Author Topic: Practice Session with Molino Pasini  (Read 2772 times)

Offline bakeshack

Practice Session with Molino Pasini
« on: April 30, 2013, 12:58:31 AM »
I made dough yesterday just to practice baking multiple pies, turning skills, etc.  I also wanted to try the new flour I got from Molino Pasini.  I wanted to make 9-10" pizzas so I can fit 3 at a time inside my oven.  It was very difficult so I ended up baking 2 at a time.  These are 200 gram dough balls and I ended up with pizzas closer to 11 inches in size.  These baked for about 40 secs or maybe even less than that.

100% Molino Pasini Linea Verde
60% Water
0.09% Fresh yeast
3% Salt

Hand kneaded.  10 hrs bulk @ 60F and 15 hrs balled @ 68-70F. 

The pizzas were extremely soft and tender.  The flavor was also very good similar to Caputo.  This flour is a bit weaker than Caputo so it is ideal for same day dough or overnight fermentation. 

I folded the pizza al libretto 3 hrs after I baked it to illustrate how soft the pizza was.  There was no toughness at all and it will stay that way even if I leave it overnight at room temp.

Some pics:

« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 01:02:57 AM by bakeshack »

Offline PetersPizza

Re: Practice Session with Molino Pasini
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 01:41:52 AM »
BEAUTIFUL!

Offline p.elkjaer

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 01:50:31 AM »
+1

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 01:52:12 AM »
If the final product is any indicator of your skill, I'd say you're done practicing, Bakeshack.

Oh, and at 40 seconds, it might be nearly impossible for me to tend to three pies at the same time(I'll have to try it sometime, lol). I have my hands full with two. One of things that is ironic about these boards is that a lot of us try to "replicate" or get close to a style or a product that is as good as a pizzeria that we perceive to be a standard to aim for. The truth is that, especially where NP is concerned, guys here(pizzamaking forum), such as bakeshack, TXCraig and others, are actually producing a far superior pizza to anything that I have ever bought. Many reasons for that, such as experience and experimentation, but the amount of attention to detail(workflow, measurement of ingredients and timing) is something that even the places in Naples cannot achieve perfect consistency with. When I see pies like the above, it also reminds me that "less is more". I've been to some NP places where they are baking 6 to 8 pies at a time. While most of them turn out pretty nice, some of them inevitably get over-charred on one side or the other, or even get streaky black marks on the bottom from an oven floor that is too hot in spots. Baking fewer pies at a time simply allows for more attention("love") to each pie during a very critical, short period of time. But you see bakeshack's pies and it is obvious that each one got just the right amount of "love".

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 10:10:55 AM »
Very nice looking pies. :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 11:40:58 AM »
Thanks, guys! 

f.montoya, thanks!   I am practicing for my son's bday party in about 3 weeks where I expect to have about 60-70 guests.  You know that even with 2 pies, it is still quite stressful especially with the fast bakes that we are aiming for but we can't get what we want in a pizza any other way.   ;D  I only do 2 if I have more than 20 guests so I can keep up with them.  Most of the time, I prefer to do 1 pizza only. 

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »
Marlon,

It looks like lunchtime in a leopard colony, right there it does! I have only seen leopard spots that numerous on old episodes of "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom", with your namesake Marlon(sic) Perkins.

Once again with the "background bread"!!! You're killing me!!! :drool:

And where are you that you have access to these great flours? You are a lucky (and highly skilled) pizzaiolo.

Much respect!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 12:32:22 PM »
Marlon,

It looks like lunchtime in a leopard colony, right there it does! I have only seen leopard spots that numerous on old episodes of "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom", with your namesake Marlon(sic) Perkins.

Once again with the "background bread"!!! You're killing me!!! :drool:

And where are you that you have access to these great flours? You are a lucky (and highly skilled) pizzaiolo.

Much respect!

John K

:-D

Thanks, John!  The background bread was for you actually.  I exposed the crumb to see if you will notice it.   ;D

I am in Orange County, CA and I met these guys at the Pizza Expo.  I asked them where I could buy and they just referred me to their distributor in LA.

Marlon

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 02:43:43 PM »
:-D

Thanks, John!  The background bread was for you actually.  I exposed the crumb to see if you will notice it.   ;D

I am in Orange County, CA and I met these guys at the Pizza Expo.  I asked them where I could buy and they just referred me to their distributor in LA.

Marlon

Marlon,

I am glad that someone as skilled as you has unfettered access to different building blocks such as this flour. However I believe that you could find a way to make delicious looking pies out of a packet of "crust mix" from my daughter's EZ Bake Oven!

The crumb on that bread, by the way, looks fantastic.

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline taylorpetrehn

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 02:59:21 PM »
Amazing pies!

