Author Topic: PH Pan Pizza. Having trouble getting the bottom crunchy  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Miami_Pizzaman

PH Pan Pizza. Having trouble getting the bottom crunchy
« on: April 29, 2013, 10:19:02 PM »

Last time I made this pizza for a get together, I got rave reviews. But now that my pizza stone is gone, I can't get enough heat into the bottom.

I remember what I used to do before; I would put the pizza stone on the top rack and set the oven to broil.  I would let the stone get extremely hot for a long time. Then I would move the stone to the middle rack and the pan would sizzle big time. The crust was sheer perfection.

Without the stone now, I either buy one, or perhaps use the stove top for the "frying" part of this recipe.

What do you guys think?....is putting a cake pan on a stove top a recipe for disaster?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: PH Pan Pizza. Having trouble getting the bottom crunchy
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 11:16:24 AM »
Not really sure how to approach this. On your last one did you put oil in the pan before the bake and if so did the crust soak up/cook off all that oil...was the bottom dry? You will need some oil present in there to get your crisp right.
I suppose you could put your pan on the burner but you will need to quickly be able to adjust the burner level to get this right...might work better to place the pan inside a larger(cast iron)pan that is preheated on that stove top. Could also always pull the pizza and place on the cast iron pan but that is only going to crisp the bottom.
But since you got such great reviews last time...why not just spring for a new stone?  :)

Good luck Pizzaman!

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline slybarman

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 02:49:14 PM »
When I made the PH pan recipe a few times a couple of months ago, if the bottoms were not browned enough to my liking, I just put the cast iron skillets I was using onto the stove top burner for a minute or two on medium heat. It browned up just fine.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 03:00:56 PM »

What do you guys think?....is putting a cake pan on a stove top a recipe for disaster?
Yes?

Offline Miami_Pizzaman

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 09:36:33 PM »
Well I tried putting the cake pan on the stove top. It couldn't handle the heat and bowed so that only the center was touching the stovetop. Still, far more cooking power made it to the oil and dough as opposed to baking in the oven, so it fried up crunchy and slightly browned. I think the method is workable, but it would need a sturdier pan and probably a lower setting on the stovetop.

The top of the dough was 100 percent uncooked, as you would expect.  I removed the now crunchy and raw dough and improvised a very delicious calzone out of it. The crunchy part rolled to the inside while the raw outside baked in my pizzamaker.

If I can perfect this method, I think it would prove to be faster than heating up a pizza stone. Also, it's more convenient to inspect the dough bottom while cooking on the stovetop, so that you can get the 'doneness' just right.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 09:38:19 PM by Miami_Pizzaman »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 10:47:43 PM »
Well I tried putting the cake pan on the stove top. It couldn't handle the heat and bowed so that only the center was touching the stovetop. Still, far more cooking power made it to the oil and dough as opposed to baking in the oven, so it fried up crunchy and slightly browned. I think the method is workable, but it would need a sturdier pan and probably a lower setting on the stovetop.

The top of the dough was 100 percent uncooked, as you would expect.  I removed the now crunchy and raw dough and improvised a very delicious calzone out of it. The crunchy part rolled to the inside while the raw outside baked in my pizzamaker.

If I can perfect this method, I think it would prove to be faster than heating up a pizza stone. Also, it's more convenient to inspect the dough bottom while cooking on the stovetop, so that you can get the 'doneness' just right.
Well dang man...I thought you were going to cook it in the oven first and wanted to know if you could then finish it off on stove top.  :-\  What in the world were you thinking....you just blew my mind bro!   :-D

Offline grathan

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 10:57:59 PM »
I rely on the bottom burner to heat my pan up and don't like using stove top burners. I use a good amount of oil to get pizza hut type crust.

I preheat my oven to 550*F. when I throw my pizza in, I expect the bottom burner to glow red hot %50 of the time. The rack is right down lowest position. I peek under the crust often, but pretty much know this shouldn't turn black on the bottom. When it gets slightly brown I switch to broiler burner(top) and just leave the pan on the bottom rack and wait for the cheese to slightly brown and then call it good.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 11:08:48 PM »
I rely on the bottom burner to heat my pan up and don't like using stove top burners. I use a good amount of oil to get pizza hut type crust.

I preheat my oven to 550*F. when I throw my pizza in, I expect the bottom burner to glow red hot %50 of the time. The rack is right down lowest position. I peek under the crust often, but pretty much know this shouldn't turn black on the bottom. When it gets slightly brown I switch to broiler burner(top) and just leave the pan on the bottom rack and wait for the cheese to slightly brown and then call it good.
This oven sounds like it is working good. I'll bet with just a couple of trials you could find the sweet spot temp where you could probably place your pizza on the center rack, set your timer and just leave it alone an it will be perfect for you every time.   Set it an forget it.  :chef:

Offline Miami_Pizzaman

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 07:23:31 AM »
Well dang man...I thought you were going to cook it in the oven first and wanted to know if you could then finish it off on stove top.  :-\  What in the world were you thinking....you just blew my mind bro!   :-D

Well I was making so many test pizzas that my fridge was full of leftovers, so I realized it wasn't an entire pizza I was testing, but rather the frying of a dough bottom in particular.

I like to partially bake the top of the pizza before putting toppings so that it doesn't come out soggy and doughy, so I may end up doing a process of ...bake with no toppings, fry on stove, then put toppings and bake again (perhaps the broil setting).

Or...

I may just bake plain, add toppings and bake again, then fry.  Yes I'm still experimenting. I may end up with a lot of calzones in the process. :)