use.

In addition to the above, can you tell us how specifically you measure out your flour by volume? For example, do you lift the flour from the flour bag with a tablespoon or scoop into your measuring cup to the point of overflowing and then level the top, or do you use your measuring cup and scoop the flour out of the bag and then level? Or maybe you are using some other method.

BTW, the link you referenced is for a relatively high protein flour milled from hard spring wheat. It is not a whole wheat flour. It sounds like you are using the flour shown in the Montana link

Peter

Offline sammybotz

• I Love Selling Pizza!
    • Salvatore's
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 02:50:07 AM »
Sorry for the delay, for some reason the forum never emailed me that I got a reply.

My directions for using my montana spring hard wheat flour are below.

This is how we measure the flour at this time:
"scoop into your measuring cup to the point of overflowing and then level the top"

16 ounces for a 16" pizza

I just want the dough to rise slightly more, it's a bit too thin. Hopefully I can get a tip on how to achieve this. Thanks very much for reading and helping.

---------------
Directions

In a large bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water. Sprinkle yeast over the top, and let stand for about 10 minutes, until foamy.

Stir the olive oil and salt into the yeast mixture, then mix in the whole wheat flour and 1 cup of the all-purpose flour until dough starts to come together. Tip dough out onto a surface floured with the remaining all-purpose flour, and knead until all of the flour has been absorbed, and the ball of dough becomes smooth, about 10 minutes. Place dough in an oiled bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover loosely with a towel, and let stand in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

When the dough is doubled, tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and divide into 2 pieces for 2 thin crust, or leave whole to make one thick crust. Form into a tight ball. Let rise for about 45 minutes, until doubled.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Roll a ball of dough with a rolling pin until it will not stretch any further. Then, drape it over both of your fists, and gently pull the edges outward, while rotating the crust. When the circle has reached the desired size, place on a well oiled pizza pan. Top pizza with your favorite toppings, such as sauce, cheese, meats, or vegetables.

Bake for 16 to 20 minutes (depending on thickness) in the preheated oven, until the crust is crisp and golden at the edges, and cheese is melted on the top.
----------------------

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 07:48:25 AM »
Salvatore,

Thank you for the additional information.

What I did not see from your added discussion is how much whole wheat flour you are using and how much all-purpose flour you are using.

Peter

Offline sammybotz

• I Love Selling Pizza!
    • Salvatore's
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 08:18:42 AM »
Thank you so much for your reply Pete.

I am not using any all-purpose flour. Is that the problem ?

If so can you please give me a recipe using the all-purpose combined with the hard-wheat flour ?

I am using just this HARD-wheat flour at this time, no whole wheat, I cannot get whole wheat here, so I just want a combo of hard wheat and all-purpose if that will help it rise a little more:
http://www.philforemost.com/flour/hard_wheat.htm

thanks again, it means a lot to me.

pizzapan