Offline csafranek

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 03:06:59 PM »
What kind of oven do you have? Pics of oven? Thank you, Chad

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 03:19:46 PM »
What kind of oven do you have? Pics of oven? Thank you, Chad

It's just a homemade oven.  I posted a picture here - 

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21730.40.html

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 03:50:17 PM »
marlon, awesome as usual. was that the flour guy that was doing 24 hour room dough that was very soft and thick.if so his pies were delicious.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 04:40:33 PM »
marlon, awesome as usual. was that the flour guy that was doing 24 hour room dough that was very soft and thick.if so his pies were delicious.

Larry, thank you!  I think that was Molino Iaquone.  Those pies were really delicious.  The Molino Pasini did not have any sampling.  I just saw them in a smaller booth. 

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 08:18:09 PM »
Bakeshack,  beautiful pizzas the crumb shots are beautiful as well.  I was wondering if the pizza expo was in Orange County, I would like to attend sometime.

Vince.

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 09:09:38 PM »
Thanks, guys! 

f.montoya, thanks!   I am practicing for my son's bday party in about 3 weeks where I expect to have about 60-70 guests.  You know that even with 2 pies, it is still quite stressful especially with the fast bakes that we are aiming for but we can't get what we want in a pizza any other way.   ;D  I only do 2 if I have more than 20 guests so I can keep up with them.  Most of the time, I prefer to do 1 pizza only.

Hey Marlon, I've got a party the day after tomorrow for 24 guests and a party next weekend(May 12th) for another 27. I had two parties in April as well. The first one was 50 guests and the second was a just a small gathering of 20. Here's some advice to help you keep up...

1. Prep everything, including your oven, so that you are ready to bake at least 45 minutes prior to the first guests arrival time.
2. Half-bake about a dozen pies and leave to cool on metal mesh, or anywhere that you can allow air to flow across the pie bottoms. For a pre-bake, I actually calculate about 1/3 pie per guest so if I'm expecting 20 people to show up at the same time, I half-bake around 6 or 7 pies before the party.
3. As the first guests begin to arrive, start finishing off your pre-baked pies. This should be around 25 to 35 seconds each, which in a WFO should sufficiently finish off the bake. Ideally, if you've trained an apprentice in the art of using the turning peel, this would free you up to start making more fresh pies.
4. Since the main attraction at my 50-guest party was the pizza, and not any particular activity, we separated the guest list into 3 groups of about 16 people and had them arrive at three separate times, 11:30a, 12:00p and 12:30p. With the rest of the parties activities at 1:00pm, This enabled me to keep up with the baking for smaller numbers of people, rather than having a huge line of 50 people waiting just to get a slice at my pace of two pies at a time. Luckily, I had a trained apprentice to help with the baking, so everything went quite well.
5. If you have yet another person to help you, let them take care of cutting and serving pies and bringing back serving plates.
6. Buffet style = No waste. I keep about 4 plates on a table and as the pies are devoured, I replenish with fresh pies. When I see there are still several slices left, and no one is grabbing at them any more, I stop making pies and relax with a nice glass of red wine or an ice cold Asahi Super Dry. I think parties where guests get their own pies are harder to deal with and you'll inevitably get kids who leave some on their plates, that no one eats or gets dropped on the floor. And you'll get adults who try to eat just one more, only to find out their belly has no more space.

Also, I know some people have pizza parties where they let the guests try their hand at pizza making, but IMO that simply slows everything down to a crawl and isn't as fun as it may first sound. In fact, I don't let anyone touch my stuff until everyone is full and ONLY if I have leftover dough and have the energy to show a friend a thing or two. Instead, a couple of months ago, I ordered two "Throw Dough's", that I let my guests have fun with. They always take pics of themselves tossing it and it makes for a fun activity at a pizza party.

Anyway, I wish you luck with your party! I'd love to see some pics of you in action!

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 10:52:31 PM »
Bakeshack,  beautiful pizzas the crumb shots are beautiful as well.  I was wondering if the pizza expo was in Orange County, I would like to attend sometime.

Vince.

Thank you!  The Pizza Expo was at Las Vegas.  I was able to meet a few members here as well. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 11:27:59 PM »

2. Half-bake about a dozen pies and leave to cool on metal mesh, or anywhere that you can allow air to flow across the pie bottoms. For a pre-bake, I actually calculate about 1/3 pie per guest so if I'm expecting 20 people to show up at the same time, I half-bake around 6 or 7 pies before the party.

???
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 12:15:26 AM »
Wow ! One of my favorite flours at pizza expo"
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 03:08:54 AM »
???

It's just for the kids. They don't know the difference, nor do they care.  ;)

pizzapan