Author Topic: Practice Session with Molino Pasini  (Read 1964 times)

Offline f.montoya

• Supporting Member
Re: Practice Session with Molino Pasini
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 03:41:51 AM »
It's just for the kids. They don't know the difference, nor do they care.  ;)

Or to elaborate, you can't feed 50 hungry guests(even if they are kids) all at the same time, even in a timely manner...even with a WFO. But when the kids show up, if you have a decent number of pies that haven't gotten soggy on the bottom, and where you refrained from giving them their last couple of turns in the oven beforehand, then it's just a matter of minutes where you can have 7 or 8 piping hot pies all ready at pretty much the same time. Of course this is something that is undesirable where "authenticity" and the absolute best pie one can make is concerned. However, one has to balance such aspirations with logical feasibility when attempting such ambitious parties.

I had recently decided to try this when I had finished a relatively small party (9 adults) and stumbled onto the idea when I let a friend try his hand at pizza making. He did a decent job but under-baked his pie a bit. Nobody noticed because we were all full and too busy talking to eat it, much less cut it. About 40 minutes later, my daughter got home from school and she was hungry. She's not a pizza aficionado in the least, but she does love pizza. Since that pie was sitting there uncut, I thought "why not just throw it back in the oven to re-heat it?". It was then that I noticed that is was slightly under-baked on one side of the pie. So I put it in the oven, the undercooked side nearest the flame, rotated it a bit to finish it and domed it to add some heat to the top of the pie. The result? Still tasted great and didn't seem to look much different than any other pie that day...except for a bit more of a browning in place of the earlier pies' leoparding.

Since then, I feed my guests' kids immediately when they arrive. They still get to eat "start, straight-to-finish" pies soon afterward, but 6 sizzling pepperoni pizzas, ready right when the kids show up at the party, is all the same to them. The parents know it's necessary and they even thank me for going to the trouble of starting to bake pies before they arrive. Once the kids are out of the way, it's time to impress my adult friends with some of the best pizza they will ever taste...unless luckily they find themselves in Marlon's backyard someday.  :)

Offline derricktung

• Za Pi - Creating Neapolitan Style Pizza, One Dough at a Time
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 06:39:53 AM »
Beautiful looking pies! 

And great advice from F.Montoya... I'm trying to decide how much of this strategy I can use for the farmers market I'll be at.  Even if not much, I know that my own parties and some catering gigs may be perfect with this strategy...

How long do you prebake a pie for?  And how do you store/stack the prebakes, especially if they have cheese on them? 
Check out our new venture - Za Pi - www.za314.com

Offline f.montoya

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 08:48:29 AM »
Beautiful looking pies! 

+1.

... I'm trying to decide how much of this strategy I can use for the farmers market I'll be at.   

I think if you are selling pizzas, people/customers are just fine with standing in line for as long as it takes. In such cases, it's best to just bake fresh to order.

In a party setting, especially at one's home, guests always expect to be taken care of by their host within a timely manner, and a good host should never leave any one guest empty-handed for more than 15 minutes. That means at least offer them something drink within that time, and within the next 15, a good host should be able to serve some eats...in this case pizza. Now if it's BYOB, you might be in more of a hurry. Some people might offer some other things like chips and dip, or whatnot, but I won't have that at my pizza parties.

Even if not much, I know that my own parties and some catering gigs may be perfect with this strategy...

I think with catering, you might want to explain what you're doing as a "Prep-for-initial-rush" and never use the word "fresh" to describe the pies that you will later be baking during their event as it implies that the ones you prepped are in some way "stale", which they certainly are not! I would say something like this: "It's important to me that you and your guests eat my Neapolitan pizza while it's hot & bubbling, right out of the oven.  Since I'm sure that you wouldn't want any of your guests waiting too long for a great pie and eating experience, I'm taking about 10 pies or so to 70% completion before your guests arrive. This will allow me to get plenty of piping hot pies to your guests pretty much as they are arriving."

But for your own parties, especially where kids are concerned, no one will bat an eye. :)

How long do you prebake a pie for?  And how do you store/stack the prebakes, especially if they have cheese on them?

As you know, especially with a WFO, there really can't be a "bake for" time. What I do is try to duplicate my friend's mistake. That is just deny it the last couple of turns. I keep the pre-baked pies on a steel mesh, which is really an extra large Japanese barbeque grill. In Japan, barbeque's are all about small, bite-sized pieces of meat and vegetables. If they used the American type of grill, all their food would fall through and into the fire. Here is a picture of one of the smaller ones I have. (I have another one that is 90cm by 60cm and I can leave six 11" pies on that with no problem)

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2013, 09:05:24 AM »
Hey Marlon, I've got a party the day after tomorrow for 24 guests and a party next weekend(May 12th) for another 27. I had two parties in April as well. The first one was 50 guests and the second was a just a small gathering of 20. Here's some advice to help you keep up...

1. Prep everything, including your oven, so that you are ready to bake at least 45 minutes prior to the first guests arrival time.
2. Half-bake about a dozen pies and leave to cool on metal mesh, or anywhere that you can allow air to flow across the pie bottoms. For a pre-bake, I actually calculate about 1/3 pie per guest so if I'm expecting 20 people to show up at the same time, I half-bake around 6 or 7 pies before the party.
3. As the first guests begin to arrive, start finishing off your pre-baked pies. This should be around 25 to 35 seconds each, which in a WFO should sufficiently finish off the bake. Ideally, if you've trained an apprentice in the art of using the turning peel, this would free you up to start making more fresh pies.
4. Since the main attraction at my 50-guest party was the pizza, and not any particular activity, we separated the guest list into 3 groups of about 16 people and had them arrive at three separate times, 11:30a, 12:00p and 12:30p. With the rest of the parties activities at 1:00pm, This enabled me to keep up with the baking for smaller numbers of people, rather than having a huge line of 50 people waiting just to get a slice at my pace of two pies at a time. Luckily, I had a trained apprentice to help with the baking, so everything went quite well.
5. If you have yet another person to help you, let them take care of cutting and serving pies and bringing back serving plates.
6. Buffet style = No waste. I keep about 4 plates on a table and as the pies are devoured, I replenish with fresh pies. When I see there are still several slices left, and no one is grabbing at them any more, I stop making pies and relax with a nice glass of red wine or an ice cold Asahi Super Dry. I think parties where guests get their own pies are harder to deal with and you'll inevitably get kids who leave some on their plates, that no one eats or gets dropped on the floor. And you'll get adults who try to eat just one more, only to find out their belly has no more space.

Also, I know some people have pizza parties where they let the guests try their hand at pizza making, but IMO that simply slows everything down to a crawl and isn't as fun as it may first sound. In fact, I don't let anyone touch my stuff until everyone is full and ONLY if I have leftover dough and have the energy to show a friend a thing or two. Instead, a couple of months ago, I ordered two "Throw Dough's", that I let my guests have fun with. They always take pics of themselves tossing it and it makes for a fun activity at a pizza party.

Anyway, I wish you luck with your party! I'd love to see some pics of you in action!

Francisco,

Don't want to steer this thread off topic, but I think your suggestions are pertinent (and helpful!) in terms of Marlon's upcoming fiesta. I too am going to attempt to serve about 60 of my office staff/kids/friends on May 11. I like the idea of par bakes just to get the "kids" out of the way. And I agree with your rec to NOT let people get into the prep space until everything is otherwise "done" That can slow down even a small gathering to a crawl!

And I just ordered two of those throw doughs. Not sure exactly what type of contest we'll have, but I always like to get the staff into teams and compete for "days off", gift cards, etc.

Wish me/us luck!

I hope this rainy weather lets up!

John K

Offline f.montoya

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2013, 09:20:19 AM »

...And I just ordered two of those throw doughs. Not sure exactly what type of contest we'll have, but I always like to get the staff into teams and compete for "days off", gift cards, etc.

Wish me/us luck!

I hope this rainy weather lets up!

John K

Wow! Now that's a great idea! A dough throwing contest. I think I'll steal your idea for my May 12th party.   ;D

And best of luck with your big gathering!!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 03:18:06 AM by f.montoya »

Offline Seb

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2013, 09:43:45 AM »

Offline Rick M

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2013, 11:43:01 AM »
My grandson just before his 2nd birthday.  Gotta have the Throw Dough!
It was love at first Slice!

Offline f.montoya

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 09:06:04 AM »

Now, that is how you provide the FUN! Nice pic of your grandson, Rick! If you look anything like him, you're probably a good lookin' grandpa!  ;D

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2013, 11:12:04 AM »

Your grandson has "mad pizza skills"!!!

John K

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2013, 12:02:59 PM »
Man that is a really great pic; thanks!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"